Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Would like a quick check on my first project to see if I don't go wrong with this

Ey guys, I wanted to start out making the mini mag laser from kipkay but after a few reads I found out this probably wasn't a good idea:whistle:. I know many threads have been started about this project so I just want a quick look over my setup so I know I don't wrong. I went reading the basic info and also took a look at Jayrob's tutorial and Bearded_Galaxy's tutorial.

Now I already ordered some stuff because I got a bit too enthusiastic after kipkay's tutorial so I thought I might give it a try and finish this project.
My question is could you guys check if my setup doesn't kill the diode and if my goggles are good enough for this project.

I have:
1 x red 650 nm 200 mW LD
1 x 5 mW green laser aixiz module(yeah I figured out after a while you could also order empty ones but unfortunately I went a bit too enthusiastic from kipkays tutorial and already ordered one)
1 x Mini Mag host
1 x goggles from ebay link -> 600nm-700nm Safety Glasses Red Laser Protection Goggle | eBay

Still need to order:
1 x 14650 Battery
1 x microdrive v3 current set at 300 mA since the flexdrive is temporarily out of stock, does anybody know if this one is small enough and will do the job and if the current is right( I used the 660 nm red LD from the data thread since I couldn't find info on the 650)

I want to go with Bearded_Galaxy's tutorial, do you guys think this is good enough for a first build or is the heatsink really necessary? And if I use the flashlight without the heatsink do I need to run it in cycles?

Also if you guys think I need to read a bit more because I missed a crucial part on the building of this laser feel free to comment on this, all help is welcome.

Thanks in Advance:D

You can catch Flexdrives for sale in Buy Sell Trade sections here and there.

And about the host itself, well, thing is, that Maglite is terribly difficult to work with. Unless you get one of those Nite Ize tailcap switches, you have no way of actually powering down your laser, since turning the head snaps everything inside in half.

I would highly reccomend some of premade host+heatsink combos here, as they are meant for lasers, as opposed to Maglites.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/guidesman-host-kits-polished-hs-option-driver-heatsinks-60862.html

Also, note that these take different batteries. Well, can still take 14650, but you can fit much larger 18650 inside which is no space wasted.

Everything else looks good.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply, I think I might actually go with that one then and save the mag for a project after getting some experience, I thought the small space in the mag was the only problem, but as I have to buy a switch It might be better to go with another host that also includes heat sink and does have no extra work except for installing the laser. Do you know if I can use that microdrive v3 driver(since I might be able to get this one faster and easier then a flexdrive), or isn't it suitable for the job?

MicroBoost driver is not good for red lasers, because of some connection problems with it, anyhow FlexDrive is V5 now actual version of the driver.

And yes, using a host which has an actual heatsink, and not an aluminium sleeve, it much better option.