Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTB: Anyone to fix my mess..

• Thread starter Deleted member 22482
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 22482

Hello....

So I just tried to make a new laser and I failed catastrophally. Okay, So I have got one wire soldered to one pin, the other pin however, is impossible to solder on to. But when I succeeded to solder all the 4 joints required, I realised the heatsink was out of it's place and I had to restart, so I did and then the pin wire falls off and I'm back on spot one.

I have been doing it for 5 hours now, my back is hurting and I can't do anything.. I'm a failure when it comes to soldering. And I thought that it'd be funny to work..

Oh well - I'm wondering if anyone in the US or in one of the nordic countries (Sweden preferrably) could receive the package, and finish the laser? It won't be hard for someone who is a pro, who has got helping hands etc. I have nothing so I failed.

I will pay you for it, pay the shipping to there and pay the shipping from there. Please! It will just take 10 minutes of your time or even less, but I promise to pay you equivalent of 2-3 hours of work.

It is a just add diode kit from mohrenberg that will be sent, with the diode already pressed and one wire soldered to it.

Thanks...................... I'm about to cry.. (not literally) I have never, never, never failed so miserably with something like I have today. I bought a soldering station for $250 just to fail, to realise I'm not built for these things..

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't say you're "not cut out" for soldering and electronics work based on a failed experience early on. This stuff requires practice, and soldering tiny things like laser diodes is not really the best place to start. If you want my advice, I'd find as many old circuit boards as you can find (the older the better) and practice removing and replacing parts on them. Also, try practicing soldering random scrap pieces of wire together. With time you'll get to be a pro at it!

Last edited:
Keep your chin up, man. Soldering takes practice, and learning how to do it on a laser diode is a very tall order.

Order some helping hands - they really do help. You clamp the LD in one, clamp the wire in the other, and are then able to align the two perfectly, freeing up both of your hands to work on the solder joint. But seriously, practice on something first so you get the hang of things.

D

Deleted member 22482

Don't say you're "not cut out" for soldering and electronics work based on a failed experience early on. This stuff requires practice, and soldering tiny things like laser diodes is not really the best place to start. If you want my advice, I'd find as many old circuit boards as you can find (the older the better) and practice removing and replacing parts on them. Also, try practicing soldering random scrap pieces of wire together. With time you'll get to be a pro at it!

Of course.. Of course. But that will take some time. And I don't want that laser sitting around here. What is left right now is three things on that laser, solder the last wire to the pin, insulate it, and then make the two connections. That is all I'm asking someone to do because I can't, not today or not tomorrow. I'm going to start practicing next week when I get some circuit boards, but until then, I don't want to see the attempt that led myself to failure and so much pain..

I'm asking someone to do 3 joints basically and I'm paying for it. So is there anyone who wants to do it for me?

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 22482

Keep your chin up, man. Soldering takes practice, and learning how to do it on a laser diode is a very tall order.

Order some helping hands - they really do help. You clamp the LD in one, clamp the wire in the other, and are then able to align the two perfectly, freeing up both of your hands to work on the solder joint. But seriously, practice on something first so you get the hang of things.

I ordered one now.

Besides, my solder flux and all my wire+heatshrink ended up in my first build (and I succesfully only did one joint) so it will take some time for that to arrive to me aswell so I was hoping someone could do it.

Please, accept the devil! (For you guys it's a normal laser) Please, accept it until I have atleast taught myself that devils can be gods aswell. (Bad metaphor,aye)

I would have offered to do so but I'm in the US, plus I can't really take on any more side work ATM.. didn't mean to post off-topic.

First thing, is to remain patient. If you rush through and electronics project, you will mess something up by forgetting something, or blowing through an important process without paying attention. Just go slowly, only ONE step at a time. Keep practicing, and you'll get it! There are good diode soldering videos on youtube you can watch, having been put up by many of the folks here!

D

Deleted member 22482

I would have offered to do so but I'm in the US, plus I can't really take on any more side work ATM.. didn't mean to post off-topic.

What I want is someone in the US preferrably.

You are right, being patient is the thing, but I hate seeing something unfinished in front of me. I want to get it finished so I have time to practice before taking myself on something as painful as that.

Thanks.

I could do it for you but I'm in the US. I wont charge for labor but I'm not responsible if the laser does not work. The reason I say this is because its possible you may have already killed it and I don't want to take the blame if your diode is dead. This should go for anyone else who may do this for him besides me.

A few tips.

*Tin your wire AND your diode pins! Doing this should only take a split second to solder and shouldn't bridge the connections.

*Make sure your wire, diode pins and soldering iron have CLEAN solder on them. Too much flux is okay but if you have dirty corroded solder... well nothing is going to stick.

*Practice on junky boards! As everyone else said... you will be pro in no time.

*Helping hands make life 1000x easier.

Good luck and keep us updated!

D

Deleted member 22482

I found someone to do it for me. I can atleast sleep tonight. Oh god, I need to sleep. I don:'t understand, how do I tin the wires/pins?

Just heat the wire up and apply solder directly to it. It should look silvery and not charred looking. do that to the pins too. Then all you do is touch the wire to the pin on the diode. When it melts it should make a solid connection.

D

Deleted member 22482

Just heat the wire up and apply solder directly to it. It should look silvery and not charred looking. do that to the pins too. Then all you do is touch the wire to the pin on the diode. When it melts it should make a solid connection.
How much do I have to touch the pin or wire before applying solder? Wont the pin get damaged¿ (but doesnt really matter, it has been over 10 minutes "runtime" on that pin.)

It shouldn't take anymore than 5 seconds to tin each pin and no more than 5 seconds to solder the wire on.

jayrob

Good solder advice from jeffreythe00...

There's a bunch of videos on YouTube for soldering, but this short clip shows the main thing that is needed for soldering:

As was mentioned, it's very important to have the tip clean, and to pre-tin...

If you pre-tin the wire, as well as the tip, then hold the wire parallel to the diode pin and touch both parts at the same time.

It will only take about 1 second (or less), of a touch to the diode pin.

I like to use 60/40 .032 size...

Also, it's much easier to solder a fine wire to the diode pin, than it is to solder the diode directly to the driver.

For the smaller builds, I like the really fine wire found in a computer mouse cord. The copper stuff. (most mice have several strands of fine copper wire in the cord)

How long were you applying heat to the pins of the diode with the soldering iron? it is very possible you could have destroyed your diode.