Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

B&W Tek BWB-10-OEM - 473nm 10mW

Ha ha yeah I've found those shards of metal glued on a bunch of stuff in these modules. I've been removing them when I think they are being a problem.

For the one I was working one, the mode looks to be in TEM00 but the output is very dirty. That one was labeled "spray mode". Got any tips on how to try to correct that one?

Thanks for all the advice, you've been a great help!

JLSE

Check the IR filter on the outside, if its not that it may just be the LBO
and the only thing you can do there is flip it around in hopes to get a clean(er)
exit point.

The pop can idea made me laugh.. I have seen at least 5 of these with the piece of tin
and the pin hole :crackup: Removing them will gain output, but will allow more 'spray'
through as well. If you can clean the beam by repositioning the LBO its another
way to gain ground..

You can always pull the LBO and have a look at the glare of the coating.. I doubt it
but there may be some debris on it.

You will also find small pieces of indium foil in there for shims. In some cases you may
need to 'rotate' the LBO more or less than what the shim had previously positioned.
The biggest gains I have found were done by this.

Dont forget to let the laser warm up a bit before moving anything. If you start repositioning
from a cold start, you end up working against yourself.. ;)

Check the IR filter on the outside

Wannanurn does it again. :D The IR filter was completely messed up so I just removed it and I'm going to install a new one at some point. Now I got a 40mW 473nm module that peaks at 65mW for under $50. I can't wait to see what I can do with the other broken modules.

JLSE

Good to hear... I haven't seen a bad filter yet, first time for everything I guess.

Another thing you can do is take the round cap that was housing the feedback
sensor, drill out the center, thread it, and add a 445nm 3 element aixiz lens.
It will tame the beam a bit and lower the divergence.

If you run into a broken TEC on the others, let me know, pay shipping and I
can send you a replacement.. It seems to be a common problem in these
lasers.. The ones I gutted for parts netted me a nice little collection of
TEC's :san:

If you find one with a bad TEC its a good thing, it means that nothing was wrong
with the head other than heat issues on the pump medium. If the TEC was
damaged on the LD, chances are the LD may be no good, but again, a good
thing as far as the crystals are concerned.. :D

LaZeRz

Any pics of your new 473 module? :)

I really need to start looking around for a good deal.

Fivos

Gyus my laser is not working at all.. Does it matter I use a 220 volt socket?? I don't know why my my laser doesn't run...

I don't have one of the psu's in front of me at the moment, but off the top of my head I think they're 110v only so at minimum you probably blew a fuse. Worst case you fried the 'brick' and will have to either replace it, or figure out what voltages it was putting out and run the driver off a bench psu.

Fivos

I don't have one of the psu's in front of me at the moment, but off the top of my head I think they're 110v only so at minimum you probably blew a fuse. Worst case you fried the 'brick' and will have to either replace it, or figure out what voltages it was putting out and run the driver off a bench psu.

Thanks a lot.. I will check that..

I'm running them without problems so far at 230v.

In that case, we need more information. Do any of the LED's on the driver come on? etc. Right now it's about like calling a mechanic on the phone and telling him your car won't start.. and expecting him to tell you exactly what's wrong with it just from that.

Last edited:
Gyus my laser is not working at all..
Do not power the laser with the case open unless you have 808nm IR laser goggles. You may already know, just want to be sure.

Last edited:

Fivos

Luckily my socket wire had the problem.. The laser is now working... Sorry for the troubles a caused and for the bad English too.. :) I will leave a review for this laser tomorrow.. ;)

wby300

I also purchased 2 of these last week, I got one with the flouresence probe and one that was listed as being low powered. I paid 55.00 for the one with the fiber and 35.00 for the other one with 14.00 shipping for the set. The probe is setup for 2 different wavelengths to be "combined" as it has a blue tint to the lens from the top and a green tint from the back. These are my first DPSS lasers and I got the good one for a project I have and the other to play with. I am going to try all the tweaking you guys are doing and if I can find the program for the computer I will try that also. I have a USB RS232 adapter for my motorcycle that should still work. Where could I get the software? I am signing up on the B&W Tek site as a customer to see if I can get it there. I am not even sure which one of the softwares would run the standard laser. Has any one tried the jumpers on the board? They might acomplish the same as the software only mechanically. Both the lasers I got actually work about the same, the one is a little under powered but neither was warmed up. So now I have 2-473nm, 1-1.3w 445nm and 1-45mw 405nm I made the host for. I have 2-680nm diodes a 150mw and a 250mw but I need the drivers and lenses for them still. I need a 532 next and I would like to find a mid powered diode further into the UV spectrum, around 375 or so.

You're beginning to get quite a nice collection wby300! UV lasers are quite rare, I have a 355nm tripled yag I still need to build a power supply for, but those aren't very common. I've once seen one for sale at this forum and only about a handfull on ebay in a few years time. Nitrogen lasers at 317 would be more common, but they're pulsed.

The probe is setup for 2 different wavelengths to be "combined" as it has a blue tint to the lens from the top and a green tint from the back.

Actually this isn't true. The fluorescence head on these isn't made to combine wavelengths. What it does is send all the 473nm out the end of the probe, and doesn't let much of it reflect back. The other fiber connection is meant to attach to a spectrometer, not another laser. the 473nm illuminates the target, and the light reflected off the target goes to the spectrometer.