Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WRONG !! READ AND LEARN, FOLKS

well, I just got my LD from senkat about 5 minutes ago.  I was very excited finally having the last component needed to complete my laser, but it won't work! :'(

i carefully took it out of the bubble bag and out of its little clear case.  I hooked it up to 3 volts at 200 ma and it just gave me a dim glow. :'(

I was so pissed :mad:

Its not Senkats fault, but I'm just pissed that I waited 2 weeks for it to arrive and it doesn't work! :mad:

I hooked it up like it should be, but still the same glow like a tiny LED.

You will see this same post in the sales section.  I'm putting it a lot of places cause I want answers

T

timelord

Re: I just received a defective LD from Senkat

Surely a PM or email to SenKat would do ::)

S

SenKat

As an FYI -

It has been discussed in MULTIPLE threads that each Laser Diode will differ in the voltage and current required to make it work properly...I have sent out only good diodes to the best of my knowledge - but there is no way I can test each and every one of them. When dealing with items of this specific static sensitivity - there is no safe way for me to test each one prior to shipping :( I work on a grounded mat, with a wrist strap, and do not even move my body while packaging these diodes. I have NEVER killed anything via a static discharge, not do I ever intend to. A simple PM (as you sent) would have been fine - but now that you have said it is defective - that is incorrect. The way it is handled after it leaves my possession is in no way under my control - I know that I take proper precautions, therefor it is in my judgement that it is you that has killed the diode, and not a defective diode that was sent out. you stated it was not my fault in one breath, then you state it is defective in the next breath. sorry you had issues, but unless you started out with zero voltage and zero current, and worked your way up from there to the actual voltage and current required to run that particular diode, the blame rests entirely on your shoulders.

I am here to SELL DIODES in the group buy threads - not build each laser seperately and send them on to you. I had an extremely annoying email earlier today where an idiot (yes, I called that person an idiot) emailed me whining that when they hooked it up to two AA batteries the diode died. YES ! OMFG !!! So, now you, and anyone else who even considers purchasing ANYTHING from me now, or in the future can read this next statement, and take it to heart :

You are on your own with building anything out of any components you purchase. Unless you buy a complete laser from me, it is not my responsibility, nor is any warranty stated or implied, to make sure you build stuff properly. READ THE FORUM - read the data sheets, read other forums, read google, do some research, and do not expect to be spoon fed al the information you require in order to make a highly technical device. This is my rant for this afternoon - take it to heart, pass over it, read it and learn from it, absorb the information, close your browser - whatever you care to do is what you care to do. I do NOT sell defective anything, unless it is stated in advance that it is defective.

Any questions, I have now turned this into a vent thread, and feel free to post them here. If you are offended by the thread, go to another one then.

Greg

OK, sorry, but I jumped to conclusions.

Senkats diode works perfect.  its Deadals driver that isn't working right.

I took a huge risk and hooked the LD directly to batteries.  

It was a lot safer than AA's or AAA's, i used button cells.

thinking it didn't work, it blasted me in the face with red when I hooked it up to the buttons.

well, at least I know whats wrong.  but Deadal is the only one who can help.

S

SenKat

Again - sorry to blast out at you, Phazonx, but Daedal's circuit has been widely published everywhere for YEARS before he published it here...if you built it incorrectly, the blame rsts on your shoulders alone - not Daedal....accept responsibility for your actions.  did Daedal SEND you a driver circuit ?  If so, and it does not work to his specifications, then yeah....he could be at fault...but if YOU built it - where does the blame lie ?  Come on !

Greg

I bought one of his Regulated PSU driver thingys and it will give me 200ma and 3 volts.

but when hooked up to the diode, it will make it glow bright, but then quickly dim to a faint light.

I tested this same diode with 2 button cells and it glows quite bright.

Gazoo

What are you using to power Daedal's circuit....could that be the problem?

The power for Deadals circuit is 12volt 1 amp

Deadals circuit puts out what it is supposed to when I adjust the pots.

and the multimeter reads: 3.01 volts and 200ma.

but when I connect it to the LD, it glows bright, but then it drops down to a bearly visible red light.

but it works bright with 2 button cells.

S

SenKat

You are reading the voltage and current without a load ?  There has to be a load on it for you to get an accurate measurement.

Gazoo

I was just wondering if you had a bad power supply. If not then PM Daedal and ask him where the problem might be with his circuit.

Be very careful...even hooking up directly to button cells is not the best idea...but I am glad your diode is ok ;)

hey SenKat, should I "up" the current and voltage with the LD in operation until I reach 3volt 200ma? :-/

S

SenKat

Phazonx said:
I get 400ma from the cells

If you are using 400ma to power the diode, it will not last long unless you are using TEC cooling as well.

Did you take your current and voltage measurements from Daedals circuit BEFORE hooking up the diode ? If so - your measurements are wrong - you cannot measure it without load !

Gazoo

It sounds to me as though the capacitor in the circuit may be powering the diode when it is hooked up, and this is why it lights for a short time. Be sure to hook up the diode and meter before applying power to the circuit!

still not working :(

with the meter on or off the circuit, and adjusting the volts current, still has no effect

THe thing I'm starting to think is that the Regulator isn't working properly.

and um, Can I change my title back?

S

SenKat

Change your title back to where you improperly accused me of selling crap ? I don't think so. This is now a matter for you to take up with Daedal via a private discussion - enough clutter, this topic is closed.