Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Will this work good? Really simple laser "driver"

kake

www-felesmagus.com/pictures/lasers/schematic-jpg (By some weird reason i cant post a image or a link, but just remove the -'s and add .'s and it will work :))

Replacing the 1Kohm resistor with 1Kohm potmeter (so i can adjust it), will that schematic work and give the stonetek's sony 16x diode in aixiz housing a good, long life?
If yes; What can i do to make it stronger without damaging something?
If no; What is the next simplest solution?

Thank for all answers. Good answers will be rewarded with cake.

Re: Will this work good? Really simple laser "driv

Nonono. Thats almost no better than running straight off batteries, in fact all that resistor does is limit current to the LED. No point at all.

Try a LM317 circuit, the one Daedal designed, or buy a driver from me. link in my signature.

Lorgar

From that drawing the LD is running right off the batts the resistor is only on the LED.
That would be almost instant death for any LD.
You need at least a 47uf 10-16v cap to prevent spikes and a resistor to limit the current otherwise you will kill it very fast.

Do a search for LD drivers and you should find some solutions that will work.
I played it safe and made this one http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1185701612
As i type this i see I was a little slow heh

kake

BlueFusion:
Well - i hope thats not enough to stample me as a complete idiot - yet! :p

How much will your driver cost for one, shipping to Norway? And.. sorry for more stupid questions, how do i use it? Should i just solder the module onto it, and use like 7 LR6 batteries (10.5v)? Does it come with a potmeter or something, so i can easily adjust it for giving not to much not not-much (relly good in english, aye?) electricity to the laser? Or didn't i get it? :p

Lorgar: Yeah. I see that now  :-[

Will this work: battery3v - 47uf 10-16 cap - potmeter (what strenght?) - -] Laser diode
    |------------------------------------------------ -]

ASCII schematics is the shit!

No that won't. Shipping to Norway - you might want to speak to yew.sir-name, as he is possibly distributing them in Europe.

I would recommend using 4 AA or AAA batteries. The 10V is simply the maximum input voltage you can give it. And yes it is adjustable. Read up in my thread :)

kake

Hmm.. The thing that seems easyest and cheapest now is just making Daedal's circuit. My local component pusher doesnt have the LM317 chip tough, but when i searched for it, i got this: "LM317AEMP". Is that the same chip/will it do the job? If yes, i'll probably just make Daedal's circuit. :)

kake

Nevermin really, my component pusher has LM317T - that IS the same one that Daedal used, right? :p

yep!

um, component pusher... in english, that's kinds funny. pusher is usually a term used to describe a drug dealer, etc

kake

Thanks for all answers! Cake will be given. ;D

And BlueFusion, i really know about that pusher thing, but i just couldn't remember a better word :-/

shop, store, distributor, dealer even :p

mmm, MUST HAVE DELICIOUS CAKE!!!!!!!!!

Gazoo

Lorgar said:
You need at least a 47uf 10-16v cap to prevent spikes

I have stopped using 47uf capacitors. I am using 10uf 16 volt capacitors with zero problems. And they are easy to fit in the Aixiz module if soldered directly to the diode.. :)

kake

It's not important to me that it is small, so i will just use 47uf capacitor for safety reasons :)

C

Chris.

I've been using a 0.1uF 63V cap for 2 months, no problems..

My current (punny) driver is using one .1uF and one 10uF. Both of which, as well as the oops-which-way-did-those-cells-go-in-again diode fit inside the AixiZ module. :D

Edit I didn't mean to post just yet.

I really don't think it matters too much the capacity of the Cap when running on battery power, or on a well engineered supply.

Gazoo

I am beginning to think so too and we have been over this capacitor thing dozens of times. In fact I am beginning to wonder if it is needed at all, or if it would be better off being put on the power supply side. I also think it would depend on the regulator and the power supply or batteries.

For example I am using a 7805 to power my blu-ray. Since I am not using this as a current regulator, I am more comfortable having the capacitor soldered across the diode. But using current regulators such as the 317 or 7135, I wonder if there are any spikes. And then there are the flashlight regulators such as the Dorcy... I do wish I had a scope..lol.

But to be safe I will continue using capacitors across the laser diode and keep recommending it.

hmm. I actually have an old oscilloscope, I will see if I can get any enlightenment from it. Ironically it needs a capacitor replaced in its PSU ;D