Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

20x DVD burners - soon to be CHEAP!

Wow, i wonder if they have the right size diode and if they are easy to harvest?

Or is it one of those impossible ones where its encased in like a solid welded shut bulletproof peice of metel... i hate those :mad:

..lazer... ;D ;D ;D

Maxx

ya, the one closest to me closed a while ago, but are you sure that all of them are going out of buisness, or just the one by you.

Maxx said:
ya, the one closest to me closed a while ago, but are you sure that all of them are going out of buisness, or just the one by you.

The whole chain. Heard it on CNN, must be true! ::) seriously, they're tanking. Best Buy killed them with volume and pricing- BB does about 40x as much volume, so they could buy bulk quantity for prices CompUSA couldn't even touch. CUSA is toast. The vultures among us may profit by this (and alas, I shall be in their number! :) )

Dave

Maxx

thats pretty cool (in a way, i bought my comp from them with a warranty, don't know whats going to happen with the warranty, still got a year) do you know what type of diodes are in the drives (open can or not)

oh yea near my dads house in milford aswell compusa's are going out of business every where

Gazoo

I believe so but it is a real pain getting the diode out of the heatsink.

Ref

Yeah, I used to work for the CompUSA in Raleigh, NC. They were one of the first ones shut down back when they decided to close half of their stores. I only learned from the manager that took over after I left (used to be a high school buddy of mine) that all the stores were closing a few weeks ago. If only I still had that store discount and could get those burners at cost. I wasn't into the hobby back then, sadly.

tehk

Got my 20x Lite-On from Newegg a bit ago, it IS open can, but I haven't taken the heat sink off yet. Here are some pics.

I had more but this is the best one i could get of the inside, the others were too blurry. :d

Attachments

• 20x_Red_Diode_and_cyrstal.JPG
    20x_Red_Diode_and_cyrstal.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 57

chido

I suggest you make a new thread, as this thread doesn't have to do with what you're asking. Otherwise, no one is going to reply. ;)

Gazoo

tehk said:
Got my 20x Lite-On from Newegg a bit ago, it IS open can, but I haven't taken the heat sink off yet. Here are some pics.

I had more but this is the best one i could get of the inside, the others were too blurry. :d

Thanks for posting the picture..please post a picture of the diode after you have extracted it so we can see if the die is long or short.