Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Argon Power supply question

can a JDS Uniphase 2110U-SLS power supply work with the 2214-40MLA laser? .

It is posted on Flea bay stating it will a "2214", Sam's and the JDS site are a bit ambiguous if it will work. I just would like confirm it. As always I don't want to buy until 100% sure.

So any confirmations out there? :anyone:

diachi

can a JDS Uniphase 2110U-SLS power supply work with the 2214-40MLA laser? .

It is posted on Flea bay stating it will a "2214", Sam's and the JDS site are a bit ambiguous if it will work. I just would like confirm it. As always I don't want to buy until 100% sure.

So any confirmations out there? :anyone:

Can you post a picture or a link to the listing of the PSU? It SHOULD work if it has a round connector AND a square connector, but I'd like to make sure ;).

Cheers!

Seems I can not post links but it is Item number: 350256727755. or just search for the model number I gave earlier. Thanks Diachi.

Al

diachi

Seems I can not post links but it is Item number: 350256727755. or just search for the model number I gave earlier. Thanks Diachi.

Al

It should work fine by the look of it. It's practically the same as the 2214-40MLA PSU, it's just newer and smaller.

Also, if you read the listing :

These work with the 2211/14/18/19

WOW - Steal that supply now!

The orientation of the AC input power cord pins looks horizontal, all the cords I have seen are vertical, however a phillips head screwdriver and some solder could fix that in a hurry.

Last edited:
I just thought about it...

Anyone on the forum who buys one of those supplies, Just send me a PM, I will GIVE you the proper power connector.

It will be a salvage, but they are only plastic with three metal pins.

I have tons of them lying around.

PS.jpg

Last edited:

diachi

I just thought about it...

Anyone on the forum who buys one of those supplies, Just send me a PM, I will GIVE you the proper power connector.

It will be a salvage, but they are only plastic with three metal pins.

I have tons of them lying around.

PS.jpg

Would it not be easier to just get a cord that fits the already installed connector rather than removing the existing connector, resoldering the connections and replacing it?

Is it just me? :thinking:

This is a 20A power connector, you may want to buy a proper power adapter for it. Underrating components is a great way to cause a fire.

Is that what it is??

I have never seen a cord with that end on it, even big hulking 30 amp copy machines have the bottom illustration on the back.

Where would you find a cord with that bizarre end on it?

P.s. in my line of work, I see these cords every day, they are common on computers, copiers, fax and hi tech appliances.

daguin

The plug is an:

IEC 320 C19

They are being used more and more in OEM installations of "rack type" power strips

Search up the number above and you can find short cords, adapters, etc.

Peace,
dave

The ratings of wire are WAY under what the wire is actually capable of. 18 awg is commonly rated for only 7A, but I have made wire for a medical company using 22AWG that requires the current to be rated at 7A even though there's less than half the copper in 22AWG than there is in 18AWG. The power supplies don't even need 20A (or are these exceptions?) As long as your monitor the temperature of the wire (no more than warm to the touch) the first time you run it, and keep the wire uncovered, you'll have no problem using a lower rated cable.

The ratings of wire are WAY under what the wire is actually capable of. 18 awg is commonly rated for only 7A, but I have made wire for a medical company using 22AWG that requires the current to be rated at 7A even though there's less than half the copper in 22AWG than there is in 18AWG. The power supplies don't even need 20A (or are these exceptions?) As long as your monitor the temperature of the wire (no more than warm to the touch) the first time you run it, and keep the wire uncovered, you'll have no problem using a lower rated cable.

It's just generally unsafe to do. These supplies can draw over 2KW.

I guess I need to look into an adapter as I did not notice the new style adapter. New to me anyway. Thanks again Daquin. Also photonaholic for pointing that out.

As far as changing it out I think that would be unwise. I have seen fires from just Power strips with coiled cords and a lot of current runinng through them. So I agree with Mario Master not a good idea.

Of course I see alot of accidents and Fires. Been doing the USAF equivalent of OSHA for quite a few years.