Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Yellow Glow from PHR-803T Diode

Hey guys,
I noticed tonight that my 803t was emitting some yellow light to either side of the violet dot. I have been running the diode for the past week, and this is the first I have noticed of it. I saw that this was a common phenomenon among some of the xbox diodes, but I couldn't really find any good info regarding it. I wondered if this is the result of the green light discussed here: http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1220631465

I have driven the diode in a range of 60ma to 120ma, but it generally stays at about 80ma. The glow seems proportional to driving power. However, it is far less noticeable when the power increases because the violet simply overwhelms it.

Can anyone comment as to whether this is usually a sign of diode breakdown, or is it just a benign occurrence?

Thanks!

Here is a photo with the focused dot blocked.
yellow.jpg

I sure don't know for a fact, but it looks like in the diode can something fluoresces yellow, it c/b that the glow is more or less saturated with <20 mW so it doesn't increase after the first ~ 20 mW of 405 nm.