Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

637 nm Red Guidesman - 201mW Build

jakeGT

Re: 637 nm Red Guidesman - 180mW Build

HAHAHA that's funny

Machining? WHERE WHERE WHERE?
I got something for you to machine reallllll soon ray j. Including that guidesman 2 and some driver heatsinks. :shhh: :shhh:

so if i bought one of these diodes it could be dead when i get it ? :'( and that could be bad since these are pricy :(

Helios

so if i bought one of these diodes it could be dead when i get it ? :'( and that could be bad since these are pricy :(

I would NOT make that assumption. There is too many variables at work and not enough cases of it happening to think that these diodes are anymore likely to be DOA than any other.

Please read my post above. Although it is true any diode can be DOA, these diodes are individually tested by Opnext, so they have a very small chance of being DOA.

rhd

My first diode didn't come in the original opnext bag.
Regardless, everyone is right here. Theres no way to know what happened. End of story. Cool?

Ray, I'm going to tackle a 250mw 642nm next.... So the wheels are already turning on cool hosts.

Please read my post above. Although it is true any diode can be DOA, these diodes are individually tested by Opnext, so they have a very small chance of being DOA.

i read it but afai read rhd did not get a replacement. or did i misread something? i mot trolling or sth i just want to be sure with the money i spend..

rhd

Guys, for the record, I didn't even request one. In my mind, if I sold someone a diode , i'd resent (and not believe) them if they told me they hadn't killed it.

cool? I'm not upset. Everyone is happy. And I still trust the source of both diodes. Can everyone focus on this awesome wavelength, and not my unfortunate history along the way ? :)

Last edited:

rhd

Update: I just pushed this to 375mA, and I'm getting 201mW output after acrylic coated lens! This is more terrifying/exciting than any suspense/thriller film I've watched in ages!

getting%20greedy.gif

Update 2: I just pushed this to 388mA, and I'm getting 203mW output. Going to push for 400mA, and then leave it.

Update 3: At 400mA, it peaks down at 160mW. So, I'm going to pull back to 375mA, and hope the diode hasn't suffered irreparable harm.

Update 4: Pulled back to 375mA. The laser peaked back up at 194 mW. Though it's not quite the 201mW I measured it at before, I don't think the 4% discrepancy is the result of damage, but rather just the fact that I've been using the same batteries since I built this guy earlier today, and I think they're starting to fade.

So for my diode, the sweet spot seems to be ~375mA, producing 201mW optical output (acrylic coated)

Last edited:

LaZeRz

STOP pushing that DIODE! its like your "trying" to destroy it :p

anselm

Awesome! How bright do you see the beam @150mW compared to @200mW?
Because, you know, considering the $$$ you might just wanna leave it at 150mW.:whistle:

Unless the difference in brightness is uncanny, which I don't believe it is.
If anything, it must be barely noticeable.

Last edited:

LaZeRz

IMO it should be around the same since at higher currents these increase in nanometers and they also increase in nm when they heat up

@everyone who asks...i will try to get that community focus knob GB going ASAP. Also, im looking around locally at any other place that could possibly get it done, cheaper/faster.

@rhd dang man you got deep pockets... 175 this diode...seems like you dig the 635nm diodes alot.

DJNY

Why are you pushing them? Didn´t you purchase it for the color difference next to 650nm?? Guess you have a >642nm laser now..

Why are you pushing them? Didn´t you purchase it for the color difference next to 650nm?? Guess you have a >642nm laser now..

It doesn't really make sense to me, either.
From all the data sheets I've seen for medium power 635-637nm diodes, they only lase at 635-637nm when they are kept very cool (something like 10C or under?) and when the output power is less than or equal to the rated power.

The wavelength is only getting longer as you push it harder.
So your output (and lifetime) is actually diminishing with increased power.
:thinking:

Well keep in mind that LOC/LCC diodes are ~658nm, not 650nm, so there's a difference. But I agree, why buy a 63Xnm diode for the color difference, only to drive the wavelength dimmer by trying to make it brighter. Just wondering.