Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Z-bolt product review

I was browsing the selection of lasers on Z-bolt.com and when I came across the BTG2s Plus... I had to get it.

http://z-bolt.com/BTG2Splus-green-laser-pointer.html

Price is a little steep for a 5mW laser ($69 - $7 with 10% coupon code). However, this is backed by a 1 year warranty, comes with a FREE BTE3 red laser pointer and ships from the US. Price is justified.
I ordered Friday. It was in the mailbox on Monday. Perfect.
It came in a nice foam lined gift box.

Appearance and Construction:
Z-bolt offers this laser in 3 different styles, Navy blue with silver accents, Matte black, and silver.
I chose the Matte black. It looks the best.
The housing is all brass. Paint is a little weak- it will wear off after time.
The weight is good and balanced. Clicky switch is forward clicky- it makes good contact.
It is a little longer than a CNI pen (dimensions listed on site) but diameter is the same.
I wish I could get it apart so I can check out the guts.
Uses a glass lens. Would make a good host for a higher power laser of any type.
The aperture is larger than most of the good quality lasers (this is among them, of course).
I love the constant on clicky.

DSC08793.jpg

DSC08770.jpg

DSC08777.jpg

DSC08784.jpg

DSC08757.jpg

Beam Characteristics:
Output looks right for 5mW (Power meter on the way).
Does not flicker, dim, or switch modes. Performs equally on rechargeable NiMH and Alkaline batteries. Makes a good star pointer or addition to your collection.
This thing is begging for a current increase, though. I know this thing is capable of more power.
Maybe I'll modify it when the warranty is up. Since this thing is 5mW there is no need for a duty cycle. Does not warm up after prolonged use. Beam diameter is about 2mm at aperture and the beam waist is at about 4 feet. Divergence is good (about 1.1mRad) but could be better.
The only thing that bothers me is that the beam is not aligned with the body of the laser. It exits the aperture at about 8 degrees. This could make it difficult to use with a rifle or mounted on a telescope.

Compared to 2 >100mW lasers
DSC08760.jpg

DSC08790.jpg

DSC08763.jpg

DSC08806.jpg

IR filtered?
I haven't checked, mostly because I don't care. Most likely, it is. Even if it isn't, 5mW of IR is not going to kill anyone.

Bottom line:

Does it perform as advertised?
Yes
Does it meet expectations? Yes
Is it impressive? Yes
Do I like it? Yes
Would I recommend it? Yes
Does it exceed expectations? No

Buy one.

And the free red laser:

It's a very nice 5mW red.
It is matte black and gold. Small (dimensions listed on site), bright enough, and it looks nice. It should last a long time.

DSC08812.jpg

DSC08813.jpg

BKarim

thank you for the review!

does anyone other had tested this model ?