Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Would you use your laser for self defense?

Beta

You find yourself in a dark alley.  Out of nowhere, a big dude tackles you, wrestles you to the ground and takes your wallet.  He then pulls his jacket aside, to reveal a sheathed knife, and asks you if you have any last words.

In this final moment you realize that you have your highest power portable laser in your pocket, but no other weapons.  He has you cornered in a dead end.

You are now faced with a life and death situation.  

Would you...

Razako

I'm pretty sure that any sane person would defend their life with whatever potential weapon the have. Lasers aren't very good for close quarters self defense though. By the time you had it out of your pocket and ready to go the thugs would already be on you. If a couple of people were chasing after me at night I would have no problem with blasting them in the face.

You think you'll get the time to aim properly and long enough at all those eyes? After a possible first startle, you'll probably get clobbered big time, and finding your laser put in a place where the sun never shines.

Razako

Your question would also be better if there was only one bad guy. It's highly unlikely that you would be able to flashblind both of them fast enough.

Beta

Okay you're right let me edit my post to clarify.

I had 2 guys so that you could know that they intend to kill you and so that you know that you can't try and run for it.

diachi

well if you were the worlds fastest runner you could run for it ;)

Beta

I remember reading in the Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook (highly recommended book!) how running in a zig-zag can be very effective in avoiding getting shot. Some people might do that if faced with an armed assailent and that's basically what I was talking about.

Razako

Your edited question is even worse :p If he has a gun to your face then you are already dead and there isn't much you can do.

Beta

Razako said:
Your edited question is even worse :p  If he has a gun to your face then you are already dead and there isn't much you can do.
You sure are picky >.>

here is a better version of the question...

Faced with the possibility of bodily harm or death, would you resort to the use of a handheld laser to blind you assailant, if the situation lent itself to this being possible?

i wouldn't use the laser because if i got sued for it afterward then i would be put in jail and fined for having a laser of really high power, and i think jail would be worse than death,

Beta i've thought about the same thing LOL I reckon it would distract/ immobilize them for enough time for you to get away which is a good thing but then again if it was a good laser you'd seriously stuff them up. :D

Razako

laserlover said:
i wouldn't use the laser because if i got sued for it afterward then i would be put in jail and fined for having a laser of really high power, and i think jail would be worse than death,
Are you serious? Just hide the laser really well after the incident and let the cops try to find it ;D
Btw what is the thug with the knife going to say in court? "oh I was robbing this guy with a knife and he took out his laser and blinded me"

You'd be surprised with some of the stuff people can get away with these days. The justice system is so fked up.

Anyway, No I would not try to blind him (Assuming it's one guy, which it never really is...) . It probably would not work in close quarters as others have said... I'd hit him in the face with my elbows and knees.
Maybe if you're really desperate you can shine your laser at windows and cars trying to get attention...