Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Will a short drop kill a a130 445 diode? AKA OH F*%$!

Well I think I blew my first diode, I had my ~1w 445nm roll off of a table about 1.5-2ft onto carpet/plastic carpet protector (computer chair) while off. When I went to turn it on it was dim, like really really dim. So I swapped batteries and nothing. So I unscrewed everything (cree aurora c6 with buckdriver) and reassembled. When I turned it on it was about full tilt, I turned it off then back on and it was dim. Tried dis/reassembling but it stayed dim. Ive checked the draw and its like 0.02 on the 10A setting on my multi. Ive tried direct powering the pill and driver and still dim. I checked the neg solder spots for the driver and their fine. Also strangely if the diode gets bumped lightly it changes from 445 blue to like a cyan sorta color and a bit dimmer. All this leads me to believe I popped the diode... Gravity you have won again, cheating bastard.

I have had mine roll off the table onto a hardwood floor (3ft)and it still works just fine, maybe it depends on how it lands. I know someone else that dropped a green and messed up the crystals.

Recheck all the solder joints, including those from the diode to the driver.

A short drop should not be able to damage any components.
Powering the laser with an intermittent connection could cause problems, though.

Well Ive check all the points I can without dissambling the pill, its the $50 host + driver + heatsink in the forsale area. The driver is a round pcb soldered onto the pill. Waiting to hear back from Garoq before I take stuff further apart.

EDIT: Well I think it could be a driver issue, after letting it sit all night I tossed a few half dead lifepo 3v batteries and got enough output to lightly burn my armrest when focused down. When I turned it off then on it was less output, same when I turned off and on again after that. However Im getting issues similar to the thread "Bright than instantly dim".

Anyone know of anywhere selling test loads for cheap?

EDIT 2: Well to be sure I ordered an empty cree aurora host
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15969 , heatsink from Mohrenberg and a $1.98 1.25a buckdriver that I found yob and several others to be using from DX. So once it all arrives Ill know for a fact if its the driver or the diode. (I plan on selling one of the "kits" to cover part of the cost of a new diode if its that.)

Last edited:

Montez

Check the solder joints from the pill to the driver. The driver is soldered to aluminum and a drop could cause those to break loose.

I tried that, the solders look good and the multi only shows a tiny normal amount of resistance in the connection

18 inch drop from couch to carpet- a-130 inside an Ehgmus host 18650
result -dead 445. the fall was not the culprit

It was the sudden stopping on the carpet.
hak

Well Im almost 100% sure its the driver. Messed with it and managed to get it to draw 500ma or so which gave a nice beam but not as nice as when it was drawing 1.2a. Im sending the pill/driver to Garoq who has been very helpful. If I wanted another really easy assembly 1w 445, Id totally go through him and survivallaser.

Garoq

Well Im almost 100% sure its the driver. Messed with it and managed to get it to draw 500ma or so which gave a nice beam but not as nice as when it was drawing 1.2a. Im sending the pill/driver to Garoq who has been very helpful. If I wanted another really easy assembly 1w 445, Id totally go through him and survivallaser.

Thanks. :) I've updated the tutorial to recommend that you apply a little silicone sealant to the holes where the driver wires exit the pill, just to reduce the effect of wire movement during assembly and handling (and falls).