Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTB: Laser Power Meter, 650nm Lab Modules, Safety

As the title states, I'm looking to buy a decent laser power meter (hopefully a laserbee) that won't break the bank.

also, i just recently acquired a weird fetish for lab modules.. they feel so much more.. well built? that and the virtually unlimited duty cycle makes them even more attractive :D that said, i'm looking to get my hands on a 100mw+ 650nm lab module.. 635 would be awesome (do they even exist?)

as bionicbadger suggested.. here is my budget: $125ish for a LPM (can go up or down a bit depending which LPM it is).. as for the lab module.. it really varies depending how powerful of a unit it is :p so hit me up and i'll let you know what i think

Re: WTB: Laser Power Meter, 650nm Lab Modules, Saf

I beleive there is a group buy going on with knimrod for the DIY laser meter still, but I can't remember when it was posted.

I know that Laserbee himself posted his unit on Ebay (was thinking of buying one myself) or you can buy directly from his website if you miss his ebay auction (buynow only).

Here is the link:
http://www.bauer-electron.com/eby/eby1wlpm.htm

Kenom

The knimrod meter thing ended months ago. There is no such thing as a laser power meter that won't break the bank. It just doesn't happen.

You need to put up some hard numbers on what you're willing to spend, because "break the bank" is a relative measure, and you might be surprised what is considered "cheap" for some of these things.

well.. as far as my research has gone.. next to the DIY from LaserBee going for $200 + shipping.. I think $25 to US and Canada and appx $65 worldwide..... I think the next one to that is the Coherent LaserCheck which only displays the output power through it's tiny LCD... next to that spending appx $2000-$3000 would be next.... There could be others out there, but I wasn't able to find any other ones next to those.

Wish it were cheaper... otherwise I'd buy one myself... I'd rather spend that money on buying a better laser and running test on time+distance on either popping ballons or lighting matches, but that doesn't really give you a way of determining the MW output.

Maybe in due time I'll buy myself a good one... but I'll have to wait until I'm out of this cast to see if I can start making some high end lasers for other laser enthusiasts.

Aoi

AoiShikaku said:
well.. as far as my research has gone.. next to the DIY from LaserBee going for $200 + shipping.. I think $25 to US and Canada and appx $65 worldwide..... I think the next one to that is the Coherent LaserCheck which only displays the output power through it's tiny LCD... next to that spending appx $2000-$3000 would be next....  There could be others out there, but I wasn't able to find any other ones next to those.

Wish it were cheaper... otherwise I'd buy one myself... I'd rather spend that money on buying a better laser and running test on time+distance on either popping ballons or lighting matches, but that doesn't really give you a way of determining the MW output.

Maybe in due time I'll buy myself a good one... but I'll have to wait until I'm out of this cast to see if I can start making some high end lasers for other laser enthusiasts.

Aoi

Aoi,
       stating that the LaserBee I is a DIY Laser Power Meter because it was designed and manufactured
by my company... is like saying that the Coherent LPMs are DIY LPMs as well :-? Yes... we (J.BAUER Electronics)
just like any other Company that manufactures a product... did it ourselves.. but calling the LaserBee I
a DIY LPM degrades the perception of quality of our product. :-?

FYI...
Our LaserBee I is built in an industrial environment using industrial assembly procedures and professional
equipment.
We use brand new parts in its assembly. There are no used or 2nd hand parts from a junk bin that may
be found in some hobbyists inventory. I am a hobbyist... but our company's products are manufactured
to high standards and quality using prime components.  :)

Jerry

lasersbee said:
[quote author=AoiShikaku link=1223869139/0#4 date=1223886722]well.. as far as my research has gone.. next to the DIY from LaserBee going for $200 + shipping.. I think $25 to US and Canada and appx $65 worldwide..... I think the next one to that is the Coherent LaserCheck which only displays the output power through it's tiny LCD... next to that spending appx $2000-$3000 would be next....  There could be others out there, but I wasn't able to find any other ones next to those.

