Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Would anyone be interested in making a wiki with me?

I was thinking about creating a "laser wiki " for defining terms and the like, would anyone be interested in posting content if i ended up making it? sidenote ill put ads on it and if they make enough i could make it an entire website with a domain.

gozert

I don't think a wiki is really needed. Wikipedia already has pretty much all info you may want to know about lasers and the science behind it. You just gotta know what to search for.

I don't think a wiki is really needed. Wikipedia already has pretty much all info you may want to know about lasers and the science behind it. You just gotta know what to search for.

Yeah i guess, i just think it would be cool to have all the info in one place.

There used to be a laserswiki with some
diodes and run parameters, lenses, things
like that, but it is gone now and doesn't
look like it is coming back.

Well, i went ahead and made it. It's not much so far, and it's still a work in progress, but here it is: Laser Wiki. please help out and post any content you can.

I think this is a good idea! Having all the information in an easy to read wiki & not having to search through tons of websites make it that much easier! :)

+rep for the good idea.

-Alex

I think this is a good idea! Having all the information in an easy to read wiki & not having to search through tons of websites make it that much easier! :)

+rep for the good idea.

-Alex

Encap

Yeah i guess, i just think it would be cool to have all the info in one place.

What information specifically are you thinking is not in one place or on hundreds of places and easy to find already?

As mentioned to you someone else on LPF tried the same thing with adverts and so on--it was a pathetic failure for several reasons..

Be careful see: Wikipedia:plagiarism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I personally would recommend picking a laser info source that is already out there and contributing to it.

What is it---what information do you want on wiki that is not there? DTR's web site pages--like this info --- https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home

Are you aware of what is already on wikipedia---have you actually read it all?

See major wiki laser listings here: https://www.google.com/search?q=laser+wiki&ei=cotZVZq3GsqCsQTjm4GABg

Your list is already there for the most part:
Laser pointer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Laser diode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of laser types - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
This is for specific enthusiast info like
current settings, power curves, voltage
drops and things like that. The info is
out there, but it is spread out across
multiple sites and buried inside forum
threads.

Encap

This is for specific enthusiast info like
current settings, power curves, voltage
drops and things like that. The info is
out there, but it is spread out across
multiple sites and buried inside forum
threads.

I understand what you are saying however as one member put it in a thread about past similar efforts:
" That would be cool however I do not feel too comfortable for 'lazy' people/young kids being able to create high powered lasers that they can use to blind/seriously hurt someone with. There is also no "set" way to make a laser. Unless you are referring to a, batteries, driver, diode, lense, heatsink kind of laser. Those are the diode pumped ones most like to make here. Lasers are hard to make in a good way IMO"

Maybe as an extension to Sam's FAQ perhaps: Sam's Laser FAQ - Preface, Introduction, What is a Laser?, Safety maybe as extension of section on Diode Lasers here: Sam's Laser FAQ - Diode Lasers or a "sticky" thread if someone wanted to spend the time and effort to assemble, in one thread, all the info available already in the LPF section dedicated to Drivers, Test-load, Power Supply, & Batteries here: http://laserpointerforums.com/f67/ Of course using "search" already exists and people often don't use it. Would have to be done by a very knowledgeable and experienced person to be of any real value and not create more questions than it answers, I would think.

You can see some LPF threads of what others started but failed for one reason or another here:http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/laser-wiki-90628.html
and here: http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/new-laserpedia-27922.html

There is http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/the section of LPF Modifications and Experiments also:

Last edited:
Personally I think that this is a great idea. I would have loved to have a place to start when I was first getting into lasers.
Specifically a site made by laser people, for laser people.

I signed up :)

Last edited:
Personally I think that this is a great idea. I would have loved to have a place to start when I was first getting into lasers.

Thanks for the support, and for those against, this is clearly not an "official" wiki and despite what i said i probably wont be able to get a domain. Also what happened to the other one? It looked like it was suspended, any ideas on why so i can avoid it?

I signed up :)

Also thanks for contributing XD