Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

You think lasers are a for fun?

^^ Actually the splinter felt just like a piece of sand until I blinked then I hurt like hell!
The splinter went thru my Iris and in to the pupil, I have permanent eye damage and had my eye covered for 2 weeks. I had pictures of it but they disappeared in my 2nd divorce.

OOOOOOH! That just give me the shivers!
I don't know if you caught my post before or after I just edited it, but I meant it in the best of ways. I think I edited it while you were typing up the response. I'm pretty sure you didn't take it the wrong way, but just making sure. :beer:

It's all good.:beer: You didn't say anything that bothered me.
I did talk to my eye doctor when I had some bad flash burns from welding and he advised taking some vitamins that are specifically for your eyes, he said that sometimes they will help with your eyes healing. I can't remember what they are but I will try to find out. They are supposed to even help with macular degeneration, my mom is supposed to be taking them since she has that problem.

I don't know if they would help with your vision problems, but they couldn't hurt.

My dad always told me if you masturbate too much you will go blind! I am at the point I need glasses! :eg:

Oh, shit. And here I thought it was the lasers.... Yikes...:whistle::thinking:
Note to self, hands off of penis, don't even touch it to take a leak.
But seriously, I am quite interested in what those vitamins may be.

Edit: Google Adwords seem to be pretty accurate, the ad at the top of the page for me is one for personalized eye care, specifically LASIK.:crackup:

Last edited:
This thread is very interesting, since it is from a first hand point of view. It has taught me to be more careful with my phr upclose. I decided not to burn with it anymore since ive been lazy about my goggles. :eek: I will, however, order an eagle pair or similar when my 445 parts arrive. The current i will drive it to makes it much more serious.:tsk:

Also, I think the mantra floating around the forums of "goggles or die" stems because:
While no one wants to risk their vision to literally "see" lol if a single direct hit can pwn your eye, even if it doesn't, they do not want to seem encouraging of others to attempt it. In other words, people do not want to tell you its alright to turn on your 400mw green indoors as long as you know what you are doing.

Why? well because they don't want to carry the grudge if something bad happens, and because its somehow illogical to do it. Certain people treat lasers as firearms and naturally, one does not generally fire a pistol indoors. However, a laser doesn't shoot supersonic projectiles, just pretty photons. Even if it can be perfectly fine to turn on, they prefer the hand-slap no because they were taught that way.

Concerning vision, I have had astigmatism since i was a kid, but not enough to need prescription glassess(<0.5 dioptre). However, the optometrist told me, and i remember his words throughout the years, that i would start needing glassess as my age advanced. I am almost 22 and I think that time has come because i get this odd haze/blur from objects far away, especially tiny letters get blurred out.:undecided:

Also lol at last post.

The thing with everyone saying that a single glance from a laser of several hundred milliwatts can blind you instantly is that when someone does catch a beam directly, and they aren't blinded, they are probably left wondering just how over-hyped goggles are. As a comparison, it used to be taught that using marijuana would cause people to become violent aka "refer madness". It doesn't take long to realize that much of what the anti-drug campaigns have taught is complete BS. People then couldn't help but doubt everything taught about drugs, even the stuff that's true. You can probably see where I'm going with this.
I am not trying to make any kind of stance on drugs one way or the other, just using the analogy.
My position on laser safety is the same in that you really should use goggles, but not because of instant blindness, but for the more subtle and not as instantly apparent reasons that I have already stated in this thread.
Arrrgh... too much going on here right now to finish this newest rant. I'll have to finish it later, but I just wanted to get this down before I forgot it.

interesting insight fixitiwill,

I think it is just too easy to underestimate the dangers of lasers, you shine it at wall and you are only seeing a fraction of the true brightness if it was to ever hit you in eye directly

it is like shining a torch at wall then in your face, it is a completely different level of brightness

i believe anyone can use high powered lasers safely if they read up about it first

Yes, I agree magmabeam.
Here is a question with no easy answer... How long must one stare at the dot for it to equal a direct hit to the eye as far as the amount of damage done? I realize that there are a LOT of factors that would have to be known in order to make a decent approximation, so this is just one of those questions to ponder... :thinking:

I just heard some kid ordered blue and green laser pointer.
If he didn't order the glasses for those laser he is toast.
Well his friend told me that so i told his friend to tell him not to use the laser without special glasses/goggles.
Shit just got real.

depends on what you do with it and how. its not like ur eyes are gone in 1 time. it gos slowly thats the danger.

