Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

yet another diy hdd scanner

kendon

... but i decided it is now grown enough to get its own thread :)

i already posted some pics in wummi's thread, yesterday i took the parts to my parents' house (more tools and some space to work with them  ;) ) and started to make it an actual build, not just two hdd cases glued together (to be honest now it is two CUT hdd cases glued together, so far all i used was 1/2 stick of hotglue  ::) ). that's how it looks now:

proj1pw7.jpg

in the dark:

proj2oc2.jpg

and with some smoke  ::) :

proj3ax7.jpg

now i have to get it back to my parents' to drill an exit hole for the beam in the front and three holes on top, for the pots of the amplifier. by now everthing seems to fit pretty nice into the case (some kind of psu i think, found it in the trash), it has two leds and two switches on the back, just perfect for switching laser & amp  ;D

i think this won't be any good for actually projecting something, but it makes an awesome music effect, and thats what i'm going to use it for. at the moment the ld is a loc@120ma, i think i will leave it like that, its nice and bright without getting warm.

DTMF

nice to see it coming along . do you have a heatsink on the laser module? look's exposed . can't wait to see some vid's :D

kendon

DTMF said:
nice to see it coming along . do you have a heatsink on the laser module? look's exposed . can't wait to see some vid's  :D

the heatsink is actually hotglued to a chipset heatsink harvested from some processorboard. the reason i used it was because it gives a good mount for the module when you bend the rips a little, i don't expect it to take much heat from the module. also i'm not sure about the heat-transportating properties of hotglue... ::)

but neither do i expect the module to need heatsinking, since it's running at ~120ma. when i was at my parents i found some nice aluminium blocks, my brother was going to drill a hole in it, guess what size of drill we couldn't find... :mad: we will get this done someday...

i think i will attach a heatsink to the lm317, it is getting quite warm. i have one lying around that will fit nicely, so that's not a big deal.

i will post videos, but i need to get that hole in the front before ::) but you will have to have patience, i'm leaving on friday for a skitrip, so it might take some two weeks before any work will be done.

diachi

kendon said:
[quote author=DTMF link=1233605632/0#1 date=1233632831]nice to see it coming along . do you have a heatsink on the laser module? look's exposed . can't wait to see some vid's  :D

the heatsink is actually hotglued to a chipset heatsink harvested from some processorboard. the reason i used it was because it gives a good mount for the module when you bend the rips a little, i don't expect it to take much heat from the module. also i'm not sure about the heat-transportating properties of hotglue...  ::)

but neither do i expect the module to need heatsinking, since it's running at ~120ma. when i was at my parents i found some nice aluminium blocks, my brother was going to drill a hole in it, guess what size of drill we couldn't find...  :mad: we will get this done someday...

i think i will attach a heatsink to the lm317, it is getting quite warm. i have one lying around that will fit nicely, so that's not a big deal.

i will post videos, but i need to get that hole in the front before  ::) but you will have to have patience, i'm leaving on friday for a skitrip, so it might take some two weeks before any work will be done.[/quote]

just a hint : If you want to press-fit your module into the aluminium block you need a 15/32" drill, if you use a 12mm drill you will need to have a screw holding in the module ( which means more work tapping and cleaning more holes. )

Very nice build though, can't wait to see some more pictures ! :)

-Adam

kendon

Diachi said:
just a hint : If you want to press-fit your module into the aluminium block you need a 15/32" drill, if you use a 12mm drill you will need to have a screw holding in the module ( which means more work tapping and cleaning more holes. )
-Adam

thanks for the heads up, now all i need to do is figure out wtb a 15/32" drill in g'old germany... :eek:

na, i'll just try it with 12mm, see how it turns out. :)

kendon

Re: yet another diy hdd scanner - nearly there!

so i took it back home and drilled some holes...  ;)

now all thats left is to widen the front hole, it works but the projection has to be pretty small, since the largest drill we could find was 13.5mm... but it is midnight here now, and i don't want to entertain the neighbors with the dremel now  ::)

and i have to hook up the diodes to the amp and the laser, and put the switch before the ddl, and if the case is not to bend i will engrave it on the top, with labels for the dials and some laser warning logo. still working on the design...

some pics:

final1jm8.jpg

final2zr4.jpg

final3ku5.jpg

kendon

Diachi said:
[quote author=Doc link=1233605632/0#5 date=1233859073]Use an 11.9mm drill.
15/32" is around 11.9mm

You can buy them online , you could even try the BST section here.

-Adam[/quote]

well for sure there is a way to get one of these, i'm just not sure whether it is worth the effort. i could also try to cut a thread into the aluminium, that would be nicer and should be better in points of heatconducting. i think about this with my brother, he is the (going-to-be) engineer... ;)

now i hope i can get some kind of drill to widen the hole in the frontplate, so i can finish this project.

kendon

so i got some kind of a mill head, but the damn case is harder than it looks. i got the hole to ~17mm now, which is still to small. i think i have to think about cutting it square with an angle grinder, and then make some kind of round aperture with the right diameter out black thick paper or something...

I have tried 15/32s and it is too small for an aixiz module. 12mm is perfect but you need to smooth the hole out with some wet/dry sandpaper.

DTMF

kendon said:
so i got some kind of a mill head, but the damn case is harder than it looks. i got the hole to ~17mm now, which is still to small. i think i have to think about cutting it square with an angle grinder, and then make some kind of round aperture with the right diameter out black thick paper or something...

just cut it out with a dremel thats what i use . for a round hole you could have used a bi metal hole saw but now your hole is to big for the pilot bit . i like the look of a squre cut out :D

DTMF

691175002 said:
I have tried 15/32s and it is too small for an aixiz module.  12mm is perfect but you need to smooth the hole out with some wet/dry sandpaper.

the aixiz module's "very" in size i have some the like 15/32 and some that like 12mm ::) . from now on i just do 12mm and use a set screw . just make shure you use a drill press . if you try a hand drill and a vise good luck .

geting that module in a heatsink will realy make this build look pro [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

kendon

DTMF said:
geting that module in a heatsink will realy make this build look pro  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

lol not sure about this, but it is not off the table :)

i figured i will just do the brute-force-way and somehow tear that thing a bigger fronthole, probably with a dremel.

in the meantime i came up to some other complications: i need better springs to keep the mirrors at a "zero-position". the ballpen springs (lol) i used are too soft, they change the zero position of the dot everytime the mirrors are moved a little bit more, by a bassdrum or something... i am looking for some flat ones like wummi suggested in his thread, but by now i have no idea where to find something adequate.

oh, and if someone could tip me off with the easiest way to add a control led to the ddl driver, i'm listening... ::)