Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

473nm coming down?

True that :) I guess a mental filter for the unreasonable is required. But I do however find that deal within the realms of "reasonable". Lets hope we see more of them.

473nm is so much more appealing than 445nm.

Seen them aswell. :)

I've set my limit at $200 incl S&H for a 5-10mW 473nm before I'll dig into the market.

Though realizing that's probably not within this year nor maybe not next depending on how development goes, I am still fascinated with continuously dropping prices.

Benm

I wonder what will happen to 473 in the future really - in many applications its replaced by 445 diodes, so i suspect they might become more rare than they are now. I'm sure they will be around for applications where beam specs are critical, just like red 671 nm dpss lasers are still made, but you don't see those often nor at reasonable prices.

Benm: Yeah. It will be interesting. I am hoping for continuous drops. Dollar drops has done it's part for us Europeans! :D

eytyxhs: Yeah.

Benm

That's a factor too, as fas as these things are still priced in us dollars. I suppose most of these things are made in china though, and they may very well start quoting in euros... every time the cny/usd exchange fix is released the dollar drops considerably which must be bad news for any manufacturer having stock.

That's a factor too, as fas as these things are still priced in us dollars. I suppose most of these things are made in china though, and they may very well start quoting in euros... every time the cny/usd exchange fix is released the dollar drops considerably which must be bad news for any manufacturer having stock.

I would just start quoting a higher price supporting the cost in CNY. But perhaps the value of the CNY has gone downhill along the USD? I have no insight in that currency.

Benm

Its fairly complicated: At some times the CNY is pegged to the USD at a fixed exchange rate, it was at 8.27 to the dollar for 5 years or so up until mid 2005. Then they unpegged it and it fell to 6.8 in a bit over year, when they pegged it again... Until about may of this year, when they had to let go again, and its dropped to under 6.4 in the last few months and seems to continue in the same direction.

If they charge the same prices in CNY, the USD price will have to go up, or they will have to sell their stock at a loss for a fixed price in USD. The conversion rate to EUR was never pegged, but it has been bumping up and down between 9 and 11 since 2003 or so .

GBD

Like anything, its slowly going to come down in price.. 532nm wasn't as cheap nowdays compared to in pre-2000.

Right now the cheapest 473nm/mw I know off, is those surplus labs from Ebay, they will do 10mw average, and some can peak 30mw with modifications. Issue with them additional lenses or work is needed to get a usefull beam, as all of them are uncollimated on the output.

Sadly that is a limited source, and is slowly exaughsting (IIRC he only has the functioning units for sale now, 70$ a piece, before there where units for 35$-40$ that could be fixed fairly easy...even with the 70$ ones, you still need to collimate the output properly. But its 473nm nonetheless)

Last edited:
Sadly that is a limited source, and is slowly exaughsting (IIRC he only has the functioning units for sale now, 70$ a piece, before there where units for 35$-40$ that could be fixed fairly easy...even with the 70$ ones, you still need to collimate the output properly. But its 473nm nonetheless)

Sadly^2 the S&H to Sweden for that auction is a bit to steep for my taste. Especially as I am not very fond of the idea having a lab unit. Unless it goes into a projector ;)

Otherwise I would probably have purchased one of those non-correctly-functioning just to have some troubleshooting fun.

But it's definitely a good deal for the output!