Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTB - Laser flashlight (ND3 knockoff)

Nerf

Just like the thread title says, I need a 'laser flashlight', akin to the laser genetics ND3/ND5, but theres no way I'm paying those guys $300+ for what they're selling - it will be rifle mounted, so size/weight is only a minor issue, but I'd really like it take a single 18650 and be smaller than a standard 3-9x30mm riflescope.

It'll be used for hog hunting at night, i'd say maximum beam width of 15' at 200 yards, preferably with adjustable focus, as hogs aren't exactly the most cooperate of critters.

I know green lasers can have issues with cold, but if a red laser just won't have the visibility needed at range, I'll have a neoprene sock sewn with some pockets for handwarmer packets in to counter the cold issue.

Rifle is black, black housing would be nice, but I've got local guys that can anodize/duracoat if it's just not possible for you.

So, whats this thing going to cost me? Goal is under $100, and I'm after functionality first and foremost.

If it works, I'd consider trading my custom steampunk keyboard+case for a handful of em, and/or can get whoever is able to make the best one for a reasonable price some decent business from the hunters around here - as soon as deer season ends in January everyone goes into hog slaying mode to try to stop them from destrying their deer leases for the next year, and hogs are a dusk til dawn hunt for the most part.

Keyboard:
SAM_0192.JPG

Case:
SAM_0193.JPG

Nerf

For anyone hesitant to deal with a brand new guy - I'm more than happy to use an intermediary to broker the deal, and if you head on over to E-Cigarette Forum you can see that I've got a pretty solid rep - hundreds of completed deals with not one unhappy customer - theres still a stickied thread in the modders forum from when I was selling connectors so DIY folks could make their own ecigs.

I just don't have the time or the patience to try to make this myself, it would be an awesome project, but I'm back in school and on my way to being Dr. Nerf, so I'd rather pay someone else here to do it for me ^_^

Thanks!

Toke

I am not familiar with guns or sights, but it looks like you need a low power (18mW?) focusable green laser.
The ND3/5 looks expensive, it is likely due to good quality optics and being solid enough to handle recoil.

If you try something like this you will likely have trouble mounting it, have to fiddle with focusing, and it might fall apart inside at first shot.

Nerf

From some quick reading I've been doing on the forum (prior to the original post), it looks like I need some sort of beam expander that uses 2 lenses, with the 2nd being adjustable. There were a few people in various DIY threads showing ones they made using monoculars with some success. I was thinking that an el-cheapo 20mm 1-4x adjustable scope would be the perfect host, as it already has the mechanical internals for moving two lenses. Insert laser, change the lenses to the special lenses needed for beam expanders, and build it sturdy enough to withstand recoil.

I'm probably making it sound a whole lot more simple than it is, but that's the way I've seen it explained several times.

Nerf

Am I way off on here availability/price/something else?

All I really care about is function, everything else is negotiable.

Nerf

The crickets are deafening...am I just barking up the wrong tree and this isn't possible?

If you come up with anything please let me in on it. I kind of feel guilty about my lack of participation on this forum (I am already in so many I can't keep track of them) but the main reason I joined up was to research exactly what you are talking about. Unfortunately I am just not so bright with all the jargon and electronics stuff. I wouldn't mind just buying one of the production units you are speaking of except I have not read many good things about them and for that money I would expect something pretty rock solid. I have the ability to physically build whatever I need, I just don't know what parts to use and how to build the electronics. I do have a 100mW red laser I purchased off ebay that is supposedly from a DVD or CD burner? I put it into a 3 AA flashlight housing for another project that didn't work out. The laser rocks, but not for what I was attempting. If I can remember where I put it I am going to start shooting it through lens configurations until I get a result I like then build some type of housing for it. The other option I am pursuing is a red led flashlight that uses a collimator lens. It's a Tiablo A9, I read about it over on candlepowerforums, with the red led modification and lens it throws a VERY defined red square out an impressive distance. Unfortunately it also requires some electronic work which I have yet to learn enough about. My goal is to be inside of $200 and RELIABLE. I may yet buy and ND3 and give it a fair chance but so far I am just not feeling very good about them. Good luck and keep me posted.

Interesting PC by the way. not really my cup of tea but its cool in its own right. Where are you trying to slay hogs at? I am shooting coyotes in Michigan.

Last edited:
Its possible, just not cheap. Greens use crystals, and its difficult to protect them from recoil. Thats why they are so much money. And you do need a beam expander to work like the ND3. In any event you are going to spend some cash, so you might as well just buy the ND3.

Nerf

On the recoil bit - thats actually one of the reasons I'm avoiding the ND3 - while every review I've seen has said that the brightness is damned impressive, quite a few have had complaints of them not holding up to recoil very well. Flickering, turning themselves off, brightness dropping by 90%, etc.

On a $100 light, I could see putting up with that sort of crap, but for $300+ that is just absolutely unacceptable.

On the color - I don't care if it's green, if a red works, I'd gladly take red, I just want my 125-200yard 10' beam flashlight.

Nerf

This beam expander has the wrong coating for 532nm, but gives an idea of what they look like and cost at an optical surplus store.
PRECISION 6X YAG IR LASER BEAM EXPANDER - Surplus Shed

I don't need anything near 'precision' - remember my only real requirement is a 5-20' circle/square/triangle/whatever from between 50 and 125-200 yards. It doesn't even need to be consistent from one change to another, if at 50 yards the brightest beam is 5' one time and 7' another, I really don't care, I just want to shoot things.

Nerf

I'd prefer to avoid blue if it's possible, I'm not sure how well it would work at night, or if it will spook critters. I know that red and green generally don't generate a reaction, so I want to stick with those for now.

On a 1W laser I know that I would also need goggles - I'm a laser newbie, would these hamper my ability to see at night? This won't be hunting from a comfortable treestand and waiting for animals to come grab some food at the feeder 50 feet away, it's going to be hiking through crappy Texas brush and looking for hogs.

You can also have him turn it down.

For the kind of money you want to spend, your not going to get a bright red spot from any distance. You could go IR, and a pair of night vision goggles. The animals wouldn't even see it..

Nerf

NVG/NV riflescopes are a *bit* pricier than a laser flashlight would be, even if I paid retail for the ND3 I'm trying to get someone to copy.

You can buy/make an IR laser fairly cheap. If you already have night vision goggle, it may be a good alternative.