Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A Laser Tragedy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Safety first when it comes to my lasers.
I never get one out of it's box (yes, each laser has it's own well padded lockable box) without putting the lanyard around my arm.
All of my tripod mounts are triple Plasti-dip'ed to eliminate scratching of the hosts.

I have machined v-blocks with elastic straps (also Plasti-dip'ed) to set the lasers in, if I am setting up a alignment layout. This prevents the laser from rolling off the table, bench,etc.

Dust caps are keep on all lasers until use.

I wrap all threads(focus,tailcaps) in teflon tape or apply a light coating of teflon paste to prevent thread wear.

All He-Ne have all wiring incased in plastic looms and zip-tied together.

Call me anal, neurotic, whatever (my wife does) but I have never put a scratch on any of my lasers.

Accidents can happen, but you can highly lessen the chances of one with a little common sense.

Last edited:

Nothing wrong with a little OCD.

Attention to details means a lot.

BTW did I ever tell you about the time I was harassing bears in the woods with my 5 watt argon portable, I accidentally reflected the beam off a pool of water and blinded myself, now I am stumbling about in the woods when I fell and broke my leg, still not willing to give up I was hopping along, blind and on one good leg when I tripped and dropped my laser into the path of an oncoming train, Man I hate when that happens............

Last edited:

roosl

BTW did I ever tell you about the time I was harassing bears in the woods with my 5 watt argon portable, I accidentally reflected the beam off a pool of water and blinded myself, now I am stumbling about in the woods when I fell and broke my leg, still not willing to give up I was hopping along, blind and on one good leg when I tripped and dropped my laser into the path of an oncoming train, Man I hate when that happens...

LOL - Hey, pics .. or it never happened!

mkdive

needpics.gif

For a second I thought the first post might be real, man my stomach went into a knot just thinking of the lasers spilling off the roof. My second thought like another stated, I would have been showing that "friend" the shortcut to the pavement below!

I really hate to think that happened, but I also hate to think people trip and fall off buildings as well. If you can't do it safely, just do not do it! btw, I have trouble believing the story, exactly as stated. Sorry just hits me as a fab. btw, I have dropped my share of pen lasers, Used to slip out of my pocket where only a replaceable cheap laser would be kept, and they always lived or got repaired. But from 2-3 feet it's not even close to as bad. -Glenn

Lasher

Correct me if I'm wrong but does not the Herc Lasers mentioned come in there own very well made metal case with thick foam inserts that would most likely bounce right back from a 4 story fall with nothing more than a few dents and the laser intact?

This does smell a bit fishy to me. Pic's anyone?

Lasher

Yes quite fishy... btw, I have a Herc case, and I don't think the G forces from a 2 story fall would be likely to leave the crystals aligned, I've seen Aries lasers without batteries go out from the knocks of shipping with more padding than that. But at least w/ a good padded case, you stand a better chance, up to a few G's -Glenn

sadlaserist-- your avatar --is that the rare six-legged bull(shitter)?? and you say--'Well last evening me and five of my friends were up on my roof starpointing with our lasers'==I know I always go up on the rood of a four story building to do 'starpointing' 'cause ther stars are SO much close that if you are on the ground.----what a load of crap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.