Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

X-Drive work for Case Positive Diode?

IsaacT

I recently got a free 532nm module from RHD (thanks again!!!!) But it doesn't have a driver. I could ask CNI to sell me one but only buying a driver seems stupid. Do yall think an XDRIVE V6 would work for driving an IR count diode?

Thanks,
Isaac

I dont see why it wouldnt :thinking: Unless x-drives have a porblem with higher currents at lower voltages :p (IRC IR c-mounts are usually around 2v)

use an AMC7135 based driver those are continuous positive.. What current are you driving the pump diode at? can it be a multiple of 350/380ma?

Other than that you will just have to isolate the battery or diode from the case and you will be fine. Anodized heatsink works well.

:beer:
-Matt

X-drives should be fine with IR diodes.

The x-drive V6 works perfectly fine with red diodes that are case positive and run at low voltages.

Because of the low operating voltage you'll only need a single Li-ion for the driver to function properly
and if you so desire two Li-ion's should work fine as well.

Last edited:
Slight clarification guys so just incase someone reads this they dont make any mistakes.:)

Yes the X-Drive can work with case + diodes. However if the diode is case + you must Isolate the diode from the case if you do use an X-Drive for a Case + diode as the X-Drive does not have a continuous + line going straight through. Being that you are using a C-Mount diode in that CNI module it is nearly impossible to do this without having to mess with alignment. In other words it is not worth the trouble.

So in your case it is not possible to use it.

A AMC Driver should be just fine. IN fact it is what some of the RPL's use.

I did make a round AMC driver for a couple builds and its designed for a Case + setup.

Unlike The Cheap AMC drivers you buy from DX or something they are setup for it to run case - when you put the battery in as the outer ring is CASE- on the driver and the spring in the center is +.... So if you go with this driver you will need to isolate the outer - ring from your case.(Like jay did in his C-Mount 650nm build)
http://laserpointerforums.com/f50/c-mount-red-mag-stubby-build-84462.html

On my AMC round driver the center spring pad is - and the outer ring (Or should i say the outer 2 pads on the inside of the board) connection is +. So its setup to put the battery in too as Case + so no need to isolate anything.:)

You can see the AMC driver here that i made:

Now i dont really sell these but i have a couple blank boards still left here if you want i can make you one for say $10. (its more expencive when you buy the chips in only 100pcs packages) Though my driver only has 6 AMC on it and if we use the 380mA chips that will get you ~2.3A..

CNI Diodes are either 2W or 3W for refrence in that module you have.
2W Runs at 1.8A +/-100mA
3W run at 2.2A +/- 100mA

I Pm'ed you for your other question you asked me about in PM so let me know then if you want it.:)

Or you can save a few bucks by getting the Other board version and just isolating it from the case.

It be the same thing.:beer:

IsaacT

That sounds good to me! There isn't much rush on it, I figure if it is fine with you we can do shipping altogether. Save time and money.