Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

470/473 diode and DPSS...

Hey guys,

I've got a ten year old, first generation, CNI DPSS laser pointer in the "Aurora" host. It fluctuates wildly from 3-17 mw and mode hops like crazy, which is par for the course for really early blues like this.

I'd imagine that blue DPSS has become much more reliable and stable in the past decade, and I'd like to get a new daily use pointer of a stable output of about 15-20mw. Would it be more feasible to try to get this through DPSS or through a direct diode?

I don't really want a 462 be a use I have no interest in over driving it to several watts of power. Searches on the site have proven inconclusive because everyone wants watts, not just color.

Any advice that could be offered, and indeed any links, would be GREATLY appreciated :)

Last edited:

473nm, along with 593.5nm have become a lot better in terms of stability in pointers/handhelds so you're in luck :)

As far as getting 10-20mW's DragonLasers sells some 10mW 473nm Spartans's for $329(plus shipping). Might be worth a look:
Blue Laser Pointers : Dragon Lasers

:beer:

-Alex

Last edited:
Thanks bro. So there's no direct 470nm diodes out yet? The cap is 462 and overdrive?

Thanks bro. So there's no direct 470nm diodes out yet? The cap is 462 and overdrive?

There are some 473nm diodes but the price is terribly expensive($2,000) or in that ballpark! Best way is with DPSS. Plus, you get that cool tight beam haha.

You're welcome :yh:

-Alex

Will a 532 nm green be a tighter beam than an Osram 515nm ?

Thus 532 nm more visible at low 5mw power than the Osram 515nm at 5 mw ? DPSS has more concentrated beam ?

Will a 532 nm green be a tighter beam than an Osram 515nm ?

Thus 532 nm more visible at low 5mw power than the Osram 515nm at 5 mw ? DPSS has more concentrated beam ?

Under normal circumstances, a direct diode laser will have a larger dot but lower divergence than a DPSS laser. The DPSS laser will have a cleaner beam profile however. At a given power level under photopic conditions, a 532 will always be brighter than a 515. Under scotopic conditions, the 515 will tend to be brighter. This has nothing to do with the "tightness" of the beam, but rather the way that the eye perceives color.

Under normal circumstances, a direct diode laser will have a larger dot but lower divergence than a DPSS laser. The DPSS laser will have a cleaner beam profile however. At a given power level under photopic conditions, a 532 will always be brighter than a 515. Under scotopic conditions, the 515 will tend to be brighter. This has nothing to do with the "tightness" of the beam, but rather the way that the eye perceives color.

Thanks.
I noticed at least one 520nm Diode that has an " eliptical beam " which probably won't work well for a visible night beam at 5 milliwatts -right ?

So IF I decide to get someone ( like Lazerer) to make a 5 mw Green in a nice Host ..would I be better off with the Osram Diode ?

I can get the Osram 515 from Z Bolt also but for the price I may be able to get two colors from China.

Advantages of Direct Diode from China is I don't have to worry about the quality of their Infrared Filters.

Max from Lazerer said they will add an IR Filter for $ 5 extra though- good news for a 5 mw user who wants no goggles use.

Do you know if there is a fairly cheap
Blue Direct higher than 450nm ?

Thanks.
I noticed at least one 520nm Diode that has an " eliptical beam " which probably won't work well for a visible night beam at 5 milliwatts -right ?

So IF I decide to get someone ( like Lazerer) to make a 5 mw Green in a nice Host ..would I be better off with the Osram Diode ?

I can get the Osram 515 from Z Bolt also but for the price I may be able to get two colors from China.

Advantages of Direct Diode from China is I don't have to worry about the quality of their Infrared Filters.

Max from Lazerer said they will add an IR Filter for $ 5 extra though- good news for a 5 mw user who wants no goggles use.

Do you know if there is a fairly cheap
Blue Direct higher than 450nm ?

For a direct diode 515/520nm laser you won't need an IR filter. They don't produce excess IR like DPSS lasers such as the 532 do. An IR filter would be a complete waste of money on a diode laser.

The 515/520 would have a nice visible beam at night under dark conditions, but it wouldn't be a lance of fire like a lot of the high powered lasers out there are.

Hey guys,

I've got a ten year old, first generation, CNI DPSS laser pointer in the "Aurora" host. It fluctuates wildly from 3-17 mw and mode hops like crazy, which is par for the course for really early blues like this.

I'd imagine that blue DPSS has become much more reliable and stable in the past decade, and I'd like to get a new daily use pointer of a stable output of about 15-20mw. Would it be more feasible to try to get this through DPSS or through a direct diode?

I don't really want a 462 be a use I have no interest in over driving it to several watts of power. Searches on the site have proven inconclusive because everyone wants watts, not just color.

Any advice that could be offered, and indeed any links, would be GREATLY appreciated :)

473s were always unstable at that power. :) those pens were only made to do something like 2mW, as they dissipate heat poorly. They're made to be a pointer afterall. Mine will do anything up to about 30 ish. but anything over about 3-5 overheats it quite rapidly, and it kills the battery fast. I know how to adjust the GLPs though if you want me to set it somewhere in particular. I purposely have always had mine set to the 3-5mW range for this reason.