Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

YAG KTP crystal heater

Morgan

Hi all,

What is this and is it any use at all to the hobbyist?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e1105...em=270378295155&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

I query because I have ordered a diode grab bag from Heruurscience and thought this bit of kit may be good for a build at some point. I am sceptical though as the ad only mentions KTP crystal so am thinking this may be part of an industrial unit.

There's also an ad for diodes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280338083139&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

Although the ad doesn't show a wavelength I have got a couple of other photos of the box and all it says is that they a CW at 500mW. Does the SDL in the title give a clue? Is it safe to assume these are 808s? For £69 for 40no, that doesn't seem bad, does it?

Obviously, I'm interested in these, if they're viable, so please don't jump in now your attentions drawn but some advice would be appreciated. (Come to think about it, if they were 808s, I don't think even I could blow 40 before getting something working so if anyone is interested in coming in on it... ?)

Thanks y'all,

M :)

Regarding the heater: It is very much of use to any hobbyist that might want to squeeze maximum efficiency from their nonlinear crystals. Some NL crystals (KTP in particular) are more efficient when heated, which goes against the dynamics of the other parts of the laser which require cooling (TECs, heatsinks, etc.). In order to heat the KTP while the rest of the laser gets cooled, a heater is needed. That's what the auction is for.

Usually heaters are used in a laboratory environment but if you were to build a very high powered green system, a heater would be very useful to you.

Heaters can be used with any crystal that requires heat to improve efficiency.

diachi

Morgan said:
Hi all,

What is this and is it any use at all to the hobbyist?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e1105...em=270378295155&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

I query because I have ordered a diode grab bag from Heruurscience and thought this bit of kit may be good for a build at some point. I am sceptical though as the ad only mentions KTP crystal so am thinking this may be part of an industrial unit.

There's also an ad for diodes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280338083139&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

Although the ad doesn't show a wavelength I have got a couple of other photos of the box and all it says is that they a CW at 500mW. Does the SDL in the title give a clue? Is it safe to assume these are 808s? For £69 for 40no, that doesn't seem bad, does it?

Obviously, I'm interested in these, if they're viable, so please don't jump in now your attentions drawn but some advice would be appreciated. (Come to think about it, if they were 808s, I don't think even I could blow 40 before getting something working so if anyone is interested in coming in on it... ?)

Thanks y'all,

Yes, this is only the KTP crystal which means you would need to supply and mount your own Vanadate crystal, as well as align both crystals. You also don't really need the heater assembly as it's usually used on larger YAG lasers to get the KTP to the optimum temperature. But it would act as a good mount nonetheless and could aid the final green laser output.

I don't think those SDL diodes will work for you. But theres really only one way to find out, and thats to test them. They could be 5mW at 635nm or they could be 500mW at 808nm, but you can't really tell unless you test them .

-Adam

EDIT: Warning label says " Invisible Laser radiation emitted " so it's not 635, but it could still be anywhere from around 700nm->960nm, and you won't get much unless you use 808nm +/- 2nm

Morgan

...Ask and you shall receive.

Many thanks ElektroFreak. Less than 5 mins after posting and there you are with some valuable info. (And not the first time either!! ;)) Brilliant.

I think it may be worth a punt then. Not too pricey and a touch of the exotic.

Any ideas on the diodes? (Edit: better pic showing box has been added)

Thanks,

P.S. After discussing greenies in a previous thread, I am now the proud owner of an O-Like module and my eyes have now tasted 532nm green! The research continues...

Attachments

• DPP_0347.JPG
    DPP_0347.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 277

diachi

Morgan said:
...Ask and you shall receive.

Many thanks ElektroFreak. Less than 5 mins after posting and there you are with some valuable info. (And not the first time either!! ;)) Brilliant.

I think it may be worth a punt then. Not too pricey and a touch of the exotic.

Any ideas on the diodes?

Thanks,

P.S. After discussing greenies in a previous thread, I am now the proud owner of an O-Like module and my eyes have now tasted 532nm green! The research continues...

Look at the post I just made ::) I commented on both the KTP and diodes.

diachi

Judging by the semi-conductor ( GaAlAs ) It's in the red - IR region.

Morgan

^ Yeah, sorry Diachi, we were posting at the same time so it looks like I ignored you but that wasn't the case. More good info though, thanks.

I did ask the seller if it was just the KTP or a bonded type but he said he didn't know. So I'd have to look for some compatible Vanadate crystals too? Could be a long project!

... But one worthwhile none-the-less.

The heater is a great deal considering it comes with a fairly beefy KTP crystal. The crystal alone is worth more than the buy it now price by itself..

You could just buy the diodes and see what you get. You could get lucky..

diachi

ElektroFreak said:
The heater is a great deal considering it comes with a fairly beefy KTP crystal. The crystal alone is worth more than the buy it now price by itself..

You could just buy the diodes and see what you get. You could get lucky..

And if they aren't useful, you can try some from heruursciences grab bag, or even ask him if he still has that 8W 808nm FAP diode that I was going to buy. I think it has a few dead emitters though, since the running current is 25A and it should do 15W minimum at that current.

-Adam

Morgan

I've dropped the guy a line to see if he'll do a deal on both items. I seem to be building up more and more kit. Now I need the expertise to do it all justice. :-/ Still, got some approved goggles coming to deal with all the IR and stuff, and will do some more in-depth reading when all the bits come.

Diachi,

Don't think I'm up to large multi-watt monsters yet! I'm still taking small steps. Good to have goals though eh?!

diachi

Morgan said:
I've dropped the guy a line to see if he'll do a deal on both items. I seem to be building up more and more kit. Now I need the expertise to do it all justice.  :-/ Still, got some approved goggles coming to deal with all the IR and stuff, and will do some more in-depth reading when all the bits come.

Diachi,

Don't think I'm up to large multi-watt monsters yet! I'm still taking small steps. Good to have goals though eh?!

Trust me, you'll love it when you are up to them ;) that crystal is easily good for a few watts of green output. I'd reckon at least 20W.

-Adam

Morgan

20W :eek: Don't tell me that!!!

Firstly, 'cause I haven't secured a deal yet and secondly, 'cause I don't need to be getting ideas above my station! ;)

(I want it, I want it, I want it....... :D)

The bug has very definitely bitten then Morgan ;)
At least with 40 LD's to play with you should be able to find the sweet spot.

It is hard to get an idea of scale on that heater, if you get it could you post sizes please?

Regards rog8811

Morgan

Yep. I think I've got a bit of a habit. Does anyone know if there if there's a laserists anonymous? :D

^Certainly will Rog.