Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

405-g2 high output lens in modified aixiz lens nut $45 shipped UPDATED w/ new test #

jakeGT

@RHD, if you have never had a G series lens, go with this one. I have had multiple(4) g-1's and the outputs are usually pretty good, this last g-1 i got was about 50mW less for 405/445 then my last one, and this g-2 outpowered the g-1 by 50mW on 445.

Also, there is still "splash" around the dot, but think of it like this. a aixiz 405/445 glass lens dot looks like this---- O

And a g-1 looks like this (O)) The two () around the O are significant splash, and the extra ) is a large wing on one side of your dot. The g-2 from steviedezie i got was a O with barely any () around it. If you can understand at all what I just said LOL!

D

Delorean Geek

I can't wait...got mine on order but I must see a pic of the dot at about 20' if anyone can upload one.

Thnaks!

ok, i just got a new camera so i will update with pics. Anyone know how to adjust an Olympus Stylus camera for the best picture quality for a laser. All the settings i tried still give me a huge glare.

D

Delorean Geek

I would put a pair of goggles over the camera lens, the turn the laser on, frame the dot and then let the camera adjust the settings and go from there. That should give you a good pic pf the dot. Dont worry about color, all Im curious about is the dot size and shape. Splash may not show up very well unless its bad, but if you stop the lens down as small as it will go and adjust your exposure times you can probably get away without using goggles over the lens.

jayrob

Just so you guys know, the G2 is the exact same lens design as the G1. Absolutely no difference at all...

The only difference, is that the coating is different.

So if the shape of the dot is different, then it is only because the retainer sleeve may be different. A smaller exit aperture...

And that would mean less output power.

This is 100% fact. Just to clarify so that everybody knows what the facts are. And to lessen all of the confusion that can come from misleading information...

Both Dave (daguin) and I tested and compared the G1 And G2 side by side long ago.

Will (lasers4u) used to supply me with the G1 opitc, and then went to the G2 because a different supplier. I wanted to stay consistent with what I had all along. (G1) And now get my lenses from his original supplier. But they are the same optic. Just a slightly different coating...

405-G-2.jpg

They are also the same output in the same mount...

If anything, the G1 is slightly better output. Both Dave and I got the same results.

But like I said. If the dot is different, then it is due to the exit (and/or entry) aperture size. And if the exit aperture is smaller, then the output will be affected. No two ways about it...

Here's my comparison thread from about a year ago:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f49/new-blu-ray-lens-405-g-2-a-50955.html

I've also done testing with a smaller exit aperture...

Last edited:
445-405-g2 high output lens in modified aixiz nut $45 shipped UPDATED w/ new tests

Just to end this I had jakeGT test a newer design then what Dave tested and his numbers are copy and paste from him. Im getting my laserbee today to do some testing as well. If you dont mind, I will buy one of your G1's as well just to give a fair comparison. Its could be a difference in the coating and/or the spacer design, but so far i would not say that g2 is "less" efficient than the G1. I can understand that somehow your tests show the g1 having slightly better output. But with all lenses being different and very slight 1-2% variations can exist, I would say they are practically the same. Now whether or not my spacer design attributes to the dot/splash, doesnt change the fact that the 'complete' lens assembly I provide can be more efficient or result in a better dot. also, you never mentioned 445 output power in your testing. Jakes testing is consistent with yours as in, the 405 output was within 3-4mW, BUT the 445 output was higher with the g2 lens. I dont mean to down on the g1, i try not mention the g1 but it happens here and there. and the fact that i can do all this very quickly and easily, hence the lower costs. You can still provide the g1 and i will provide the g2, our approach to the spacer is different and i think that is the factor between the differences between the g1 and g2. Will has told me that the new coating does have better transmittance of 445. I dont see why theres any confusion to begin with. Theres not. If people are confused then i'll tell them all this because these are the FACTS of what i was told/learned.

Last edited:

jayrob

It is impossible to get a cleaner dot, without loosing output power...

That is what I am clarifying. And also that the optical design of the two lenses are the exact same. No difference...

Dave and I tested them side by side long ago.

Last edited:
the G2 has double coating of "Type A" AR, the g1 has single coating of mgf2. I would say the AR coating (not just the type but where and how many) will affect the splash and different coating type/design CAN result in cleaner/messier output.

jayrob

the G2 has double coating of "Type A" AR, the g1 has single coating of mgf2. I would say the AR coating (not just the type but where and how many) will affect the splash and different coating type/design CAN result in cleaner/messier output.

