Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

405nm AR glass lenses - fit AixiZ  FEELER

I can't wait for these lenses! I have been looking forward to them for months now!

IgorT

Re: 405nm AR glass lenses - fit AixiZ  FEELER

robjdixon said:
i might have missed something here, but why do you need 650nm coatings specially built at a much higher cost when aixiz make them?

As far as i know, AixiZ does not make single element glass lenses with or without any coating. They only have a triple element lens.

The triple element lens is not a lens made for power, but for lower beam distortions. It's three lenses, each of them completelly different, and the result is a very parallel beam, with hardly any beams going off to the side - similar results to the much more expensive aspheric lenses, but at the cost of some power.

Due to the three lenses, the losses in such optics are high, so AR coatings are important. All three lenses are AR coated for 650nm, and yet, when i measure that lens on a red, the power is not any higher, than with a clear plastic lens. An AR coated plastic lens (from Dilda) is actually MUCH better when it comes to power, but it has some distortions.

The Meredith glass lens on the other hand increases the power of reds by 20%. That's because of it's larger numerical aperture, and because it is a single element lens AR coated for 650nm..

The idea with the 650nm AR coated custom lenses is to get a similar or same increase in power for red lasers, as with the Meredith lens, but at a much lower price, and hopefully with slightly better fousing properties (for burning).

When the lenses are in, i will test the 405nm ones with blu rays, and the multilayer ones with reds.
But i will also test the multilayer ones with blu rays, to find out the difference in power between a wavelength specific coating and a multilayer coating. That's because the 650nm AR coated lens could have a slightly better transmittance for reds, than the multilayer one, and this experiment will show how much. I will also request transmittance graphs from the manufacturer.

Since the multilayer lenses would only be used in reds anyway, it's better to go for a wavelength specific coating, because of the slightly lower price and a little more power..

P.S. Here is a simulation of a triple element glass lens, that Phenol made a while ago..
The first "square" lens is a Grin lens, that diffracts light by the material properties changing (diffractive index increasing from the center outwards), instead of with shape.

Attachments

• Triple_element_glass_AixiZ_lens.jpg
    Triple_element_glass_AixiZ_lens.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 74

IgorT

I got a tracking number for the lenses! Looks like they were shipped on Thursday or Friday..

They should be here any day now! :D

IgorT

Ha! You know nothing of suspense.. ;)

I'm the one, who has to pay for them before even knowing how they will work..
And when i say "work", i'm not talking about power - i'm just worried about how they will work mechanically - as in inside the AixiZ lens nuts..

Had i chosen an even shorter Focal Length, the lens nut could not go into the module deep enough.. Luckily a shorter FL was not possible.. And with a longer FL, the numerical apperture would be smaller, and there would be a chance it would not collect all the light.

It has to be just perfect!

Any day now... ;)

haha yeah you're right.

will the beam diameter still be good? i read somewhere that it will have a FL closer to that of the acrylic lens.

IgorT

Where did you read that?

The FL is shorter, than with an acrylic. It's between an acrylic and a Meredith glass.
But with acrylics, their FL is only known for 650nm. For 405nm, their FL is a bit shorter - that's why the lens nut has to be deeper in the module for a parallel beam, than with reds..

So i don't know the exact FL of acrylics for 405nm, just like i don't know the exact FL of the Meredith for 405nm.
The custom lens on the other hand, is designed for 405nm. The FL in the specs is correct for 405nm, and for 650nm it's a bit longer.. But still shorter, than with acrylics.. ;)

Oh, and what do you mean by a "good beam diameter"? :D
What would a good beam diameter be?

I wanted it thinner, than with acrylics, but not so thin, that it would negativelly influence burning at different distances.

IgorT said:
Oh, and what do you mean by a "good beam diameter"? :D
What would a good beam diameter be?

mainly just that the beam diameter is decently small. Im not looking for a pin diameter beam with high divergence, or a pencil thick beam... somewhere in between.

either way, ill be taking one just to have it if you find that they are worth it and work well.

These STILL haven't arrived? I thought they would be here by today for sure. I can't wait to see them!

IgorT

Yeah, well they should be. I have a tracking number, but they are not in the local system yet. :(

But i asked the friend, that did all the research to send me some of his for now. If nothing else, i will have two of each in my hands tomorrow, so i can do the testing over the weekend and tell you all the long awaited results... ;)

I will compare all the different lenses i have on two different meters with three lasers, as well as do all the other necessary tests.

The suspense is killer, can't wait for your results man!

Keep up the good work! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

brtaman

IgorT

Well, the results will be in this weekend.. I would not have had the time to do all the required tests any sooner anyway - it's not just about the power... I never even had a clue how many factors there are, when it comes to lenses!

Well if the lens will make my 119 mW Igort violet laser do 20% better I'll have about 143 mW, if it does a 25% increase, I will see near 150 mW! These are almost sure to be worth all the wait! :cool:

IgorT

After the latest data i got on the meredith (13%), i expected 18-23%.. A quick test was already done on a solar cell, and showed approximatelly 20% increase.. It's not a meter, but this doesn't matter for comparisons, as long as the response is linear....  I will confirm it tomorrow on two meters.

I also heard the lenses are real pretty.. Need to make some pics tomorrow.. ;) The coatings are supposed to look pinkish/orange, depending on the angle and the background. And the ML coating changes colours with the angle.

Otherwise, i am sorry about all the wait. But rushing these things can end badly.. It should either be done right, or not at all. Besides, most of you don't have to do anything but wait.  ;)

Also, since this is just a hobby, i decided to limit the funds to what i got from the lasers.. This means i only get two attempts at this. The second one being the aspherics that are still being prepared, and should be done next week, if the other manufacturer deems us worthy of their time..

So far they hardly bother picking up the phone, never mind answering questions properly.
I think they're trying to make me feel, like they're doing us a favor.. ::)

IgorT

Got the first lenses! :D

They sure are pretty! Need to make some pics. Wonder if i can capture the coatings on a camera..

Anyway, the testing begins tonight after work. Need to test the mounting method first. And i need to set three blu rays to the exact same power.
I will post some results today, but the full report tomorrow.

This will also help me figure out the actual power of the diodes, due to the known transmittance.

IgorT

Ok, so....

I can confirm the 20%..

There is this one diode, that does 167mW after a plastic lens. After the custom lens, it is does 200mW!  ;D

Now i need to repeat this several times while letting it cool down in between, and then test at different power levels, and calculate the average, to get an exact number.

I also have to test with more fresh plastic lenses, to see if there is much difference between them...

But i think i made the glass lens dirty..  :-[ Need to measure with the other one too. And then the multilayers...