Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

wtb 1500-2000mw 445nm or 405 nm

i know i am new here but i was told this is the right place to look for a good laser pointer. i am needing a lower cost but something that i can focus and use in my aquarium for zapping apstia and other things in the tank. if anyone could let me know if they have any for sale or can build to spec. that would be amazing please let me know what you have and if shipping is an option.

1 watt i think will actually be fine its a ton of power. remember safety first. here is a bundle that comes with safety glasses, they also have a 1.4W version if you are so inclined Survival Laser I 445nm Parts Bundle w/Accessories & Rechargeable Batteries

always wear those included safety glasses when burning with your laser. these are not toys and can cause serious and permanent eye damage. good luck and be SAFE

:beer:

Last edited:
yeah the ones they have been testing with were 1,800 at 445 i just do not want to go to short on power cause i have 36" deep tanks

yeah the ones they have been testing with were 1,800 at 445 i just do not want to go to short on power cause i have 36" deep tanks

do you have any soldering skills? you could make a higher powered laser for cheaper. but its still expensive. to get up to that power you will need a high quality lens etc. feel free to pm me with questions. also browse around the BST section and see whats up for sale ;)

what do you mean at that power? well it depends http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/jayrob-build-kits-lenses-other-stuff-listed-here-44227.html

jayrob has some awesome kits especially if you want it to be super easy. he offers the "hot" option so your driver is pre installed and pre-set. it is a bit costly but his build quality is top notch. with the "hot" option all you have to do is solder your diode to the leads.

one important thing is the duty cycle of your laser. a general rule is the bigger the host-bigger heatsink-longer duty cycle. and you really want a long duty cycle. also if you want such a high power it will produce more heat that say a 1W laser so you want a bigger heatsink. this allows you to keep it on longer without haveing to let it cool down.

How much time do you think you will be putting on it?
The life of these diode is fairly significantly reduced at very high power levels.
What kind of battery life are you looking for, or would you want somthing that plugs in?

as for size you can make them how ever big or small you want, sizes range from just larger than a AAA battery, up to... the largest i have built is a 2D maglite. The bigger, generaly the longer duty cycle and battery life.

Edit:
is that a comon way to get rid of unwanted groth in a fisht tank, to blasting them with lasers???

Last edited:
Now would a bigger heat sink reduce the wear and tear on the diode like with LEDs allowing for a longer life?

kinda i mean if you over heat it it will damage it i would recomend sticking to around 1.5W for longer life still a ton of power though

i know i am new here but i was told this is the right place to look for a good laser pointer. i am needing a lower cost but something that i can focus and use in my aquarium for zapping apstia and other things in the tank. if anyone could let me know if they have any for sale or can build to spec. that would be amazing please let me know what you have and if shipping is an option.

Aquarium cleaning? There has to be a better way to do that then with a high power handheld laser.

There have been several recent posts from a new user asking about a how to burn things behind a glass to cheat at an arcade machine. (Those posts have since been deleted and the user banned)

If I'm incorrect in saying that your post sounds very similer, please accept my apoligies. However since you have three posts and are asking pretty much the same thing, (i.e. I want to buy a laser to burn things behind glass) I'm automatically suspicious.

Aquarium cleaning? There has to be a better way to do that then with a high power handheld laser.

There have been several recent posts from a new user asking about a how to burn things behind a glass to cheat at an arcade machine. (Those posts have since been deleted and the user banned)

If I'm incorrect in saying that your post sounds very similer, please accept my apoligies. However since you have three posts and are asking pretty much the same thing, (i.e. I want to buy a laser to burn things behind glass) I'm automatically suspicious.

your way off man this is the new thing with reef tanks. i dont have time to link you to other threads....but yep they use them to kill small pest. somewhere there is a really awesome high quality video of it in action. again no time to link you sorry but look around :beer:

your way off man this is the new thing with reef tanks. i dont have time to link you to other threads....but yep they use them to kill small pest. somewhere there is a really awesome high quality video of it in action. again no time to link you sorry but look around :beer:

Glad to hear it. It just sounded odd to me. I'm just paranoid. :D

Edit: So yeah I think I'm completly off. Just found a thread where someone was using a Survial Laser for this type of thing.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2090418

Please disregard my ravings today. I must not have had enough coffee yet.

Last edited:
LOL yep im trying to find the thread on here about it. somebody took a hd video of himself burning up the little pests. its pretty neat

Yep that is 100% the plan
As I am a aquarium maintaince company I am trying to be on the cutting edge of all of this an because I do these maintainces when the companies are closed these would promise me the safety required with such a high out put laser

You should be able to find everything you need from folks around here. The survival laser shown in the post I linked is a good choice and it was actually one of my first higher powered lasers. The owner of Survival Lasers is a member here and gives discounts to LPF members. Althugh unless you go for one of the SL2 models it will likely be around 1.2W, which should still be plenty.

Here is the info on SL. http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/s...de-lpf-deals-special-laser-bundles-65112.html

Just make sure you pick up a good set of protection goggles. I always recommend the Eagle Pair that he sales. Don't skimp on the glasses. Some of the cheap ones do next to nothing for you. These are ALWAYS important, but even more so if you are planning on pointing a laser at glass.

edit: Man I give up today. I am off. I read right past the recommendation for SL already. ;)

Oh and btw welcome to the forum. :)

Last edited: