Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

445nm Lens Comparisons!

jayrob

Re: 445nm A130 Lens Comparisons!

Yes I'm curious about the 405-G-2, but I traded the 3 that I had to Dave for his Argon. (actually, his argon was a gift, and so I gifted him back!)

But with this diode, I know the G2 will give the same side splash as the G1, so I am happier with the AixiZ 405 lens as shown in the first post...

However, I had forgot about those longer focal length glass lenses that you mentioned! I'll have to mount one of those so I can do a comparison... Especially since the AixiZ 405 is a multi element assembly, and your lens is a single lens...

I'll get to that a little later this evening...

Thanks for reminding me that there is another glass lens to compare... :)

Here is a photo I took with my Hi-Power lens assembly.
445nm.jpg

I see only the two horizontal lines in person,
but the dot is round @ 13 ft. on a white video screen.

LarryDFW

Last edited:

What's the output, and current on that thing Larry?

jayrob

Same as mine... (Larry's picture is focused better and zoomed (cropped) in on the dot. It is not showing the 'splash')

445%20lens%202.jpg

Here's a cropped shot of my same photo above :rolleyes: ...

445%20lens%205.jpg

Larry's lens is the exact same optic as the 405-G-1 unless he has gotten a new lens...

And yes, you will get the most power output with the 405-G-1 as shown in my first post.

However, I recommended what I honestly thought was the best set up for this diode.

If it's max power your after, the 405-G-1 is a decent beam and dot. Just not as clean as the AixiZ 405 glass lens...

Last edited:

But Jay,

my lens retains the BLUE color.
rolleyes.gif

Just Kidding

Kevin;

These are the Voltage and ma readings I got on my 445nm build:
3.70 VDC @ 212 ma - Initial Lasing Threshold
3.90 VDC @ 375 ma
3.97 VDC @ 477 ma
4.09 VDC @ 552 ma
4.15 VDC @ 624 ma ~ 525 mw

LarryDFW

Last edited:

jayrob

Pretty much the same forward voltage readings I got at the two current settings I have tested...

Good information!

:thanks:

P.S. Will, I tried that glass lens you sent me and it didn't do well with this diode...

It must be coated for red because it only gave 175mW's compared to 530mW's with AixiZ 405 glass.

Also, it has wide spreading wings. Not as bad as the stock projector lens, but not desirable...

Last edited:

daguin

I got one of the 445nm diodes built into a Kryton Groove tonight. Sorry. My roommate has guests tonight so no pictures yet.

I am running it at 700mA. I tested the output and beam "look" to compare the 405-G-1 to the 405-G-2. I did not do any "scientific" measurements of the beam. I only visually compared them. Since I only have one laser running with this diode, I could not do a side-by-side comparison, so some "memory" was involved.

Visually, I noticed no difference between the two beams. The "spot" on both of them is a short "line" out at 30 feet.

The output, as measured with my Scientech 365, is also the same. Both of the lenses produced 705mW

So, at the level of "normal" handheld laser use, the two lenses (405-G-1 vs. 405-G-2) would appear to be identical.

Just for fun, I also tried the AixiZ 405 lens (mine is the 1/2 threaded style) and a stock AixiZ acrylic

With the AixiZ 405 lens, the output was 600mW. The spot is MUCH "rounder" with this lens

With the aiXiz acrylic, the output was 540mW. With the heat this thing puts out the front, I would not expect this lens to last too long anyway.

Peace,
dave

I'll add you to the graph dave. What lens are you going to actually keep on it?

daguin

I'll add you to the graph dave. What lens are you going to actually keep on it?

The G-2 lens is in it now with the focus adapter attached. Since it is all together, I'll just leave this one in it.

I posted in the mA/mW thread

Peace,
dave

Kudos to jayrob and daguin for the lens information! I wish the system would let me rep you jay! I'll try later! -Glenn

jayrob

It's all good Glenn! Thanks for the props...

Dave, thanks for reporting back about the 405-G comparisons. I figured they would be identical. Actually I figured the 405-G-1 would be a hair more power since it is much more power with 650 vs the G2.

But I already knew that they were the same output with 405nm. So I guess at 445nm they are also the same...

So you like the cleaner dot of the AixiZ 405 too huh?

Good to hear some verification...

I know that the power is considerably better with the 405-G-1... About 15% more power than AixiZ 405 glass!

I'm going to experiment with maybe a custom machined sleeve/retainer for the 405-G-1...

I don't know if it will work, but I'm going to make the sleeve with one end having a smaller hole. So that the exit beam can be 'clipped'.

You never know... we might end up with the higher output of the 405-G-1, and still clean up that side splash! :)

I don't know if it will work, but I'm going to make the sleeve with one end having a smaller hole. So that the exit beam can be 'clipped'.

You never know... we might end up with the higher output of the 405-G-1, and still clean up that side splash! :)

I've wondered about that for a while now, please keep us informed of the results if you give it a try!

HIMNL9

Just wondering ..... there's no way for know who produce the "aixiz 405nm glass lenses" ?

If only there was a way for get the same AR coating on the triplet in the aixiz one ..... with the natural distortion correction of a triplet scheme, it can be simply wonderful .....

Just dreaming .....

EDIT: BTW, some of the "artifacts / scattering" in the image, can be due from the lens edges reflections / refractions ..... i had some times ago some improvements, against them, painting the external edges and rims of the few lenses that i had here for test, with a permanent marker with very black ink ..... maybe this can help also in this case ? ..... just an idea ;)

Last edited:

jbtm

Makes me wonder, If you put a pot in series with the one on a flexdrive, Will more resistance lower the amps? If so we could just find a small pot with a shaft, drill a hole in the host, and make your self a 200-800mW adjuster...
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=3310C-001-502L-ND

I'm sure most hosts cant fit them anyways...3.16mm diameter shaft. Not sure if you can just cut the thread area to get a closer fit.

Last edited:

jayrob

Just wondering ..... there's no way for know who produce the "aixiz 405nm glass lenses" ?

If only there was a way for get the same AR coating on the triplet in the aixiz one ..... with the natural distortion correction of a triplet scheme, it can be simply wonderful .....

Just dreaming .....

EDIT: BTW, some of the "artifacts / scattering" in the image, can be due from the lens edges reflections / refractions ..... i had some times ago some improvements, against them, painting the external edges and rims of the few lenses that i had here for test, with a permanent marker with very black ink ..... maybe this can help also in this case ? ..... just an idea ;)

Thats the other thing that I was planning on experimenting with...

Taking apart an AixiZ 405 lens, and trying to take out the main optic and replace it with the 405-G-1 to see if it will clean up the 405-G-1...

But like you said... probably dreaming!

daguin

One thing that I neglected to mention last night pertains to the thermopile and the "G" lenses with this diode. At first, I noticed that the output seemed to fluctuate. I worried about that. I checked all the connections and solder joints. Everything was fine, so I did the measurement again.

This time I noticed that with the laser "focused" at the distance of the thermopile, that it was smoking the coating on the thermopile! The smoke was reflecting/blocking the beam :tinfoil:. This is usually easily avoided by defocusing the beam somewhat. However, with this diode and the "G" lenses, the "spot" elongates VERY quickly with defocusing. It is very easy to loose some of the light to the sides of the thermopile housing.

So, be mindful of your focus with this combination when measuring the output.

Peace,
dave

P.S. @ Jayrob -- I sent my comparison info to Will