Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTB: Laser / Wicked Laser Torch

Jmak

I have always been trolling, but now decided to purchase one for burning things and for camping use.

I was wondering how high do you think my mw should be for one that burns thing easy..

Looking for 2nd hand stuff!

Thank You!!

Blu-Rays burn most things better than other colors. No matter what, you wont start wood on fire without some added support. Maybe a match with paper would work well. Obvious the higher mW the better the burning. I'd get (if you can afford it) a 8X Blu-Ray. It will burn items much faster. 12X being the top of the line.

Grix

Blu-Rays burn most things better than other colors. No matter what, you wont start wood on fire without some added support. Maybe a match with paper would work well. Obvious the higher mW the better the burning. I'd get (if you can afford it) a 8X Blu-Ray. It will burn items much faster. 12X being the top of the line.

I though 500mW+ lasers could start fires on certain materials..

They might, but Ive never seen wood light up. Has anyone seen a hand held laser start a fire? I'm not talking matches or flash paper or something obvious like that.

It really depends where you draw the line on "burning stuff". I remember starting a campfire with my old X105 (110mW-120mW green laser) by getting a leaf to start embering. I put some more leaves on top of it and gave it some air and they lit up.

They might, but Ive never seen wood light up. Has anyone seen a hand held laser start a fire? I'm not talking matches or flash paper or something obvious like that.

I almost lit hair on fire with a 250mW 6x + 405-G-1, but the damn thing would put itself off before it got lit. Still, for example, with a 300mW 650nm I couldn't set wood on fire, just make it smoke.

Jmak

to be honest, I am just trying to look for decently cheaper one

also I would love to get that torch as well, depending on the price.

cheers

Jmak

Bump!

Thanks for all the offers, hmm how does the 120mW burn?

like how long will it take to pop a balloon and how far?

thanks and cheers!