Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

X-Drive X-Boost

I have been asked by several people in Pm's so thought I would post that,

More X-Drives should be here in a few days :wave:

OK you guys waiting on drives I just got a shipping notice so there will be a new stock of drives here on 10-1-14

rhd

These are great drivers - thanks for continuing to make them available to the forum.

IWIRE

OK you guys waiting on drives I just got a shipping notice so there will be a new stock of drives here on 10-1-14

Remember the crazy Electrician dude in Tulsa :) There's a note in your system. No hurry, I'm busy getting my garage set up for Winter. I'll send you a pic of a decorator garage with an accent wall. :crackup:

Good news I just got a shipping notification so the drives should be here tomorrow or the next day as they are only one town away right now 10-1-14

The drives came in today but it was only about half of my order 10-2-14

11-13-14 Drives have arrived and more are on the way :D

And there will be some new X-drives available soon with higher power out :D

New SXB-2 Boost drive to 4.5A out.

I will re-post a message as soon as they arrive.

Happy lasing:wave:

Last edited:
Wish I could see the input voltage ranges as well as the output voltage ranges for each one alongside their current ratings. Is there a list somewhere else showing all of the parameters?

rhd

Wish I could see the input voltage ranges as well as the output voltage ranges for each one alongside their current ratings. Is there a list somewhere else showing all of the parameters?

I don't know the specific specs on each one, but if you asked more directly about a specific driver or two, chances are someone would have an answer for you.

That said, I think it's fairly clear that the BOOSTS are meant to boost from within the safe voltage range of a single li-ion cell, and the BUCKS are meant to buck from the safe voltage range of two li-ions in series.

The chances are good that the bucks can handle the voltage of more than 2 cells, but if you understand how ripple works in switching drivers, you'll realize that you're not doing yourself any favors by going with more than 2 cells in series, if 2 cells is all you need.

If you search or the driver you are wanting info on, you will find the page for each. Lazeerer made a thread for each driver before they started being sold by Jeff :)

I'm more interested in knowing the minimum voltage the bucks can be used at & how much voltage they drop, as well as the ranges they can be adjusted for. For the boosts, knowing the amount of boost I can get at a given input voltage for full current rated output would be useful for me to have too. I've wanted to buy some of these three times, but always hold back because I'm not sure about these questions.

Better I tell you my needs than ask about a specific unit because I'm not sure which one fits best:

1. Buck that can adjust down to 2.0 VDC with minimum drop out, or voltage drop at as high a current as I can get. Can I parallel several of them through isolation diodes to get up to 16 amps?

2. Boost that I can use with 3.7 to 4.2 VDC battery to produce up to 8 VDC @ ~2.4 A or higher in a 20mm or so round shape?

3. Buck I can use with three Li-Ion batteries to produce 7-8 VDC at up to 2.5 amps, smaller round shape ~20mm. I can have a host built for them to fit in so diameter isn't a big problem, although smaller is better.

If I had the input voltage ranges for boosts and bucks, voltage drop for bucks as well as the adjustable output ranges for each device I'd be able to brain storm through them in short order and buy them. I know the voltage and current requirements for each diode, but don't clearly see how to match them up with the offerings. I'm sure once I can see what is going on this will be very easy, right now not so much.

Edit: I think you now see why I don't just ask, who wants to spend the time spooning me this info? Better if it were all there when choosing the available drivers, so wonderfully designed and happily, available. Where would we be without these? Not far.

I forgot to say think you!

Last edited:

rhd

Edit: I think you now see why I don't just ask, who wants to spend the time spooning me this info? Better if it were all there when choosing the available drivers, so wonderfully designed and happily, available. Where would we be without these? Not far.

I forgot to say think you!

Except that your questions wouldn't necessarily be answered by individual specs. For example, a boost that works down to 3V input, doesn't necessarily work for all of its output current rating right down to 3V input.

Also, you talk about adjusting bucks down to 2V. These aren't constant voltage drivers.... most if not all laser drivers will be / should be constant current. These certainly are.

I also suspect that some of these drivers won't work down to 2V of output if that were the LD's voltage drop at a particular current (for example an IR diode). You would probably need to specifically inquire. My guess is that the adjustable versions use current sensing that is powered from the VOUT of the driver, and 2V might not be enough to run the sensing IC. Just a guess though.

Last edited: