Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

B&W-tech Spectrometer & 473 module: Setup+Mods+Info

Re: B&Wtech 473nm unit / Spectrometer Mods & Info

Great to see some new information added.

Did anyone manage to get semi accurate results with one of these spectro's yet?

J

My devices are in raw condition or a bit defect :yabbmad: and i have to combine the best of the components step by step.
End of the week i will post some snaps of the spectrosoftware.
In the first tests i have seen, that the baseline without optical input signal was realy unevenly rough and every device had an other baselevel.
The amplitude of incomming optical signal was also different by each device and cut by the bevel inside the spectro.
Also the laserspots behing the fiber was very different in appearance and strength and the beamplitters seens to have different dielectric mirrors..
Thats the reason for me to combine different components.
Pictures will follow as soon as possible, ..... step by step ....

At the homepage of the publisher of the software (seems so that they use this device-source) you will find this youtube-video.
Here you see the possibility to calibrate the device with this software by the included database of element-spectas ....

https://youtu.be/QYhpttexAyM

Last edited:

My devices are in raw condition or a bit defect :yabbmad: and i have to combine the best of the components step by step.
End of the week i will post some snaps of the spectrosoftware.
In the first tests i have seen, that the baseline without optical input signal was realy unevenly rough and every device had an other baselevel.
The amplitude of incomming optical signal was also different by each device and cut by the bevel inside the spectro.
Also the laserspots behing the fiber was very different in appearance and strength and the beamplitters seens to have different dielectric mirrors..
Thats the reason for me to combine different components.
Pictures will follow as soon as possible, ..... step by step ....

Not sure how you came by your spectrometers, but we got them as part of a 473nm DPSS laser that was used to evaluate carotinoid levels. The optical bench has two baffles that are easily removed and once that is accomplished, they have a bandwidth from ~450nm to ~650nm. It is important to not touch any of the optics inside the bench or to leave it open any longer than necessary. My problems were associated with the software we were using. I have downloaded your app, but haven't had the time or the chance to try it out yet. These are not my only spectrometers. I also have an Ocean Optics USB2000+. It is paired with the OEM software and works quite well for my purposes.

Not sure how you came by your spectrometers, but we got them as part of a 473nm DPSS laser that was used to evaluate carotinoid levels. The optical bench has two baffles that are easily removed and once that is accomplished, they have a bandwidth from ~450nm to ~650nm. It is important to not touch any of the optics inside the bench or to leave it open any longer than necessary. My problems were associated with the software we were using. I have downloaded your app, but haven't had the time or the chance to try it out yet. These are not my only spectrometers. I also have an Ocean Optics USB2000+. It is paired with the OEM software and works quite well for my purposes.

I bought this parts from the ebayer wizardoforem, these devices are the same as we are talking about.

Attachments

• 20180124_193402.jpg
    20180124_193402.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 79

They do appear to be the same spectrometers. Others here have complained about their ability to work as well as we thought they should, but I chalked that up to the software.

I will test at first the newest unit i have, its a model BPS473 Rev. 11.07.
At the spectrometer-motherbord is missing a shilding, this was laying in the box between some foil. The seller said "that does not matter" :undecided: .
Therefor i will repair it und test the unit laiter again.
The software can save *.csv , *.spc and it can print a picture of the spectrum.
Here the first screenshots-pictures with the software without calibration,
first without laser and cap on the optical input,
than the same as print from the software
than without laser and white light input ,
than with laser on
and last with aditional an object before the input.

Attachments

• 1 no laser no shild B.jpg
    1 no laser no shild B.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 1 no laser no shild B2.jpg
    1 no laser no shild B2.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 1 no laser but light no shild B.jpg
    1 no laser but light no shild B.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 1  laser no shild b.jpg
    1 laser no shild b.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 1 laser no shild hand B.jpg
    1 laser no shild hand B.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 43

I had a look at the motherbord with the missing shild.
At this place is the ltc1605aisw, the LTC®1605 is a 100ksps, sampling 16-bit A/D converter vor the ccd. Because it is placed near the fan ..... the shilding is necessary and i have to solder it on the bord ....
Let me have a look at the spectra later ....

Attachments

• 20180126_192455.jpg
    20180126_192455.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 20180126_204254.jpg
    20180126_204254.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 20180126_205709.jpg
    20180126_205709.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 74
  • ltc1605aisw.pdf
    390.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Yes, that is a very noisy looking output. It looks as though whoever you got these from decided to play around with them before giving up and passing it on to you. :(

ok, i am ready with soldering and the parts are together and i will post the new pics here, it seem so, that the signals are better and the baselevel lower...

1 without laser, without light-source, cap on input
2 without laser, without light-source, no cap on input
3 without laser, light-source, no cap on input
4 with laser, no cap
5 with laser, object before input

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    224.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    232.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    214.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    234.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 32

You need to use a fiber optic cable to direct light into the spectrometer. If you are just aiming the slit at your light source, you will get inaccurate results. This could also be a source of your noise.

Reactions: GSS

You need to use a fiber optic cable to direct light into the spectrometer. If you are just aiming the slit at your light source, you will get inaccurate results. This could also be a source of your noise.

Hi, now i used a white LED-Torch without the beamsplitter direct with fiber into the spectro.....
Before that the light went thru the beamsplitter of the device

Attachments

• 111.pdf
    74 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

If you have not already removed the baffles, this is likely the source of all your problems. People got these same results prior to removing them in the past. Please check this entire thread for information.

Hi Paul, i read all pages ... i thought .... maybe my english is not the best and i will do it again.

There is a great deal of information in this thread about these B&W Tek spectrometers and the software. I haven't done anything lately with them as I already have a good functional spectrometer and other projects have taken presidence.

Last edited:

I have removed the baffles, than i got a spec without input to reset the baseline in the software withe the menue "use current spectrum as background".

Here now after this the result with white LED-torch.

Seems so, that i have to adjust the last mirror to hit the sensor better

Because there was nothing in the software calibrated, the scale in the base is NOT the wavelenght ... it ist the pixelnumber.

Attachments

• 1c-2.jpg
    1c-2.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 70

That doesn't look right. You should have a single peak, even with a cheap pointer. If it is a 532nm pointer, your IR peak is way to large compared with the green line. I wouldn't have tried alignment of the optical bench until I was sure it was misaligned.

Yeah, second-order diffraction spots can be a bitch to get rid of.