Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1W 521nm Pen

On todays episode of things that shouldn't be done but it looks pretty cool anyway, I've made a 1W green pen laser.

Overview1.jpg

The diode is a Sharp GH05C01B9G, I have several of these but this one doesn't wavelength shift as much as the others I have. Where others push up to 525-527nm @ 1W, this one sits quietly happily at 521nm @ 1W. Its noticeably more blue/turquoise than 525nm and a much more pleasing color than 532nm.
Bare-Module.jpg

The original red LED on the switch board was swapped for a green one

Key-switch.jpg

The key on the tail cap arms the laser, anytime it's keyed on the green led is lit

Power.jpg

Beam1.jpg

Beam2.jpg

Beam3.jpg

Beam4.jpg

Beam5.jpg

Overview2.jpg

Is it impractical with a hopelessly low duty cycle? Yes, but I love it

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
That is a really cool build, I love those CNI black and gold pen hosts with the keylock! :cool:

The black and gold host has always been my favorite. I didn't even know there was a keyed version of them until I came across this one a couple months ago.

Nice. What was originally in that CNI pen? I always liked those. It's even rarer to see the keylock tailcap switch.
What lens are you using with this one?

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I remember seeing those keyed pen hosts a long time ago, they were quite rare and only used with particularly dangerous lasers. Like high power invisible IR wavelengths. I remember maybe 15 years ago someone did a CNI group buy for them, think it was 500mW 808nm. This was before the 1W 445s had surfaced and was the most powerful available in a pen at the time. It might have also been possible to order the key separately from CNI back when they made pens. Wish I had got one then, didn't have the funds the first time and then the member who ran the GB got eaten by a bear or something before he was able to do round two.

It’s has a G8 now

It was originally 5mw of 1064nm, without the led you wouldn't even know it was on

Last edited:
amazing job, i love this pen builds, aslo i am jealous of this host..

can you also share some info about driver you used with this build?
thank you.

Orca26

On todays episode of things that shouldn't be done but it looks pretty cool anyway, I've made a 1W green pen laser.

Overview1.jpg

The diode is a Sharp GH05C01B9G, I have several of these but this one doesn't wavelength shift as much as the others I have. Where others push up to 525-527nm @ 1W, this one sits quietly happily at 521nm @ 1W. Its noticeably more blue/turquoise than 525nm and a much more pleasing color than 532nm.
Bare-Module.jpg

The original red LED on the switch board was swapped for a green one

Key-switch.jpg

The key on the tail cap arms the laser, anytime it's keyed on the green led is lit

Power.jpg

Beam1.jpg

Beam2.jpg

Beam3.jpg

Beam4.jpg

Beam5.jpg

Overview2.jpg

Is it impractical with a hopelessly low duty cycle? Yes, but I love it
What power supply/batteries do you use and which driver?