Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

yellow diodes

i really want a yellow laser but I am reluctant to pay the massive prices for ready made ones. I had the same problen with blue lasers but diodes are quite easy to get so i built my own.dous anyone know where to bur yellow laser diodes?

Yellow diodes are not readily available. Sorry.

By the way, you mean blu-ray/violet (405nm), not blue, right?

-Mark

Ace82

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?virboard=b_welcome;num=1206843997

A diode is a semiconductor.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode

A LED is a light emitting diode.

A LD is a laser diode.

The average person can easily get all different types of inferred, red, and violet ("blu-ray") LD's

Because of the vast amount of research and development required and lack of demand for other laser diodes, it's safe to say they just don't exist, although there are green and blue laser diodes I have yet to hear anybody spending thousands of dollars on one.  

diachi

Ace82 said:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?virboard=b_welcome;num=1206843997

A diode is a semiconductor. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode

A LED is a light emitting diode.

A LD is a laser diode.

The average person can easily get all different types of inferred, red, and violet ("blu-ray") LD's

Because of the vast amount of research and development required and lack of demand for other laser diodes, it's safe to say they just don't exist, although there are green and blue laser diodes I have yet to hear anybody spending thousands of dollars on one.

No green diodes have been made yet, other colours such ash blue do exist though they cost thousands of dollars for one. Not sure about yellow diodes.

-Adam

Green laser diodes have been made in the 90's I believe by Sony, but at very low power and short life. Never even herd of yellow.

For those who can't read IEEE articles, they made a 515nm laser that could read from 7.7 GB optical disks.  The initial diode was made in 1991, and Sony demonstrated the technology in 1996.

However, by that time Sony (and everyone else) had settled on the DVD standard, so there wasn't much point in mass manufacturing the expensive LD for only a minor improvement in capacity.

phoenix3200 said:
For those who can't read IEEE articles, they made a 515nm laser that could read from 7.7 GB optical disks.  The initial diode was made in 1991, and Sony demonstrated the technology in 1996.

However, by that time Sony (and everyone else) had settled on the DVD standard, so there wasn't much point in mass manufacturing the expensive LD for only a minor improvement in capacity.

At that point, violet already existed, so the green would've been a step DOWN in capacity from the violet that ended up winning. Plus, I don't think anyone ever demonstrated a viable laser diode from those II-VI systems at all.

It MAY be possible to push the same materials system that makes the red 650 and 635 diodes down to the 590 range, but maybe not. Notice how the available power is much lower at 635 than it is at 650-600? That's because you're pushing the materials farther from their "comfort zone" and hitting ceilings in what the material is actually capable of doing. 590 MAY be possible, but there's no money to be made in doing such research to get there.

Same is true with the gallium nitride materials in the blue regime. Violet is more in the "comfort zone" for the InGaN/GaN system, so the highest power are available there. There's a conscious push toward the blue and green spectra going on now: blue works and the powers are being improved. Green hasn't *publicly* been reached, but you'd think whichever group/company gets there first will announce it pretty quickly after succeeding. But as you move away from the "comfort zone", things get a lot tougher, and the InGaN/GaN system is a LOT more complicated in many ways. The processes used for the violet and blue laser diodes likely won't ever make a successful green laser diode, but there are some game-changing technologies coming around now, non-polar GaN and native substrates being 2 of the real biggies. The switch from polar to non-polar or semi-polar GaN will be a big change behind the scenes; you may never notice it as a consumer, but it could very easily change everything that goes into making the laser diodes and what laser diodes and LEDs are both capable of doing.

Justin

jamilm9 said:

DO NOT post this link. These URLs are distributed to specific customers for specific reasons, to enable easy online payment using credit cards. These URLs exist to make things easier for our customers but if you are going to EXPLOIT it we will have to stop using them altogether. I personally check every order that comes through our website and we will not be shipping anything that is purchased at a false price. Processing and refunding a credit card transaction costs us money and if this becomes a problem we will begin withholding the transaction fees from anyone who places an order using this dishonest exploitation of our online billing system.

^Yep, they're one of several working on exactly that. Should be interesting to see who gets there and how long it is until it's reached.

steve001 said:
Rohm is developing a direct injection green diode.

Green laser diodes are facing the same problems that green LEDs faced. It is amazingly difficult to produce thin film chips for the laser diodes. There is physics behind it which I can explain if anyone cares, but for now, it is 1AM in the morning and I need to sleep...