Aoi

Aoi,
       stating that the LaserBee I is a DIY Laser Power Meter because it was designed and manufactured
by my company... is like saying that the Coherent LPMs are DIY LPMs as well :-? Yes... we
(J.BAUER Electronics).. just like any other Company that manufactures a produc...t did it ourselves..
but calling the LaserBee I a DIY LPM degrades the perception of quality of our product. :-?
FYI...
Our LaserBee I is built in an industrial environment using industrial assembly procedures and professional
equipment.
We use brand new parts in its assembly. There are no used or 2nd hand parts from a junk bin that may
be found in some hobbyists inventory. I am a hobbyist... but our company's products are manufactured
to high standards and quality using prime components.  :)

Jerry[/quote]

hey, i was actually planning on getting one of your power meters.. i just have a uqick question.. it says on your website that the deluxe version has a "peak" capability in its firmware. what does that exactly entail? are you able to access the peak power through the menu? i was just wondering because the basic model comes with data logging right? couldnt the data log also give the peak power?

thanks

Yes.. the PC Interface Software shows a Max and Average reading of the screen graph.
The LaserBee I's LCD screen always shows you the Peak Power of a complete test until you
reset the peak to zero.
As a matter of fact the 3rd Generation PCBs are in production and all the LaserBee Is including
the Deluxe LaserBee I will now have the Peak detector feature included. ;)

Just to note... once in a while we will put up a LaserBee I on ebay... that is the only place
where we sell a NON Data Loggging LaserBee I (to save you some investment costs) but
for $24.99 you can purchase the Data Logging Option... which will include the PC Interface
Software and Instructions on CD. The Data Cable and Data Logging Firmware are also included
with the D/L option. On our web site we only sell the LaserBee I models with the Data Logging
feature.

Jerry

awesome.. ill be ordering one on a few weeks then :p gotta save up some money

AoiShikaku said:
I think the next one to that is the Coherent LaserCheck which only displays the output power through it's tiny LCD... i
Just for clarification in case you are slightly considering the LaserCheck, I would stay away from the LaserCheck if I were you because many members here report it being very inaccurate. If you can afford it definitely get the LaserBee.

r34p3rex said:
awesome.. ill be ordering one on a few weeks then :p gotta save up some money

I know how it is........ I hear you........ ;)

styropyro said:
[quote author=AoiShikaku link=1223869139/0#4 date=1223886722] I think the next one to that is the Coherent LaserCheck which only displays the output power through it's tiny LCD... i
Just for clarification in case you are slightly considering the LaserCheck, I would stay away from the LaserCheck if I were you because many members here report it being very inaccurate. If you can afford it definitely get the LaserBee.[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words.........  ;)

If you can afford the LaserCheck... then you can easily afford the LaserBee I + Thermopile.
(LaserCheck = $350-$500) (LaserBee I + Thermopile = $209 + less expensive on eBay) ;)

I also have a brand new (5-6 months ago) LaserCheck...and I can't get a repeatable reading
with a known stable laser. As well as it does not seem to like 405nm. The LaserCheck uses a
photo sensor that needs to take into account the wavelength of the laser under test.... so you
need to know the exact wavelength of your laser to get a good reading. :)

Sry about that LaserBee... had a lot of tabs open and lots of thoughts trying to point out... thanks for pointing out my error.

But anyhow.. I'm thinking of buying one.
Just waiting to get out of this cast (hit by a car and broke my wrist) to see whether or not if I had the time + resources to start manufacturing lasers for other ppl on here. It would seriously suck if I got out of this cast and my hand was jittery from muscle deformation... that's my main worry.

AoiShikaku said:
Sry about that LaserBee... had a lot of tabs open and lots of thoughts trying to point out...  thanks for pointing out my error.

But anyhow.. I'm thinking of buying one.
Just waiting to get out of this cast (hit by a car and broke my wrist) to see whether or not if I had the time + resources to start manufacturing lasers for other ppl on here.  It would seriously suck if I got out of this cast and my hand was jittery from muscle deformation... that's my main worry.

N/P.... ;)

The best thing after the cast comes off.. is to slowly (without overdoing it) exercise the wrist.
Your hand will most likely be a bit jittery... you probably lost a bit of muscle mass around the break...
I've had a few fractures along the way as well.. :)

lasersbee said:
N/P.... ;)

The best thing after the cast comes off..  is to slowly (without overdoing it) exercise the wrist.
Your hand will most likely be a bit jittery... you probably lost a bit of muscle mass around the break...
I've had a few fractures along the way as well.. :)

Cast just came off today... I'm in a lot of pain.. lost a lot of movement.. can't rotate my wrist without rotating the entire arm.
Doc's said no physio due to the ligaments still healing.. no pain killers... and just mess around with my arm so I can get full movement back... God the pain from moving it... I still can't type with two hands.. my wrist wont twist enough to lay it flat on my keyboard :'(

How long until did it take you to get it back to normal?? I've been in the cast since July.... :'(