Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

577nm Handheld

Ever since I stumbled across Dr.Laser's old thread about his 577nm GLP he had built directly from CNI I've wanted one of my own, even with the eye watering price tag. I knew it likely wouldn't be possible to get a complete GLP through customs but a correctly sized module should have no problem and then I could build one like my "Aquarius" build. Unfortunately CNI either forgot they made a 15mm module or Dr.Laser has got the hookup because the smallest I could get it made was a 26mm module.

Screenshot-2023-06-11-232829.png

Nevertheless I went for it and a month later the module was at my door

Bare-Module.jpg

I'm pretty good at assembling hosts, not so much at making them. To simplify the build I choose to go with 2AAA Nimhs that could be recharged without the need to remove them

Power-PFront.jpg

Power-PRear.jpg

A 5mm barrel connector with an enable switch on the rear and the activation switch on the top.

Assembled-Internals.jpg

The whole battery pack assembly was 3D printed to be the same 26mm external diameter as the laser module so it could all be pressed into an aluminum pipe

Finished-Front.jpg

Finished-Rear.jpg

Overall I think it turned out pretty good. 11mW of 577nm is surprisingly bright and the color is so much more vivid than what I can capture in these pictures.

5Beams.jpg

5Dots.jpg

532nm, 561nm, 577nm, 589nm, and 593.5nm really round this portion of the spectrum.

kecked

How much is the module going for? I had one but it passed away.

It was $620 before shipping. Was the 577nm you had a Lasence or CNI module?

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
That is a sweet build. Now we've had a breakthrough in this part of the spectrum lately with the sudden reappearance of 593.5, here's hoping that these start popping up more too.

Thank you! If these can be made cheaper and smaller I would gladly get another, especially if it could be made into a 12mm module

farbe2

Nice build! Do you think that 577nm looks like it got a touch of green in it? Or do you think its "pure as it gets" yellow?

It is pure yellow, no hints of green or orange in it. I choose this color based off of Dr.Laser's claim that it was pure yellow and I can see why, its an incredible color

Ultimatekaiser has a 2 watt one that I have seen through conversations with him on Skype. He hasn't posted here in awhile. Sure wish he would. Matt lived in Arvada, Colorado which is a suburb of Denver where I lived in the 1990s. But, in those days he was still very young and doubtfully had any of the amazing lasers I've seen of his later.

I've seen that one and it is glorious, I can't imagine what it must look like in person

Nice build, price is high but not as high as I expected. I might try to get my hands on one of these sometime, 577 is a nice pure yellow sweetspot.
You might try Ultimatekaiser. I tried to see if he would part with it years ago, but his price then was too high.

kecked

Last I looked if your lucky 5k for an old used opsl. 20-40k new.

all I want is 100mw of 577nm that modulates clean for graphics. And…to mix with 445nm for the ultimate white laser.

mine was neither. It was a different company. They sold for 30.00. Thinking so,etching similar to OptLasers. They vanished.

I already have an opsl 577, gotta get lucky on ebay. I just meant a portable module like this. The sfd yellows from opt/lasence are a bit too much on the green side and end up looking more pale than 577

This is very nice I’ve always wanted to make a portable laser in this wavelength! Very quality work it looks like. Enjoy it!
Ultimatekaiser has a 2 watt one that I have seen through conversations with him on Skype. He hasn't posted here in awhile. Sure wish he would. Matt lived in Arvada, Colorado which is a suburb of Denver where I lived in the 1990s. But, in those days he was still very young and doubtfully had any of the amazing lasers I've seen of his later.
Yeah my 3 watt genesis is amazing to behold for sure, but it’ll never have the practicality of a little portable like this for general ‘fun’ purposes! :)