Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1.5 watt capable MM 405-410 nm laser diodes from Starlight Photonics

StarlightPhotonics.com 405 nm laser engine with 20 laser diode assemblies inside. I've been a customer of Kevin for many years now, he always stands behind what he sells, thought I'd share a goodie I recently received in the mail from them.

This video shows a 405 nm laser engine with 20 laser diode assemblies inside I bought from StarlightPhotonics.com . I've been a customer of Kevin for many years now, he always stands behind what he sells.

In the video I referred to the 20 beams being combined together, should have said "closely" combined together, the output is more like what happens with knife edged beams, all placed closely together but not coaxial, or one on top of the other which can be done with two beams using a wave plate with a PBS cube. I just noticed my hands were still dirty from just coming home from work! Was rolling up CAT V cable today which had been laying in a dirty warehouse for awhile.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Nice little video, Chris, thanks for sharing!

Question, the ebay link says that this unit produces 20 beams close to each other, but not a single beam, are you maybe going to try and converge these to make a single beam monster out of this package?

Glad you liked it, I have been considering just using this as is, at least, initially. I have no way of coaxially converging more than two laser sources of the same wavelength with any method I can build, the best I could do is use this as is, and output a single bundle of beams spaced so closely together the spot will look as if it was one beam, but through the air, I'm guessing I could see strings of light beams within the bundle.

Edit: I referred to the beams all being combined together in the video, I shouldn't have said it that way, should have said closely combined together, or not used the word combined at all.

Last edited:
Nice vid Chris. When we first listed those, we accidentally implied that the lasers were combined into a single beam (how awesome would that be?). But yeah, they end up in a linear array a few mm wide.

We still have quite a few available. If you contact us through our web site and say you're a LPF member, we'll give you a 20% discount.

Kevin

Glad you liked it. Guys, I emailed him this evening (my evening in Qatar) with a link to this thread asking if he was OK with what I put up, Kevin didn't know I was making this video.

Edit: Kevin emailed me in response to what my impressions were regarding the way the engine works, and what some things are:

- We corrected the listing a while back to say that the array is brought
down to a line of small beams rather than combined into a single beam

- The array of little optics really are lenses. I think the lens that
the line of beams goes into re-collimates the beams.

- The thing you thought might be a sensor is actually an infrared laser
diode that gets combined with the UV array. They used it for alignment
further down the line. We should probably figure out a way to get you a
complete display assembly.

Last edited: