Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTS: Optotronics RPL-200 more power than a Spyder

That's right, the RPL-200 outputs higher average power for a longer time period than most Spyder II lasers.
This statement is based on a sample of 8 Spyder II units bought by individuals (not review sites).
Two of these were bought anonymously for Optotronics, the other 6 were sent to us by WL Spyder II owners to verify output power.
The highest output power of all the Spyder II units we tested was 223mW and this level was not maintained for more than 60 seconds.

A new shipment of RPLs have just arrived in last week.
The RPL-200 lasers now in stock have average output levels of >240mW with many approaching the power of an RPL-260.
At a cost of $799 plus shipping, you can get two for the price of one Spyder II and both will out perform the Spyder. Only downside is they are not water-proof, but from what we're reading lately in the forums, the Spyder is not overly water-proof either.

Right now, the RPL-200 is the best "Bang for the buck" laser we offer, and is probably the best deal anywhere (true average output, with high beam quality).

Like the corny TV commercials say...
"But that's not all", act now and you get a free >5mW green pointer along with a 12 month extended warranty.

Jack

Re: WTS: Optotronics RPL-200 more power than a Spy

yikes thats a great offer
a shame i just got a hulk from DL
otherwise i would be all over it

I'd like to help back of Jack's claims on the Spyders if I may. Of 4 tested units, the highest 10 minute average I measured was ~196mW and the peak on any of them was only ~215mW. Multiple of the units seemed to also have defective TECs which meant that only 1 could sustain output for more thana few minutes.

pseudonomen137 said:
I'd like to help back of Jack's claims on the Spyders if I may. Of 4 tested units, the highest 10 minute average I measured was ~196mW and the peak on any of them was only ~215mW. Multiple of the units seemed to also have defective TECs which meant that only 1 could sustain output for more thana few minutes.

Hi Carter,
I just updated my post, when I wrote it, I didn't have access to my spreadsheet with the data from the Spyder II testing we did a couple months ago, so I was estimating the peak power and didn't want to post a number lower than we actually measured. Looking at my sheet, I found that the highest peak power of the 8 Spyder II lasers we tested was 223mW (updated post with this number) and this was what I considered a "freak laser", as the other 7 had average output of between 158-192mW. I won't even go into the divergence and beam quality issues. I think they are making these lasers so that they have a focus point a few meters or more from the aperture and use the focus point diameter in their divergence calculation. We both know divergence needs to be measured after the beam waist.

You're right about the stability or lack thereof.
After I was done with the two Spyder II units, I had to return them to my manufacturer for the tear down and competitive analysis. It was reported back to me that neither of the 2 lasers had any TEC in them at all and that they only had 1.2W IR diodes in them. In the summary it said that the crystal was just slightly smaller than the original Spyder one units they tore down (and this would mean less possible output than the Spyder 1) and the major differences between versions I & II, was that the new Spyder was waterproofed, engraved and changed to accept 18650 cells, but at the cost of a little smaller crystal. Estimated bill of materials and cost to produce was approximately the same as the Spyder I with the reduced cost of the crystal offsetting the increased cost of water-proofing and engraving.

Carter, we should talk offline more or by phone; it would be fun and we could learn from each I expect.
Now it's time to go outside with my son and set off some fireworks; he's been bugging me ever since he got up and can't wait till dark...Now I think about it, when I was his age I was the same way.

Jack