Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTS: Linear Diffraction Grating

I have a linear diffraction grating up for sale, I never really found a use for it. Assuming I have my words right linear meaning it splits the beam into three different beams, one center beam and two smaller beams paralell on each side of the main center beam.

I will be honest with you on this, I tried it with my Viper 75 and the effect made was horrible... I think this is down to the grating being made from very flimsy plastic.

I have no pictures right now as I am at work but I may get some when I am home.

I will sell this for... well what do you want to offer me? Minimum being £1. UK buyers prefered.

Parallel? Are you sure? Wouldn't the beams come out at an angle?

Murudai said:
Parallel? Are you sure? Wouldn't the beams come out at an angle?

The effect is sort of like this.

+ * +

Middle being the main center beam and the plus being the two different beams.

That's not helpful at all.

(looking from top down) Do the beams come out like this:
\|/

Or like this:
|||

Murudai said:
That's not helpful at all.

(looking from top down) Do the beams come out  like this:
\|/

Or like this:
|||

From top down it looks like the first one. Just the midle beam is brightest and the ones at the side are dimmer.

Rightio [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

So it's NOT parallel then :p Got me a little excited for a moment there, I would of liked to see a parallel diffraction grating :) (Even though they don't exist).

Murudai said:
Rightio [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

So it's NOT parallel then  :p  Got me a little excited for a moment there, I would of liked to see a parallel diffraction grating :) (Even though they don't exist).

I was refering to the dots when I said parallel, I think a grating that outputs parallel beams would be impossible.

lamborgini8 said:
I was refering to the dots when I said parallel, I think a grating that outputs parallel beams would be impossible.

Being parallel is a property of lines, ie; 1 Dimensional objects (and some planes, 2D objects, but lets keep it simple). Dots are 0 Dimensional, they can't be parallel.

So having parallel dots is ALSO impossible.

Keep digging that hole for yourself... :p

Murudai said:
[quote author=lamborgini8 link=1218103409/0#6 date=1218112038]

Being parallel is a property of lines, ie; 1 Dimensional objects (and some planes, 2D objects, but lets keep it simple). Dots are 0 Dimensional, they can't be parallel.

So having parallel dots is ALSO impossible.

Keep digging that hole for yourself...  :p[/quote]

I think I better get some pictures when I get home then haha.

I guess this is what you see with the dots looking along it then?

. . .

That's not parallel :) Wrong term.

Murudai said:
I guess this is what you see with the dots looking along it then?

.     .     .

I was close enough, what term would you use for that then?

daguin

lamborgini8 said:
[quote author=Murudai link=1218103409/0#9 date=1218113565]I guess this is what you see with the dots looking along it then?

. . .

I was close enough, what term would you use for that then?[/quote]

"In line and equally spaced"

Peace,
dave

I've actually got a pair of diffraction gratings of that sort.

Pretty cool, though not as good as a matrix.

Murudai said:
I've actually got a pair of diffraction gratings of that sort.

Pretty cool, though not as good as a matrix.

I actually got it from a teacher who was showing off home made laser shows on youtube. He sent it to me for free, I was hoping it would be a matrix one but then what I ended up with is still ok considering it was free.

Well, if you cut that grating into small pieces, being careful to mark their orientation - you can rotate the pieces at 90 degrees and it will multiply the effect. You can easily obtain excellent results from doing this. If it doesn't sell, you should think of doing that. You can do it to a certain point by bending the grating and aiming the beam through the doubled up portion. ;)

I'm getting amazingly good results using a pair of those paper-framed diffraction glasses, the ones that make sparkly rainbows out of every light source. I was looking at the laser through them, then I got the idea to shine the laser through them, and blammo, matrix dots all over the ceiling. Folding the glasses over so the laser shines through both sides makes a matrix of smaller matrices... very nice. I'm now working on cutting out the lenses and mounting them on a rotating ring, possibly one going in each direction.... lots of possibilities.

Anyway: seriously cheap diffraction gratings... many places sell them for less than $1US. On Ebay they go for about $5US for 10 pair, better prices for larger quantities.

Sorry, didn't mean to sidejack the thread, just seemed applicable.