Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

World's Largest <1mW Rechargeable Pointer

daguin

I saw this on eBay and decided to take a chance. After all, if it came with a case AND a power source, it would be worth $10 even if it didn't work, right?

It arrived yesterday.

Here is the case . . . . Very nice . . . .Worth the $10 alone :)

I open it up to see everything promised me: .95mW Laser AND Power Source ;)

The laser itself is about 13 inches by 1.75 inches

WTF!?! :-/ :-/ :-/

That says, "Output 12VDC"

I plug the power source into the tail of it, the little green light comes on, I press the button in the middle of the laser body, and voila! . . ..95mW goodness ;)

I couldn't get a picture of the dim spot to show up. However, it was "flat" WTF! :-/ (again)

It didn't look right or feel right so I opened it up :eek: ;D

Is that a battery pack???

I decided to leave it plugged in over night.
Sure enough, first thing this morning, I have .95mW of 670nm +/- goodness without it being plugged in :D ;D :p :cool:

So there you have it, the worlds largest <1mW rechargeable red laser pointer

I don't know if I will keep it as a novelty or turn it into a big "burner" ;)

What do you think?

Peace,
dave

brtaman

Wow nice case, I would pay 10 bucks for a case like that :D

That is one HUGE laser though, it looks like it has some very nice diode heatsinking on the other hand? I say turn in into a burner, with all the space you have in there, might as well as add a cappuccino machine, a clock and a tv maybe even an inflatable raft, make it a sort of swiss army laser burner. What fun can you have with anything less than 1mw anyway?

brtaman

daguin

brtaman said:
Wow nice case, I would pay 10 bucks for a case like that :D
That is one HUGE laser though, it looks like it has some very nice diode heatsinking on the other hand? I say turn in into a burner, with all the space you have in there, might as well as add a cappuccino machine, a clock and a tv maybe even an inflatable raft, make it a sort of swiss army laser burner. What fun can you have with anything less than 1mw anyway?
brtaman
You can look right into the beam ;)

Peace,
dave

brtaman

True, true... ;D But you have to light up 2 cubans and close all the windows to see the beam ;)

you can also easily annoy people/cats/dogs with it and not be afraid of blinding them, good times as a kid good times hehe

brtaman

Now THAT is awesome! lol. I'd keep it as is - that's just amazing. I wonder if it was just made that way as a joke, or if (as I'm guessing is more likely) it was back from when red diode lasers were first coming out, and to be taken seriously as a laser product for serious scientific/classroom use the maker had to make it as much like a HeNe as possible.

In any case, I love the utterly gratuitous size and build of the thing. Definitely keep it as is - if you really wanna make a big red burner, sell me that setup for $10 and I'll make a you big honkin heatsink for your burner red for free! Something that insane should be preserved in a museum  ;D (I mean c'mon. Who cares about some old ugly dinosaur bones we dug up from the ground when you could have THIS beauty)

Artix said:
put a 500 mw sld1332v 9mm diode in there :eek:
Blasphemy!

Its awesome BECAUSE it has that 1mW red in it. Stick a high power diode in there and you'll just have another damn DIY red laser.

daguin

pseudonomen137 said:
[quote author=Artix link=1215880170/0#5 date=1215882754]put a 500 mw sld1332v 9mm diode in there :eek:
Blasphemy!
Its awesome BECAUSE it has that 1mW red in it. Stick a high power diode in there and you'll just have another damn DIY red laser.[/quote]

Heh heh hehhhhhhh

Yeah. Actually, it will fit quite nicely in my pointer collection. I can use it whenever I really don't care if the lecture gets side-tracked or not; OR after my students have gotten off on how "old" I am. That would be the perfect time to whip out this humongous laser pointer from the Triassic Period ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I wish I had had the funds available when the hand-held, battery-operated, HeNe was on eBay :'(

Peace,
dave

pseudonomen137 said:
Now THAT is awesome! lol. I'd keep it as is - that's just amazing. I wonder if it was just made that way as a joke, or if (as I'm guessing is more likely) it was back from when red diode lasers were first coming out, and to be taken seriously as a laser product for serious scientific/classroom use the maker had to make it as much like a HeNe as possible.
"Draper" (the name on the side of the laser) is the name of a drapery company. There is a label on the "bottom" of the unit. I couldn't get a focused picture of it, but here is what it says:

Draper Screen certifies that this device complies with 21 CFR 1040.10 & 1040.11.
Draper Shade and Screen Co. Inc.
411 S. Pearl St., Spiceland
IN 47385, USA
Made in Australia

MODEL LINEAR 2
MARCH 1993

I don't know what the drapery installers used it for, but it is most definitely a "working" unit.

Peace,
dave

Benm

I wonder what the people building this were thinking... lets make it rechargeable, portable, but put enough batteries in there so it can run for a forthnight without needing a charge?

brtaman

Benm said:
I wonder what the people building this were thinking... lets make it rechargeable, portable, but put enough batteries in there so it can run for a forthnight without needing a charge?

Maybe it was designed for people with giant hands?

daguin

GooeyGus said:
you better use that in one of your lectures.... that would be hilarious ;D

I walk into class a couple of minutes late, carrying the case :cool:

The students all quiet down as I take the lectern

I give them one stern look to let them know that I am NOT in a mood to be screwed with today :mad:

I open the case and extract my humongacle (I made that up :) )pointer to begin lecture, making broad strokes in the air with the laser :D :p

The students don't know whether to s**t or go blind. :-/ ;) :D ;D :-/ :-[ :p

Inside, I'm dying ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Peace,
dave

Chicxulub

That has got to be one of the coolest laser pointers I've ever seen.

Someday I want to collect antique laser pointers. Like that battery powered hene. lol that thing was cool.

GooeyGus

daguin said:
[quote author=GooeyGus link=1215880170/0#10 date=1215898460]you better use that in one of your lectures.... that would be hilarious  ;D

I walk into class a couple of minutes late, carrying the case :cool:

The students all quiet down as I take the lectern

I give them one stern look to let them know that I am NOT in a mood to be screwed with today  :mad:

I open the case and extract my humongacle (I made that up :)  )pointer to begin lecture, making broad strokes in the air with the laser  :D :p

The students don't know whether to s**t or go blind.  :-/ ;) :D ;D :-/ :-[ :p

Inside, I'm dying  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Peace,
dave

[/quote]

genius  ;D

Benm

It sure looks like something that could shoot holes through the wall... might be very nice to keep students quiet.