Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wiring help for new laser

Hello people at LPF, my name is (obviously) Mike. I'm new at building lasers (however not at gawking at their awesomeness), and I need some help.

I've been trolling anonymously for a few days looking for an answer with the infamous search button, but it seems I've been unable to locate a clear-cut answer.

I've got my 405nm diode. (More like this one here)

My driver...here (Although I'm seriously thinking this will have to be changed. I don't believe this to be the correct one, but I have it anyways. If someone could chime in on a better recommendation, that'd be awesome.)

I'm not sure exactly how to wire it so that I can wire a momentary on/off button to it. I'll not be using this in a host for a while, if at all, so I'm thinking I'd cut the case pin down as far as I can go, and wire the diode's + and - to the corresponding areas on the driver board. Then wire the driver to the on/off switch using the B+ and B- to the switch's + and - side.

Just like everyone else, I don't really wanna toast a diode due to an electrical goof up (and after my experiences in car stereos, I can tell you I've been known to mess some electrical stuff up lol), so any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks anyone,

Mike W.

That Driver is not going to work for your 405nm Laser.
That driver is set to output 1.1 Amps of current and will
surely blow your LD.

The 405nm LD you linked to has a suggested current
of <400mA.

You could build your own linear DDL driver for only a few $$...
You can read up on the DDL Linear Current Driver here...

http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/diy-homemade-laser-diode-driver-26339.html

Jerry

Last edited:
Firstly, thanks for spotting an error in my driver choice! (That's one diode spared, thanks LPF) Well, I was hoping for a more ready-made option to begin laser building. I know there are some, but that certainly is a dandy page to have. Okay... so switching drivers... I'm thinking this one would be more appropriate?

Moving forward, would the idea I had in my original post on how to wire diode/driver/switch together work?

Mike

Last edited:
Have a look around the BST section, you might be able to get one a little cheaper and quicker

if you use a g-1 lens for the output you will get a great little burner

i have just ar glass lenses for now... the g1 may come at a later time ;p

can anyone affirm my thought on how this should be wired?

Blord

The wiring should be ok. Just remember to put the switch to the battery side of the driver. You really shouldn't drive it beyond 400mA for the sake of the diode. I had two 12x diodes and they died just above 400mA. My third is set at 360mA and it is plenty powerfull.

Awesome. Thanks! ...

Got some bummer news: My diode disappeared. I think I accidently put it in the trash when cleaning and didnt notice... >_< I'll keep hunting in hopes of finding it, I don't want that ignoramus mistake on my shoulders...

Ouch! If it make you feel any better, you're not alone with that particular mistake :eek: (not a diode in my case. My screw-up was much larger and harder to miss.)

Hope you find it!

EDIT - Oh, if it does turn up, listen to these people regarding safe currents for a specific diode. You'll enjoy the longer life way more than you would the extra power.

Last edited:
Okay... Well I've sent the guy 2 messages now, and gotten no updates at all about the driver boards. (And he's posted on the forums since then, so I'll be frank and say I don't necessarily enjoy what's going on--no product, information, or replies ;\ )

I'll be ordering a BDR-SO6J diode for my replacement diode... According to what I've read, it seems like a better diode than the one I originally had anyways.