Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Worth upgrading to PGL-III-A???

Hap

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey all,

I talked to a few people over Skype & had a night to sleep on this but I still can't decide.

As most of you know my collection includes pens for now, after looking at the CNI website I decided their PGL hosts look pretty cool. I believe I asked about this earlier but more opinions would be appreciated.

I have the funds for their 405nm PGL-III-A unit and was quoted $100 for their 5mW version but don't know if I should pull the trigger on it.

What do you all think? Are. PGL worth the money & would this be worth maybe $200 since I would like a tripod with it!

Thanks,
Alex

Last edited:

trencheel303

That's ridiculous money for a 5mW 405!

Only you know what you want to do but I think you'd be throwing money away. I suspect you want us to convince you one way or another, if I were you id hang on to what you've got. 5mW of 405 is gonna be PANTS!

Hap

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's ridiculous money for a 5mW 405!

Only you know what you want to do but I think you'd be throwing money away. I suspect you want us to convince you one way or another, if I were you id hang on to what you've got. 5mW of 405 is gonna be PANTS!
Thanks trench for responding,

I did want to get a 5mW 405 in the future & this would be cheaper then my original plan of going with a LG Electra which is around the ball park of $250.

My main points of thinking about PGL's are the fact the host looks pretty neat, and I would like to have a collection of similar looking WL's if that makes any sense :)

-Alex

mortuus

Tha Greenlander its time you buy a real laserbtb or jetbeam laser host, enough laserglow pens lol..

Hap

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tha Greenlander its time you buy a real laserbtb or jetbeam laser host, enough laserglow pens lol..
Hehe :)

I had a laserbtb 650nm pen awhile back, it was quite nice!

-Alex

Pi R Squared

Greenlander I agree with mortuus on this one, for the 405nm anyway. Now I admit I haven't owned or seen a 405 as low as 5mw, but seeing as how they aren't very visible to begin with, I have a hard time imagining having one that's something like 1/100th the power of the one I have. On the other hand though they are more dangerous because they don't look like much, mine at 590mw will burn anything I point it at and yet requires very dim lighting for a visible beam while my 520nm at only 82mw has a far more visible beam. And yes get a tripod if you don't have a couple of them already, I once had an accident taking photos without using a tripod, I am more careful now.

Alan

Hap

Super Moderator
Staff member
Greenlander I agree with mortuus on this one, for the 405nm anyway. Now I admit I haven't owned or seen a 405 as low as 5mw, but seeing as how they aren't very visible to begin with, I have a hard time imagining having one that's something like 1/100th the power of the one I have. On the other hand though they are more dangerous because they don't look like much, mine at 590mw will burn anything I point it at and yet requires very dim lighting for a visible beam while my 520nm at only 82mw has a far more visible beam. And yes get a tripod if you don't have a couple of them already, I once had an accident taking photos without using a tripod, I am more careful now.

Alan
Thanks for chiming in Pi R,

I have tripods for my 635, 532 & 593.5. Im working on getting some tripods for my 473 & 654 but the only ones I have have found are on eBay and cost $18 + $20 for a clamp which is quite a lot.

Do you have a place where I might find them cheaper?

Thanks,
Alex

Hap

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just use two of these from SL here: Clamp Mount & Tripod but I also use a much better Targus tripod I found at Walmart. The clamps on the SL tripods work fine for me and you can screw them onto any tripod. You can see what I use here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/targus-tripod-88257.html And yes that photo is really me.

Alan
Hehe, I saw you before! Thank you though, that a lot better! +rep

Also, I just got a quote back from CNI for shipping for the PGL. The total cost is as follows:

PGL-III-A=$100
Shipping=$75
Total=$175(give or take a few for fees)

LaserGlow Electra=$230

If I get the CNI unit it will be cheaper then LaserGlow's Electra which I was considering getting. $75 for shipping is quite a lot, and if something goes wrong with it, im screwed.

Edit: I think I know what I will do. I get payed on Thursday. After that I don't get payed for 2 weeks & CNI is on holiday until the 28th, so if I decided to still get it then since my paycheck will be on the 26th I'll just go ahead & buy it and see how it goes. If I decide not too oh well :p

-Alex

Last edited: