Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Would this driver work?

I've just ordered a Cree XP-G R5 flashlight to use as a host. Originally I was going to drive an M140 diode With a boost driver soldered into the pill (striped of all components) but notices the flashlight driver is putting out up to 1.4a, three modes, low mid and high. I've looked through some threads here looking to see if it was usable, but didn't really find a conclusive answer.
This is the driver:

3-Mode Regulated Circuit Board for Cree XP-G, XM-L and XR-E (1.4A Max.)

I've seen m140 diodes running at near 2A so at 1.4 it should be safe? Even with current spikes ect.
It would make the build much easier and cheaper.
Any input from a more experienced member would be greatly appreciated, I've only built one 445 before so I'm still relatively new to all this :S

Blord

Only way to be sure is test the driver with a test load. This little device is necessary with any build. That driver is using AMC7135 chips. It is a linear driver. You will need two 3.7V batteries to overcome the Vf of the 445nm diodes.

Thanks for replying :)
Think I'll invest in a test load as I'm more than likely going to build many more lasers anyway. Hope this build goes well as its my first with a proper host (my other one was a old alarm clock) :')

Blord

Some members are selling testload. Just do a search in Buy/Sell section.
If you are in a hurry, you could make a cruel cheapass testload like this,

testload.jpg