Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Would this as a first project be a bad idea?

GhostDog98

So basically i am tihnking of building a laser of ~300mw, 808nm as my first laser project, i have experience in electrical engineering and have also researched about the safety hazards of lasers and will be wearing goggles for the appropriate wavelength of laser, my question is; Where can i get a diode and driver 'set' that would fit together? I was thinking of a diode of these specs:

Power output: CW 300mW
Wavelength: 808nm
Operating voltage: 2.2V
Sealed size: TO18(5.6mm)
Ebay Itm Number (AU site): 303155210345

What would be a suitable driver for this diode? Is this a really dumb idea even with goggles?

Hi,
I would choose a visible WV, invisible is dangerous . choose a nice 520 single mode or 445.450WL. you will be better off and it will be more satifying. Those diodes are usually used in DPSS lasers like 532nm to produce the green beam through a crystal .
This is a 520 single mode.
Rich:)B4622BF4-3EB9-45D0-BA8E-BA1EFA6AE44D_1_105_c.jpeg07211960-2D67-4C18-B0EC-3798AA0397E4_1_201_a.jpegC056884A-F212-4C4F-9099-1CE6DEC69103_1_105_c.jpeg

GhostDog98

Hi,
I would choose a visible WV, invisible is dangerous . choose a nice 520 single mode or 445.450WL. you will be better off and it will be more satifying. Those diodes are usually used in DPSS lasers like 532nm to produce the green beam through a crystal .
This is a 520 single mode.
Rich:)View attachment 66859View attachment 66860View attachment 66861
Thanks for letting me know, are there any cheap-ish diodes that you guys would suggest? I would but a nice pre-made on but customs is a bitch sometimes.

Hi
Then go to DTR laser shop choose a diode with the driver already set u in a 12mm module and choose a lens.
Then you ca buy a custom made or flashlight modded host prewired and add your 12 mm module buy soldering two wires then use heat shrink tube to insulate the solder joints.
Host without any diode will pass through customs I sent many abroad
Rich:)

GhostDog98

Hi
Then go to DTR laser shop choose a diode with the driver already set u in a 12mm module and choose a lens.
Then you ca buy a custom made or flashlight modded host prewired and add your 12 mm module buy soldering two wires then use heat shrink tube to insulate the solder joints.
Host without any diode will pass through customs I sent many abroad
Cool, was thinking of grabbing the "
Oclaro 250mW 637nm Laser Diode
In 20mm Copper Module W/Leads
No Laser Driver
"

And simply making my own driver following these instructions: www. youtube.com/watch?v=2Rjlf7gnXms

Any last minuite things before i order? Would it be very strongly advised to order a pair of safty goggles even though this is ~250mw? Was thinking of ordering some from here: www. survivallaserusa.com/Eagle_Pair__190-400nm___580-760nm_Laser_Safety_Goggles/p1667092_7862077.aspx

Higher the Mitsubishi 500 they are more durable than a 700 and get the driver already set up into the 12mm module
Don’t bother making your own his driver are the best
If you make your own you might loose the diode press the easy button and save yourself the headache

So basically i am tihnking of building a laser of ~300mw, 808nm as my first laser project, i have experience in electrical engineering and have also researched about the safety hazards of lasers and will be wearing goggles for the appropriate wavelength of laser, my question is; Where can i get a diode and driver 'set' that would fit together? I was thinking of a diode of these specs:

Power output: CW 300mW
Wavelength: 808nm
Operating voltage: 2.2V
Sealed size: TO18(5.6mm)
Ebay Itm Number (AU site): 303155210345

What would be a suitable driver for this diode? Is this a really dumb idea even with goggles?
I built a 1+ watt 808nm laser several years ago. I have a CMOS camera just to see IR better, but this wavelength is not totally invisible to most of us. It appears as a rather dim red spot in its profile. Even my higher power 808nm laser is not very interesting to look at, though. There are tons of drivers on eBay to drive 808nm diodes. They are among the least expensive drivers available.

GhostDog98

Another question, cos i don't want to start another thread; If i'm taking apart a dvd reader, know the model number and brand; How feasible would it be to get the laser power? Tried asking other people but noone can find anything about this specific device.... (clarion PS-2684H-E) Ideas?

Encap

Not very easy---if the laser diode power is not in the specs then it's not and you would need testing equipment to figure it out + it would be a used diode.
Pretty much nobody bothers to take apart DVD players anyone with the huge and easy availability of diodes of all types and wavelengths---Has become a thing of the past from when laser diodes were not massively available and sold all over the internet.
Easier and better to just buy a new/unused diode. module, and driver whatever wavelength and output power you want to try---look on eBay for a start--then goggle search "laser diodes"

GhostDog98

Not very easy---if the laser diode power is not in the specs then it's not and you would need testing equipment to figure it out + it would be a used diode.
Pretty much nobody bothers to take apart DVD players anyone with the huge and easy availability of diodes of all types and wavelengths---Has become a thing of the past from when laser diodes were not massively available and sold all over the internet.
Easier and better to just buy a new/unused diode. module, and driver whatever wavelength and output power you want to try---look on eBay for a start--then goggle search "laser diodes"
Turns out the diode has writing on the side of it, "4CRCP362" it has 4 pins and is a closed top diode

Encap

Turns out the diode has writing on the side of it, "4CRCP362" it has 4 pins and is a closed top diode

That number means as much to anyone else as it means to you.
You are 100% on your own if you want to waste time playing with used DVD parts and experimenting with diodes in them.
No listing for that "number" in association with a laser diode exists anywhere on the internet.
Probably is just a manufacturer's batch number or inventory control number some such.

You already have all the answer you are going to get---no information available, it is what it is.

Nobody bothers any longer to pull used diodes out of a garbage DVD drive for several reasons as mentioned already above.

Last edited:
Like the members above suggested...
For your FIRST project get a red Laser Diode from DTR
and also a driver. 80% of the possible Muphy's Law
headaches will be solved and don't forget to get an
appropriate pair of Laser Safety Goggles/Glasses.

Jerry