Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WOOT blu ray works, but not so woot

D

D.S.Darkness

OK YA so i got my blue ray laser working woot woot, but its not able to burn, and my multimeter is say that its running at about 130mA.

im using Daedals DIY driver EXACTLY as shown lol,

2-10ohm resistors
1- 25ohm pot
1- 47mf 35volt capacitor
1- IN4001 diode
and the LM317 regulator

im using a 9v( brand new) as the power supply

yes, everything is hooked up right ive checked that. just any suggestions? other than buying a driver.

daguin

D.S.Darkness said:
OK YA so i got my blue ray laser working woot woot, but its not able to burn, and my multimeter is say that its running at about 130mA.
2-10ohm resistors
1- 25ohm pot
1- 47mf 35volt capacitor
1- IN4001 diode
and the LM317 regulator
yes, everything is hooked up right ive checked that. just any suggestions? other than buying a driver.

First, focus your laser. The "dot" from a violet laser is VERY small when focused correctly. At burning distances, it is just a tiny pinpoint. If you are not getting it down to just a pinpoint, something is wrong.

Second, unless you have a laser power meter (LPM) you have no idea what its output is.

Third, 9V batteries suck for powering blu-ray diodes. The voltage sags below regulation very quickly. Change the power source over to better batteries and/or a bench power source.

Peace,
dave

daguin

D.S.Darkness said:
thx, ill be sure to try all that  ;)

You're welcome. Be sure to report your results. If one of the above is a problem (like it won't focus to a pinpoint) we may be able to help you get back on track.

Peace,
dave

D

D.S.Darkness

WOOT OMG IT WORKED, thx for the tips lol, i adjusted the lens so it was tiny, used my welding goggles to reduce at the glare.

daguin

D.S.Darkness said:
WOOT OMG IT WORKED, thx for the tips lol, i adjusted the lens so it was tiny, used my welding goggles to reduce at the glare.

Sweet! It's a damned good feeling isn't it. Don't set the house on fire ;)

Peace,
dave

I was acually wondering myself, could you buy a electrical outlet plug combined with a 9V regulator to power a blu-ray?

daguin

randomlugia said:
I was acually wondering myself, could you buy a electrical outlet plug combined with a 9V regulator to power a blu-ray?

It would depend on how well "regulated" it was and how much current it was capable of providing. Can you get 150mA of very smooth current from the power source?

Peace,
dave

I'm talking about a wall plug. I would have no idea, and I'm not even sure if they sell those.

daguin

randomlugia said:
I'm talking about a wall plug. I would have no idea, and I'm not even sure if they sell those.

I stated that poorly. It should not have been a question.

If you can get 150mA of "smooth" power out of the power source, it doesn't matter what the origin of that power is. If you can get 150mA of smooth power out of the power source, then it could be used to power the diode.

Peace,
dave

Ok, I think I understand. I was saying get 9V from the power source with a driver. I might try, thanks. ;D

randomlugia said:
Ok, I think I understand. I was saying get 9V from the power source with a driver. I might try, thanks.  ;D

The 9Volt Adapter would replace the 9Volt battery.... not the LM317 Driver.. :cool:

daguin said:
[quote author=D.S.Darkness link=1226703789/0#0 date=1226703789]OK YA so i got my blue ray laser working woot woot, but its not able to burn, and my multimeter is say that its running at about 130mA.
2-10ohm resistors
1- 25ohm pot
1- 47mf 35volt capacitor
1- IN4001 diode
and the LM317 regulator

First, focus your laser.  The "dot" from a violet laser is VERY small when focused correctly.  At burning distances, it is just a tiny pinpoint.  If you are not getting it down to just a pinpoint, something is wrong.

Second, unless you have a laser power meter (LPM) you have no idea what its output is.

Third, 9V batteries suck for powering blu-ray diodes.  The voltage sags below regulation very quickly.  Change the power source over to better batteries and/or a bench power source.

Peace,
dave[/quote]

Would you please explain how to focus your laser?

daguin

ska8r411 said:
Would you please explain how to focus your laser?

For this you would need to have the diode in a module (AixiZ or Merideth). In the front of the module is a lens in a "nut". You simply screw the nut in or out until the laser is focused at the distance you desire. If your diode is NOT in a module, the only thing you can do is attempt to align lenses in front of the diode to focus the light.

Peace,
dave

You simply screw the nut in or out until the laser is focused at the distance you desire.
Could I just add that the slightest turn on the lens makes a lot of difference, we are not talking half a turn at a time when you get near the focus point we are talking 1 or 2 degrees of turn......

Regards rog8811