Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Will my Arctic Spyder III make it through customs? ( Canada )

Valk

5 days ago, I ordered the 1W Arctic from Wicked Lasers, and knew it would take awhile to deliver, but started to wonder if it would make it past the Customs at the border. Are lasers of this power allowed here and do they inspect each package? I'm not worried about the shipping time ( although it may be months ) but I'm worried about if it gets to customs and then they reject it.

What do you think?

Hmm, I've heard bad things about WL (Wicked lasers) and customs. I believe they completely shut down their USA customer base because of this issue, I know Canada customs are the same if not maybe a bit more lenient. I've only seen one case where a laser was seized by Canada customs, I'll edit this post with the link to that case.

Found it, and another one:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/c...nada-seized-my-laser-letter-inside-65550.html
http://laserpointerforums.com/f53/canada-customs-seized-my-laser-89303.html

Unfortunately, the first thread was regarding an Arctic from WL, same as yours.

Also, I'd recommend next time looking around more at laser companies with a bit better of a reputation, such as Sanwu.

Last edited:

Valk

I know now that WL probably wasn't the best choice of a company to order a laser from, but all I'm concerned about is if it makes it past customs.

That thread was a good while ago ('07) and I didnt even know WL had the arctic back then, and have heard that back in 2010-2012 that people in Canada received their Arctics without seizure from Customs.

Sta

You should cancel your order immediately!! WL is a vile company and I would not touch them with a 10-foot pole. Please buy a laser from Sanwu, or any reputable company. But please, not Wicked Lasers.

I know now that WL probably wasn't the best choice of a company to order a laser from, but all I'm concerned about is if it makes it past customs.

That thread was a good while ago ('07) and I didnt even know WL had the arctic back then, and have heard that back in 2010-2012 that people in Canada received their Arctics without seizure from Customs.

I'm actually very surprised that it would be caught in 2007, as laser import laws in Canada had a big jump in reinforcement starting in 2012.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/c...rs-official-info-release-laserglow-73129.html

Also; if it were me ordering this, I would honestly be more concerned being on the import blacklist rather than the laser being seized.

ARG

If they catch it they will confiscate it, no doubt. They're always taking my freaking lightbulbs.

Whether or not they check the package is a game of roulette.

Last edited:

Encap

The time to ask such a question is before you order not after that fact---when whatever is done is done already. Nobody on this Forum can answer your question--nobody on LPF has anything to do with what Canadian Customs does or does not stop.
As ARG says: " If they catch it they will confiscate it, no doubt. They're always taking my freaking lightbulbs.
Whether or not they check the package is a game of roulette. "

WL is not a good choice --- they are low quality way overpriced lasers. As others have said you shold cancel your order unless you have to have only a WL product for whatever reason. That being said, you really should have asked WL your question. Apparently you did not even notice or read WL's "Our Guarentees" which appears on every product page of their web site.
"We guarantee delivery to every country in the world (except US, AU, CH, and NZ) or your money back. We guarantee your laser will be free from defects for a full year from the date of receipt. We guarantee a 30-day money back return policy"

On their "Delivery guarentee" page they say: "As part of our delivery guarantee, we will ship the order again or issue a full refund at your request if in case the package is lost or taken by customs. " See: Delivery Guarantee ? Wicked Lasers

With regard to Canada --anything Class 3B or 4 is illegal to import, sell , or even give away for free.

"Quick summary: As of June 2011, it is illegal to sell or provide high-powered portable lasers (Class 3B and Class 4) to consumers in Canada. That means you. This restriction applies to "portable lasers", which we take to mean lasers with a battery compartment.
-If you attempt to import a portable laser which is Class 3B or higher you can expect to have it seized, as we have seen already.
-If you attempt to sell or make available a portable laser which is Class 3B or higher, Health Canada has an incredible array of powers to utilize against you, including product seizure, mandatory recall, huge fines, etc. Note, it doesn't need to be a sale. Giving one of these to your brother for free would be considered a violation." from: http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/canadian-restrictions-portable-lasers-official-info-release-laserglow-73129.html

Common sense should tell you nobody on LPF determines any of WL's policies nor if Canadian Customs will or won't stop the shipment coming to you.

You pay your pennies and take your chances. If it gets stopped you will get a letter for Canadian Customs ---you can report it to WL and they will ship another one--they are so overpirced they could ship several replacenments and still make money so...

Last edited:
Not sure why everyone has to be so smart allic when answering questions on forums. If the package is not labled "laser" and if the address itself isn't something directly associated with WL id assume you'll be fine.
I love my arctic man I hope you get yours

Valk

Thanks, I hope I get it too
They say they mark their packages not as a laser in a PM that they sent to me

Also, I received my tracking number about 9 days after I ordered it ( Aug 8 )
It has been in the Netherlands since