Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

495nm Pen Build

Seffers93

Hey LPF,

I saw a post earlier titled 495nm Laser66 Pen Build. I’ve become quickly obsessed with the idea of either building or acquiring one of these. 495nm in a pen build sounds awesome.

I’m new to the forum and apologize if I’ve missed something clearly obvious that would’ve given me the info I needed without making a post.

I searched some websites for different diodes, and anything 495nm seems to be quite pricey. Like $300 pricey. But then the Sharp 488nm is super cheap. Is this accurate or am I looking at the wrong sites? Some of the info I’ve seen is pretty dated so I’m secretly hoping 495’s are a little more common in 2023.

Thanks all,

Seth

P.S. I’m also willing to purchase this build if someone has one.

Last edited:

julianthedragon

FWIW, those Sharp 488's are known to a) vary in wavelength and b) shift up a few nm near their drive limit, if you don't need to hit exactly 495. I also found a few 495 options for more like $200 with a quick google search for "495nm laser diode". Hope this helps

Seffers93

FWIW, those Sharp 488's are known to a) vary in wavelength and b) shift up a few nm near their drive limit, if you don't need to hit exactly 495. I also found a few 495 options for more like $200 with a quick google search for "495nm laser diode". Hope this helps
I did read that on some chart somewhere. Can’t remember the site, but they listed the 488nm as plus or minus 10nm. And the 495nm was plus or minus 5nm.

I suppose the 488’s are cheap enough to push them a ways and not be angry about ruining a diode lol. This whole laser fascination is new to me so $200 on a diode alone is kind of scary.

tinkertavernco

We routinely get ~495nm diodes because we get a ton of 488nm diodes coming through our store - in a few days we’re getting some more in and I will check through them if you’re interested.

Seffers93

We routinely get ~495nm diodes because we get a ton of 488nm diodes coming through our store - in a few days we’re getting some more in and I will check through them if you’re interested.
Definitely interested, thank you

Jordan at DTR also had and may still have some 488 nm diodes that were from an iteration that was well above that into the 490 nm range. Haven't looked at his site lately so I can't say for certain he has any left, but he originally purchased several hundred of them.

Last edited:
Jordan at DTR also had and may still have some 488 nm diodes that were from an iteration that was well above that into the 900 nm range. Haven't looked at his site lately so I can't say for certain he has any left, but he originally purchased several hundred of them.

900 nm range ? Really now ?