Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTB IR 808 2-4w portable

Why?
To burn shit?
There really is no reason you need a 4W portable (near) invisible wavelength laser.

I would strongly recommend you stay away unless you have a legitimate scientific use for it and know and understand the dangers and how to safely operate it.

It is absolutely doable, but not many have done it.
You won't find anyone who has built one selling to someone they don't trust. It is a very dangerous item.

instead of scientific, my purpose if more of artistic

i want to make some kind of wood art work by burning it i.e the laser is like brush and paint

udanis

i dont think the stuff im going to sell is worth that much....

Then no laser for you :D

Read up on the board a little. You can build a fairly high powered laser pretty cheap with a little research.

I see.
Something that would suit your application better and be easier to control would be a fiber coupled laser.

The laser is directed through a fiber optic which can be flexible and easier to hold than a large laser.
Also, 4W is a lot of power. In my opinion, too much for engraving wood. In the right circumstances you could end up getting a flame from the wood surface.
2W would be the most I would go with if doing it by hand.

Also, anything in this power range, especially fiber coupled, is going to be quite expensive.
If you haven't already, I would look into alternative methods for cost-effectiveness.

You can try contacting a few companies for pricing.

I can think of LaserGlow, Dragonlasers, and Optotronics off the top of my head. They will probably be the best and most affordable options.

Last edited:
or perhaps a nice 405nm would do the job? my 560mw one seem to burn wood pretty nicely.
if i dont move to fast