Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Will pay someone to repair my 445nm 3.1w sci-fi laser

Well being a noob I put the batteries in backward. Willing to pay anyone who can help me fix it. Thanks!

Just contact thejoker301 about this and he will help you as it is his product! :) He has great customer support from what I've heard

Just contact thejoker301 about this and he will help you as it is his product! :) He has great customer support from what I've heard

I have not been able to reach him for weeks. I've emailed and pmd. Not sure what he is up to now

Odd, don't most decent lasers circuitry handle momentary reverse power polarity when batteries are inserted backwards?

I need to look into the legalities of repairing lasers, as opposed to manufacturing and selling.

Odd, don't most decent lasers circuitry handle momentary reverse power polarity when batteries are inserted backwards?

well afaik

Yes and no

some I think are 'better' protectors than others but..

-- if I understand DTRs explaination -

there are variables- and in some cases I *think* what happens is the cheaper driver is 'sacrificed' to save the more pricy diode-(like if you KEEP trying) - apparently how long you try or how many times you try it the wrong way ,
that makes a diff..

I tell newcomers to NEVER test twice (dont click it off and back on even ONE more time) if the lasers does not lase- doing it more and/or longer may cause a driver fail- since there are many lasers both ways- JETLASERS has never made a laser than takes neg to the tailcap- others - you makers,, you need to check.

I suggest a mark placed permanetly where you can find it - needs not be large or detracting from the look of the laser or you can stick a lable on it-
engraver tool and magnify glass & tiny mark -

another bad idea is just reversing the battery when at first it does not lase- that test method should be a last resort-( unless you haavee it marked of course) as you could have had it correct the first time and the laser fail to lase for some other reason. And you should not count on that* reason* to protect you if you reverse the battery and its wrong.

I may not be 100% correct on all this but do feel I have not given any harmful wrong advice- also plz dont ask me how i know some of this stuff (as I dont want to admit that fact-:(:whistle::oops: )

Attachments

• Pangolin diode graveyard.jpg
    Pangolin diode graveyard.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 74
Thanks hakzaw1 :)

I should of elaborated more than the one word = momentary.
You did a great job as usual for going into much better detail. It is comparable to a shear pin in a drive train, much better to snap a $2 pin in a snow blowers front auger that can be replaced in less than 3 minutes than to rip apart a $200 transmission that takes several hours to fix.

BTW, wow, what a graveyard!!

I could help you, if you are willing to pay for a driver and maybe a diode (hopefully it's not dead too). Not sure I would ask anything, just assurance that would pay for postage+parts. I know it's frustrating not being able to get in touch with proper support.

Thanks hakzaw1 :)

I should of elaborated more than the one word = momentary.
You did a great job as usual for going into much better detail. It is comparable to a shear pin in a drive train, much better to snap a $2 pin in a snow blowers front auger that can be replaced in less than 3 minutes than to rip apart a $200 transmission that takes several hours to fix.

perfect example- -TY

do you work on Fords???? ha ha

BTW, wow, what a graveyard!!
Yeah- I get confused a lot- these are from just this year too.. j/k

I could help you, if you are willing to pay for a driver and maybe a diode (hopefully it's not dead too). Not sure I would ask anything, just assurance that would pay for postage+parts. I know it's frustrating not being able to get in touch with proper support.

+6 for that kind offer- I bet Joker would be happy to do something nice for you and save this laser from a trip to Israel and back.

Do it - if he allows- I will be happy to add something MORE to the box I am getting ready to send to you- Instant Karma ( er.. well it will go out asap)

3.1-- thats not the Ben Q-- iirc-right?

if it IS a toasted diode he may opt for 2W instead and a savings in diode cost. I think Joker mentioned what drivers he uses in a thread.

hope it can be fixed- IMO he makes excellent lasers.

hak:beer: