Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Zone Alarm Anti-V

NEVER use Zone Alarm Antivirus program ---ever.
They are AH's and the program takes over your computer like a virus.
Then they access your bank account for un announced renewal.

HMike

What's good to replace? I'm trying AVG

Last edited:

I use avast, but others are going to flame me.... I suggest version 4.8, because I dont like the newer versions. It's free and you get virus updates some times up to 3 times a day automatically. The only downside to using a older version is that every so often it wall ask you if you want to upgrade, but you can turn that notification off.

Hope that helps -Adrian

Adrian --

It seems that many of these "free" programs really aren't. AVG seems to have some shadows too.

HMike

You could try BitDefender or Trend Micro. I am currently runinng Trend Micro, but I have used BitDefender in the past. You have to pick Your poison with Anti-Virus software as trade offs have to be made with performance and protection. My Advice is to read reviews, and then make Your decision.

CL -- Thanks -----

I want dirt simple protection !! No hidden crap like Zone Alarm.
There's so many things out there and some act like a virus.
Zone Alarm is a thief and takes over a computer -- try to call them.....

HMike

I personally use Avira.

The personal version is free for home use, and constatnly beats out paid-for AVs when it comes to detection rates, along with the best detection rates out of all the free AVs out there.

Only thing is, every day there's a popup ad. Just once, in a box that you can close. That might put you off, but at least they ain't trying to hijack your computer.

The best IMO is Nod32, havent had any drama's with it. Been running it for years, and have not had a single virus, or adware, as it updates sometimes more then 10 times a day, and the background monitor is great.

The trial version is free, and with a simple registry edit, it wont expire . :eg:

Try it out.

Cheers
Dave