Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WL 473nm S3??

So I am just reporting that WL may or may not make a 473nm laser

The laser will be in the S3 (if they make it.)

Prices (If they make it, they may not be completely accurate either)
50mw - 499.95$
100mw- 999.95$

Sources:
Wicked Lasers | Facebook

Ablaze

Holy shit! Really? This new 470nm diode that can go up to 80mw looks more attractive in that light. Maybe I should sell them for $300.

I should have the sample in my hands day after tomorrow, and then we'll see if it really exists.

not sure if that was sarcasm or not.. hard to tell in text.. but there's no such thing as a '470nm diode' at least not commercially produced anyway. 473nm is DPSS. just like 532nm.

Ablaze

That's what everyone keeps saying.

All I can say at the moment is that I have been dealing with this company for a while now and they've always sent me what they said. A couple of weeks ago they told me they had a new 470nm diode laser. I confirmed a couple of times to make sure it wasn't a typo, and they insisted it was a 470nm diode laser. So I purchased a sample and it should be here this evening.

Trevor

That's what everyone keeps saying.

All I can say at the moment is that I have been dealing with this company for a while now and they've always sent me what they said. A couple of weeks ago they told me they had a new 470nm diode laser. I confirmed a couple of times to make sure it wasn't a typo, and they insisted it was a 470nm diode laser. So I purchased a sample and it should be here this evening.

I've been intrigued from day one. My money's on a mislabeled 405nm or 445nm (single-mode) - but I'd love to hear the verdict as soon as you know. :D

Trevor

The single modes are 450nm (440-460nm) diodes I believe, They're a slightly different wavelength than the multimode 445's (435-455nm and i've seen diodes close to both extremes)

My bet is it's a mislabeled 450 or maybe 405 as trevor said. Kind of like those 'ebay 635nm diodes' were.. Those sellers swore up and down that they were 635nm too because that's what their supplier told them they were.

Last edited:

Ablaze

^^^^Cant wait. How many mm is the diode, 3,5.4 or 9 ?
Sorry but I have no idea. This isn't the raw diode, this is a module. The module is 16x60mm to be compatible with all my other lasers.

rhd

I've been intrigued from day one. My money's on a mislabeled 405nm or 445nm (single-mode) - but I'd love to hear the verdict as soon as you know. :D

The single modes are 450nm (440-460nm) diodes I believe, They're a slightly different wavelength than the multimode 445's (435-455nm and i've seen diodes close to both extremes)

My bet is it's a mislabeled 450 or maybe 405 as trevor said. Kind of like those 'ebay 635nm diodes' were.. Those sellers swore up and down that they were 635nm too because that's what their supplier told them they were.

If you look at the photo provided, it has the output colour and shape of a 405, but of course it's closer in power and "claimed wavelength" to a single-mode 450.

I'm not completely ruling out the possibility that it IS a 470. We're starting to see hints of higher wavelength blues out there. And with all the research going into greens (which are basically just InGaN diodes pushed higher), it's reasonable that some of the progress made on that front would trickle back into the blues.

That said, before the 635s, we saw lots of false starts before getting real access to the Mits 300s.

um a module is not a diode a diode is a diode
if they cant give you a raw diode its dpss

considering its actually 470....

you can buy a diode in a module but i dont see why they would only send you a module

Last edited:

Ablaze

Umm.. well, I've never built a laser from parts. If they sent me the raw diode it would take a lot of time and effort for me to put it together. This is far more useful to me.

Perhaps they can send raw diodes. I don't actually know.

rhd

um a module is not a diode a diode is a diode
if they cant give you a raw diode its dpss

considering its actually 470....

you can buy a diode in a module but i dont see why they would only send you a module

We went over this in the other thread quite a bit. The clear consensus is that this isn't DPSS. Both because his source explicitly said so, and also because a DPSS module at 80mW for ~$100 would be really damn amazing itself. Almost as amazing as a 470nm diode ;)

His source seems to only sell modules, not diodes. To be honest, the module looks exactly like the modules DinoDirect used to sell. Same look / style. Though admittedly when I glimpsed his prices, they were probably a bit too high to be DinoDirect-related.

Umm.. well, I've never built a laser from parts. If they sent me the raw diode it would take a lot of time and effort for me to put it together. This is far more useful to me.

Perhaps they can send raw diodes. I don't actually know.

well it is supposed to be here today right? i guess we will find out ....

I just saw the google doc spec sheet on these.. Going by that picture, there's no way this is 470nm. It's 450nm tops.. The reason being that 470nm is plenty high enough to not have a violet tinge on ANY camera. Even the crappy color rendition on my kodak camera that sees 445 as purple.. sees 473nm as blue with zero violet hues.

midias

Wicked made a S3 473 DPSS a long time ago I guess they are bringing it back. Looks about 1/2 the price now