Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTB: Aluminum Heat Sink for Dorcy Jr

I had a couple aluminum heat sinks made a while ago and they worked out great but I can't find anywhere to buy / trade for some more. If anyone knows of a supplier or could sell me some I'd appreciate it. Here's some pics of what I'm looking for. The diameter needs to fit inside the dorcy jr head, in these pics I had used a drill to make the hole but a machined drill would be even better if possible.

I'm looking to buy enough to make 10 heat sinks, at about $5 or so each. If the hole could be drilled in it I'd be willing to pay $7.50 or 10 each.

Thanks,
Kendall
heat%20sink.gif

I did indeed make these myself,
I was a machinist  before I became a "aero-space tool-designer", I still have the machines, and enjoy making a few chips now and then. Thanks for the compliments. ;)
These 'sinks really work best when used with the original "reflector" (plastic-shiny part), drilled out to for clearance of the Aixis module to pass into a little, and about half of the front of the reflector cutoff to make room for the new heat-sink. This keeps the aluminum away from you electrical connections, and keeps everythhing together in a module, just like from the factory. Although they work on thier own well too.
It looks like I will be making a batch of 10 for "sk8er4514" this weekend, if everything works out. If anyone would like to get a few of these, I could make a few extra for $15 each, +$3 shipping to any US location, I will have to look into international-shipping, if there is any interest.
These are made from 6061-T6 "aircraft-grade aluminum" and each gets precision machined inside and out, the heatsink will not even fit into the Dorcy head if it is too warm, but slides in at room temp. This means there should be great thermal-transfer in operation, (the heat-sink will swell inside the head, like a press-fit). I place (2) small set-screws, (included) into the diameter to hold the aixiz/DX module firmly in place, this works really well, and allows lots of room for soldering without the heat-sink in the way, you just slide the heat-sink on when you are done, and lock down the screws.
If anyone buy one/some of these heat-sinks, I will include the machining of your original Dorcy-reflector, and the back-end of your Aixiz/DX module, and I will process those to all fit together, if you get me the two extra parts prior to me sending out your heatsinks, otherwise you will need to pay for the additional shipping.
[highlight]My cut-off date for this will be this Friday June, 13th[/highlight]. I will make all of the heat-sinks this weekend, and ship-out by next Tuesday at the latest, unless anyone is sending me thier "Dorcy-parts" to process, (included in price).
Just PM me if anyone is interested ;D ;D
Dark Horse

Kenom

Nice. The one's I had made were small enough so that I had to PRESS FIT the aixiz module into the sink. It was the same height as the aixiz do there was no need to remove it at any time. Still very nice work.

Nice.  The one's I had made were small enough so that I had to PRESS FIT the aixiz module into the sink.  It was the same height as the aixiz do there was no need to remove it at any time.  Still very nice work.
I had started with the press-fit, but the module's O.D. range in size enough, (.004") that it made this impractical for me at least. I wanted to have these work every time with every module. Also, I have found it is really nice to able to remove the heat-sink so easily, hence the tight-fit with set-screws.
As far as length goes, these are about the same length as the "head" of the module, (3/8" long), and I incorporate part of the old reflector into the new design, (after it is cut-down). But I could make them whatever length someone wanted.
Thanks again, ;D
Dark Horse

Kenom

Well, I'd like to say to those that are considering getting one of these they are wonderful unit. They look to be very well crafted, and unlike the one's I used, don't cost $30 per heatsink. It's nice having your own lathe.

I'm buying as many as I can :) I'll be making some open cans and blu rays with them for some nice high power builds.

Last chance for this run, are there any others that would like one of these? :)
Dark Horse