Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTF happened to my mxdl?

I bought an MXDL off DX along with the ultrafire rechargeables and the charger(as recommended by users on this forum). I got the stuff yesterday. I tried out the torch and it was really nice and bright(off the ultrafires straight out of the pack).

I depleted the batteries and went to charge them. Done the full charge til the light was green. I put the batteries back in my torch turned it on and it went for 3 seconds then it died. Now it wont turn on and i suspect the LED is dead.

I done a quick read on the Ultrafires and each battery is putting out 4.14V!?

Did i get a faulty torch? Is there a problem with the batteries? Is it the charger?

The MXDL takes 2x 3.0v only, NOT 2x 3.7v did you see the product description? ::)

lol i did now haha. Ah well. Ok then im going to be going the Cree Mod on this torch(by jayrob). Can i use the 3.6v rechargebles with that mod?

jayrob

SargeMX5 said:
lol i did now haha. Ah well. Ok then im going to be going the Cree Mod on this torch(by jayrob). Can i use the 3.6v rechargebles with that mod?

Yes, those batteries are great for the 5 mode driver I showed in my thread for the Cree mod. Also, for using a DDL style driver in the MXDL, those batteries are recommended. Just not for the stock MXDL emitter...
Jay

P.S. Your heatsinks are done. I will put them in the mail tomorrow!

Gazoo

I found something interesting with the cree mod. Now that I finally have some RCR123's, I tested the difference in brightness between those and the regular CR123's. The brightness looks about the same.

Where it gets interesting is the current being drawn by the light. When the light is on full power it is drawing 480ma's with the RCR123's, and 680ma's with the CR123's. I am guessing the current regulation of the driver is pretty good.

jayrob

Gazoo said:
I found something interesting with the cree mod. Now that I finally have some RCR123's, I tested the difference in brightness between those and the regular CR123's. The brightness looks about the same.

Where it gets interesting is the current being drawn by the light. When the light is on full power it is drawing 480ma's with the RCR123's, and 680ma's with the CR123's. I am guessing the current regulation of the driver is pretty good.

I have noticed that the brightness of the Cree is similar with the 3.0 volt primaries as well. But that is very strange about the current measurement comparison?? With a DDL laser dirver, voltage is very important. But maybe with this driver and Cree emitter, current is more desirable than voltage. ?? Hmmm...
Jay

Gazoo

jayrob said:
[quote author=Gazoo link=1204180251/0#4 date=1204246526]I found something interesting with the cree mod. Now that I finally have some RCR123's, I tested the difference in brightness between those and the regular CR123's. The brightness looks about the same.

I have noticed that the brightness of the Cree is similar with the 3.0 volt primaries as well. But that is very strange about the current measurement comparison?? With a DDL laser dirver, voltage is very important. But maybe with this driver and Cree emitter, current is more desirable than voltage. ?? Hmmm...
Jay
[/quote]

When I get a chance I will measure the voltage going to the led diode with both types of batteries. I have a feeling it will be the same.