Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Advice On Cleaning Cheap 532nm Optics

Snecho

I've been experimenting with some cheap Chinese 532nm pointers and I want figure out the best way to clean the lenses.

I know of G2, 3-Element, G7 lenses like the ones used in quality lasers, but I don't know what kind these cheapos have. I assume some kind of basic plastic collaminating lens?image.jpegimage.jpeg

I've been using 91% Isopropyl alcohol and cotton swabs but I was wondering if there's a better way.

The other part is the module itself. Is there a way to clean the output crystal?
image.jpeg

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
The cheapies like the 301/303 types will usually come with acrylic lenses. Rubbing alcohol and a soft brush is probably the best option. Rubbing these lenses with just about anything, even Q-tips, will destroy them. DO NOT clean the crystal set. Don't ever let the crystal get dirty.

This.^^^^^^^^

These lenses are acrylic and being so can be dissolved using any number of solvents, like acetone. They also scratch easily. Never try to clean the crystal set. The best way to maintain them is to never allow them to need cleaning in the first place.

Snecho

I'm feeling like I'm getting a little mixed messages here.

So I shouldn't use rubbing alcohol because it will dissolve the acrylic?

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Isopropanol is OK for the acrylic lenses. Acetone would not be.

How so? What I said in no way contradicts the post previous to it. Remember we are talking about lenses AND the crystal set. Alcohol won't dissolve the acrylic lenses, but use the highest % you can get. I use 99% isopropanol. Neat ethanol exists, but is expensive.

Encap

My guess is there is no real world reason to clean it beyond blowing some dust off the surface of the lens if necessary.
You are just going to end up damaging the plastic lens --degrading it every time you touch it. no matter how you do it.

Try LPF Search and/or Goggle first--there are 100 or more posts in LPF the database concerning lens cleaning already representing a dozen or more members best lens cleaning words of advice and there are 162 million results searching "lens cleaning" on Google .

Cleaning the crystal can be done--- for that matter cleaning the entire thing inside and outside it can be cleaned---just disassemble the entire thing and clean away, clean 100% of it Taking apart and cleaning a $5 laser is worth what --$0.02 to $0.05 maybe if that?

The time and money to clean a $5 to $8 retail, that costs < $1.50 to manufacture, not meant to be user serviceable especially by a user with no building laser skills, knowledge, or experience in what they are doing or imagine they want to do is not warranted---is a waste of time and money---cleaning one cost many times more than a new one.
Just buy a new one and throw away the old one or take it completely apart to see how it ticks if you want to or are interested to do that, have nothing to do, and nobody to do it with ----then throw the disassembled parts/pieces away.

That laser is $5 in China---
Just use it and enjoy it and throw it away if it malfunctions---you can get a new one for less than a cup of good coffee or a box of good quality Q-tips. Buy a couple of them if you like playing with them so you always have a spare.

See that laser for $5 here: https://www.dhgate.com/product/009-532nm-green-laser-pointer-pen-pointer/438612850.html

Last edited:

Snecho

Isopropanol is OK for the acrylic lenses. Acetone would not be.
Ah ok, got it.
How so? What I said in no way contradicts the post previous to it. Remember we are talking about lenses AND the crystal set. Alcohol won't dissolve the acrylic lenses, but use the highest % you can get. I use 99% isopropanol. Neat ethanol exists, but is expensive.
Sorry Paul, I think I misunderstood. The way you worded it just seemed like rubbing alcohol and acetone were both bad. I did hear 90% and higher is the best. I will look for the 99%.

Also, I shouldn't keep using q-tips? And if I understand correctly, the crystal set is uncleanable?

I would try not to clean any of them. If you don't allow anything to adhere to the lens a puff of dry air should take care of any cleaning. The crystal set could be cleaned, if necessary, but it likely never will be.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Yeah, for acrylic lenses q-tips are bad. Discovered that with my first cheap chinese 532. It is, in theory, possible to clean the crystal set but in practice.....not so much. The odds of reassembling things in the precise alignment required are very close to zero without specialized equipment.

Snecho

I would try not to clean any of them. If you don't allow anything to adhere to the lens a puff of dry air should take care of any cleaning. The crystal set could be cleaned, if necessary, but it likely never will be.
Good to know, thank you Paul.
Yeah, for acrylic lenses q-tips are bad. Discovered that with my first cheap Chinese 532. It is, in theory, possible to clean the crystal set but in practice.....not so much. The odds of reassembling things in the precise alignment required are very close to zero without specialized equipment.
So why would the q-tips be bad per say? Even they could scratch the acrylic?

Ps, I'm just talking about the collaminating lens.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
"So why would the q-tips be bad per say? Even they could scratch the acrylic? "

Yep.

You could try a soft, lint free cloth. But, it might be difficult to use unless you remove the lens. That would be a PITA. I keep the lenses on my lasers covered at all times when not in use.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks, what could be used instead 🤔
See my first response. A soft artists brush, sable or equivalent would be my first choice for plastic lenses. Use the alcohol only if absolutely needed. The brush and a puff of canned air will take care of any dust. Fingerprints :mad: will require alcohol.

Snecho

See my first response. A soft artists brush, sable or equivalent would be my first choice for plastic lenses. Use the alcohol only if absolutely needed. The brush and a puff of canned air will take care of any dust. Fingerprints :mad: will require alcohol.
Sorry If I upset you. But when using alcohol for fingerprints, do I apply it with the brush?