Oh, shit. And here I thought it was the lasers.... Yikes...:whistle::thinking:
Note to self, hands off of penis, don't even touch it to take a leak.
But seriously, I am quite interested in what those vitamins may be.

Edit: Google Adwords seem to be pretty accurate, the ad at the top of the page for me is one for personalized eye care, specifically LASIK.:crackup:

I suspect it was something like this http://http://www.bausch.com/en/Our-Products/Eye-Vitamins/Vitamins-for-Eyes/Ocuvite-Lutein
They are often prescribed to slow the progression of agre-related macular degeneration (wet especially), cataracts and degenerative retinal diseases.

I tend to err on the side of caution when the costs are high and provide little feedback. I work with nasty chemicals all day and feel safe around them becuase I've taken the necessary precautions. Most of the chemicals i deal with are corrosive (strong acids and bases, acetonitrile, metal organic compounds...) and as nasty as those are, they dont scare me because there's plenty of feedback if you do something stupid. Forget to turn the fume hood on? youll cough. 18M H2SO4 on your finger? it hurts. But look too long at a powerfull laser or catch a few reflections and you might think nothing of it. So I treat lasers like toxins: minimize exposure whenever there is a chance of harm.

On a side note, if i remember my A and P class correctly. The headache after over exposure is caused by inflamation in the retina, which was caused by the destruction of many pigment disks at once, the fragments of which elicit inflamation. That inflamation creates pressure and thus pain. The vitamins can help becuase they contain the building blocks (beta-carotene, flavinoids) for the photopigments and thus help regenerate the disks.

On a side note, if i remember my A and P class correctly. The headache after over exposure is caused by inflamation in the retina, which was caused by the destruction of many pigment disks at once, the fragments of which elicit inflamation. That inflamation creates pressure and thus pain. The vitamins can help becuase they contain the building blocks (beta-carotene, flavinoids) for the photopigments and thus help regenerate the disks.

That's interesting to know. I didn't know the exact mechanism of action, but I guess one learns something new everyday.

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
i'm pretty paranoid about protecting my vision... i've always sticked with the cool colored lasers in low power (594,589., 473, lowpwr 532). i care more about the color than the power lol

Hey guys I've read all through this thread and I too am quite paranoid about eye damage. I will heed others warnings and use goggles for my blue laser. I got my laser a few months ago and have not used it much at all. Less than 10 times, and for very short durations when I did. I would cover my eyes with my hands in the places I felt were getting too strong an intake of blue light (usually the source of the laser) and I would leave the places I wanted to see open (usually looking somewhere along the beam). I know using my hands to cover my eyes is very ineffective and pretty much useless. That's why I'm anxious to get goggles so I can use my lasers without worrying much. On a couple occasions I did somewhat catch reflections or accidentally looked too much at the dot and had a brief spot on my vision (for about 1-2 minutes). These couple of occasions have led to serious paranoia regarding blue light intake. I very much enjoy filming my laser so not being able to see the beam as much with goggles on won't ruin my fun. But I've ran into some difficulty deciding which goggles to get for my 445 1.2w blue laser.

-Should I go with these red lens ones? http://www.o-like.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=28
-Should I get these nicer white ones? http://www.o-like.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=30
-Or would it be best to go with the basic cheap yellow ones?

Money is not the biggest factor in this decision. Mainly usability and effectiveness of protection. The reds ones seem like a good choice but how do they compare viewing wise to the yellow, with a blue laser? Is there a big difference? What about the nice looking white ones? I see those take the IR wavelength as well; would that be less effective at filtering the blue?
I know I probably should of made my own thread for this. I'm not trying to hijack a thread so I will if need be but I figured this threat has a lot of good eye protection information in it why not add to it. But yeah please let me know which goggles you think I should get so I can use my laser! Thanks for any info y'all give!

TuhOz

Imo you should get goggles from Dragonlasers or Survivallasers. They are both great, and work with high powered 445nms.
About those two goggles, I'd take the white one.

Also, diode lasers (445nm) dont produce IR light, so you wont need IR -protecting goggles