No...

The coating will not affect the dot shape or beam profile.

Only the design of the lens shape, and the diode used, will do so... (and size of entry and exit aperture)

Last edited:
12x set to 500mA
aixiz 405/445 glass lens- 657mW peak
jayrob 405-g-1- 794mW peak
Steviedezie 405-g-2 mod- 792mW peak!

Guidesman 445, a140 diode, v5 driver set to ~1.4A
Aixiz 405/445 glass lens- 1,412mW peak
Jayrob 405-g-1 - 1,557mW peak
Steviedezie 405-g-2 with mod- 1,597mW peak!

Numbers don't lie, If JakeGT got these numbers I trust him. Why wouldn't the the new spacer mod have an effect on the output? It looks like it does going by these results.

Jayrob, I was just wondering why you don't have any 445 lpm test results on your G-1 thread?

jayrob

... Why wouldn't the the new spacer mod have an effect on the output? It looks like it does going by these results.

Jayrob, I was just wondering why you don't have any 445 lpm test results on your G-1 thread?

The spacer will make a difference...

If the aperture is smaller, it can affect the 'splash'. And the output will be less.

I have done a lot of lens comparisons. I did show a link to some 445 testing here in this thread shown in the optics section:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f49/power-comparisons-different-lenses-red-blu-ray-33965.html

But since I found that the AixiZ 405, and AixiZ 445 lenses were more desireable for using with the multimode 445 diode (which makes a line instead of a dot), I did not go into all the other test comparisons in detail for the 405-G-1. (but obviously I did test 445nm - and that link to those tests, is in my 405-G-1 thread)

I did showed 445 comparisons in a separate thread shown here: (including the stock projector lens)
http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/445nm-lens-comparisons-51456.html

P.S. I'm not calling anybody a liar. I'm just making known some facts that will clear up some miss leading information about the lenses.

If I were to have found the G2 better in some way, I would have switched to supplying that lens long ago. But I did not.

Please don't think that I am trying to hide anything. If that's what you are implying by asking "why you don't have any 445 lpm test results on your G-1 thread?" (which I do have by the way)

I never hide those findings. Like I said, if I found the G2 better, I would have had that one a year ago...

Last edited:
Both the G1/G2 Put out similar Power IMO. Testings done on these lens show that its a Small difference. This could been caused by The Laser was warmer or colder with either lens in witch will show different results. The G1 Lens Might have been an Older lens and had some dust etc on it. The Batteries might not have been fully charges on each test.. etc.

There is many reasons why the powers could be different.

IMO The numbers are too close to call one lens better then the other.

Especially with a 445nm diode witch are know to very 100mW in power due to heat/cold..

Bottom Line:
They are both Great lenses.:)

Just My .02 cents;)

@ jnhowett I dont think Jay was calling him a liar. He was just showing that he has done test as well with these lens witch shows little to no difference.

I didn't want to call anyone out. I was honestly curious to why Jayrob didn't show results for 445. And now I know.:)

And I agree that these lenses are almost one in the same. Although $45 from steviedezie is a great price for the whole setup.

daguin

The lenses are structurally identical. The AR coating will NOT affect the "shape" or "splash." The difference in output in my test was the result of the G-2 having steviedezie's aperture and my G-1 not having any additional aperture.

What y'all are seeing is based in something other than the AR coating. (e.g. observer bias, diode or driver temperature, differences in positioning of the lenses, age, cleanliness, Simple lens-to-lens variation, etc.).

On a bit of a side note -- If one is concerned about a 50mW difference when the laser is putting out 1000mW, that one really should re-think what a laser is being used for.

Peace,
dave

jakeGT

When I did the tests both lasers had fresh charged batts, I got my g-1 from jayrob less than 3 weeks ago, done 3-5 LPM tests with it, and hardly used in 3 weeks. g-2 was from stevie brand new, I ran both lasers a few minutes, then let em rest a few, then did the lens tests one right after another, so, whatever it was, I don't know. But I did do all lens tests the same way, with both lasers, and all three lenses.

So, no idea, but I did read HIMNL9's how to LPm correctly thread, and always try to utilize those methods now